- All News
- Search News
- UROP Associate Director Catalina Ormsby Receives Distinguished Diversity Leaders Award
- UROP Welcomes New Director: Dr. Michelle Ferrez
- Thirty Years of UROP: Explore More
- 30th Anniversary of UROP Program
- A two-way street: UROP Peer Facilitators support first-year, second-year, and transfer students in their research and academics — and learn from them in the process
- UROP adapts to COVID crisis
- Corey J. Schiffman, MD
- Brent Frey, DDS
- Jane Brown, PhD Candidate
- Yaera Spraggins, Recently Published UROP Alumni
- Scott Koenigbauer, PhD Candidate
- Olivia Negris, Doctoral Candidate
- Michael DiDonato, UROP Alumni
- Vivian Kurtz UROP Alumni
- Geoffrey Jenkins, UROP Alumni
- Rhonda Fields, MSW - UROP Alumni
- Trey Thomas UROP Alumni
- Elizabeth Schill UROP Alumni
- Ryan Shami UROP Alumni
- Melissa Manley, PhD Candidate
- Tejash Patel, PhD
- GradeCraft helps UROP students become more curious and better researchers
- Lamira Ray, MPH
- Joshua Hurlburt, DDS
- Megan Wampler - UROP Alumni
- UROP Student Spotlight - Yasmeen Berry
- Celina Romano, JD, PhD Candidate
- Mikel Haggadone, PhD Candidate
- Colby Hanley, UROP Alumni
- Ian Waters, PhD
- Yannah Melle UROP Alumni
- Nida Ali, MPH
- Julia Wang, MD-PhD
- Ryan McWay, Research Area Specialist Associate
- Aracely Marroquin, CCSFP Researcher Awarded Grant
- Undergraduate student research spring symposium goes virtual
- Shannon Shaughnessy UROP Alumni
- Asa Smith, PhD, RN
- Lisa Barrett, PhD
- Kartik Bhatt, MPH
- Sari Grossman UROP Alumni
- Jake Gibson - UROP Alumni
- Erin Ealba Bumann, DDS, PhD, MS
- Archived News
- Lessons from virtual summer fellowship in Detroit linger for students
- All Events
What years did you participate in UROP?
I participated in UROP my freshman (2016-2017) and sophomore years (2017-2018).
What UROP Program(s) were you a part of?
As part of my experience in UROP I worked with a history professor, gathering data for her book.
What made you choose UROP?
I decided to apply for UROP because I thought it would be an excellent opportunity to try something new. I had no idea what research entailed and found myself incredibly curious. I was excited to jump into historical work and thought this would be a good program to do so. The guided process which included applications and classes was comforting to me as I tried to branch out and learn new skills.
What do you think you have learned from your UROP experience?
UROP allowed me to explore my interests and develop skills that are now crucial to my life path. I realized the complex nature of university research and I learned that I wanted to be a part of it. I gained skills in developing my own projects, navigating the social network involved in good research, and presenting my work in professional venues.
What is the extent to which you have kept in contact with your Research Mentor?
Unfortunately, I have largely lost touch with my UROP mentor. However, through them, I was able to form more lasting bonds within the History Department.
How did your UROP experience shape or inform the next steps you took in your academic and professional journey?
My UROP experience pushed me forward in research. When I left the program, I pursued paid research opportunities and devoted myself to an honors thesis. I have since decided that I am interested in pursuing a PhD.
What advice would you give to a current UROP student?
I would tell students to find a lab with a project they are passionate about and to stick with it. Do your best to establish personal bonds with your mentor, but be sure to ask questions about your project and the skills you are learning as part of your project.
What are some recent publications or accomplishments that you are proud of?
Last June I took a trip to Paris and was able to complete original research in the Bibliothèque nationale de France. I read manuscripts in their pre-modern French, learned to navigate microfilm, and gained crucial sources for my thesis.
Is there any other advice you would like to impart to current or future UROP students?
Stick with it! The experience you are gaining is valuable! I use Zotero everyday!