- All News
- Search News
- UROP Associate Director Catalina Ormsby Receives Distinguished Diversity Leaders Award
- UROP Welcomes New Director: Dr. Michelle Ferrez
- Thirty Years of UROP: Explore More
- 30th Anniversary of UROP Program
- A two-way street: UROP Peer Facilitators support first-year, second-year, and transfer students in their research and academics — and learn from them in the process
- UROP adapts to COVID crisis
- Corey J. Schiffman, MD
- Brent Frey, DDS
- Jane Brown, PhD Candidate
- Yaera Spraggins, Recently Published UROP Alumni
- Scott Koenigbauer, PhD Candidate
- Olivia Negris, Doctoral Candidate
- Michael DiDonato, UROP Alumni
- Vivian Kurtz UROP Alumni
- Geoffrey Jenkins, UROP Alumni
- Rhonda Fields, MSW - UROP Alumni
- Trey Thomas UROP Alumni
- Elizabeth Schill UROP Alumni
- Ryan Shami UROP Alumni
- Melissa Manley, PhD Candidate
- Tejash Patel, PhD
- GradeCraft helps UROP students become more curious and better researchers
- Lamira Ray, MPH
- Joshua Hurlburt, DDS
- Megan Wampler - UROP Alumni
- UROP Student Spotlight - Yasmeen Berry
- Celina Romano, JD, PhD Candidate
- Mikel Haggadone, PhD Candidate
- Colby Hanley, UROP Alumni
- Ian Waters, PhD
- Yannah Melle UROP Alumni
- Nida Ali, MPH
- Julia Wang, MD-PhD
- Ryan McWay, Research Area Specialist Associate
- Aracely Marroquin, CCSFP Researcher Awarded Grant
- Undergraduate student research spring symposium goes virtual
- Shannon Shaughnessy UROP Alumni
- Asa Smith, PhD, RN
- Archived News
- Lessons from virtual summer fellowship in Detroit linger for students
- All Events
What years did you participate in UROP?
What UROP Program(s) were you a part of?
Traditional UROP as a Freshman, Engineering Discipline
What made you choose UROP?
I wanted to gain research experience because I had never done research before so I was curious.
What do you think you have learned from your UROP experience?
I learned a tremendous amount from my UROP experience. In addition to the technical knowledge specific to my research, I learned how to program, search for and read scientific literature, communicate technical information effectively, the scientific process of computational research, and much more! My UROP experience also helped me refine skills such as how to manage my time and competing priorities, and stay organized. I also gained insight about graduate school and most importantly learned from the many perspectives of the members of the group I was a part of!
What is the extent to which you have kept in contact with your Research Mentor?
I continued working with my mentor outside of UROP my second year, and we continue to catch up periodically since the two years that he was my mentor!
How did your UROP experience shape or inform the next steps you took in your academic and professional journey?
My UROP experience gave me insight to what graduate school and conducting research full time is like. I had a great experience and enjoy research, so it influenced me to continue research at Umich. I have continued to do research elsewhere through an internship and research fellowship, and I am likely to pursue a graduate (PhD) degree after I graduate. My initial research experience through UROP allowed me to pursue additional research opportunities that interested me!
Where are you in your professional journey?
I am a senior studying Chemical Engineering. I concurrently work in a lab at UCSF conducting research in drug discovery using machine learning.
What advice would you give to a current UROP student?
Learn from others experiences and perspectives, stay curious and ask good questions, manage your time well to work efficiently and effectively, and be genuine to others and honest with yourself!
What are some recent publications or accomplishments that you are proud of?
Analysis of Self-Assembly Pathways with Unsupervised Machine Learning Algorithms