- All News
- Search News
- UROP Associate Director Catalina Ormsby Receives Distinguished Diversity Leaders Award
- UROP Welcomes New Director: Dr. Michelle Ferrez
- Thirty Years of UROP: Explore More
- 30th Anniversary of UROP Program
- A two-way street: UROP Peer Facilitators support first-year, second-year, and transfer students in their research and academics — and learn from them in the process
- UROP adapts to COVID crisis
- Corey J. Schiffman, MD
- Brent Frey, DDS
- Jane Brown, PhD Candidate
- Yaera Spraggins, Recently Published UROP Alumni
- Scott Koenigbauer, PhD Candidate
- Olivia Negris, Doctoral Candidate
- Michael DiDonato, UROP Alumni
- Vivian Kurtz UROP Alumni
- Geoffrey Jenkins, UROP Alumni
- Rhonda Fields, MSW - UROP Alumni
- Trey Thomas UROP Alumni
- Elizabeth Schill UROP Alumni
- Ryan Shami UROP Alumni
- Melissa Manley, PhD Candidate
- Tejash Patel, PhD
- Hayley Hoffman UROP Alumni
- GradeCraft helps UROP students become more curious and better researchers
- Lamira Ray, MPH
- Joshua Hurlburt, DDS
- Megan Wampler - UROP Alumni
- UROP Student Spotlight - Yasmeen Berry
- Celina Romano, JD, PhD Candidate
- Mikel Haggadone, PhD Candidate
- Colby Hanley, UROP Alumni
- Ian Waters, PhD
- Yannah Melle UROP Alumni
- Nida Ali, MPH
- Julia Wang, MD-PhD
- Ryan McWay, Research Area Specialist Associate
- Aracely Marroquin, CCSFP Researcher Awarded Grant
- Undergraduate student research spring symposium goes virtual
- Shannon Shaughnessy UROP Alumni
- Asa Smith, PhD, RN
- Lisa Barrett, PhD
- Kartik Bhatt, MPH
- Sari Grossman UROP Alumni
- Jake Gibson - UROP Alumni
- Erin Ealba Bumann, DDS, PhD, MS
- Michael Marzano, UROP Alumni
- Connie Truong, MD
- Dan Hearsch, MBA
- Alexis Mulski, PhD Candidate
- Kristin Fischer, MPH
- Sujay Shetty, UROP Alumni
- Shao Wei Chia - UROP Alumni
- Courtney Whitcher, BS
- Arjune Dhanekula, MD
- La'Joya Orr UROP Alumni
- Thomas Talhelm, PhD
- Gretchen Chidester, PhD
- Smita Bhattacharya, MS
- Sydney Foy - UROP Alumni
- Dr. Peter Scott - Alzheimer's Research
- Dr. Lawrence La Fountain-Stokes Research Project Feature
- Dr. Teresa Satterfield Research Project Feature
- Dr. Lindsay Bornheimer Research Project Feature
- Dr. Lisa Wexler Research Project Feature
- Dream of Detroit UROP Community Partner
- Rodrigo Ramirez Lescano, Masters Candidate
- Dr. Stephanie H. Cook Research Project Feature
- Josh Katzenstein - UROP Alumni
- Dr. Bethany Hughes Research Project Feature
- Dr. Lorenzo García-Amaya Research Project Feature
- Andrea Pesch, PhD Candidate
- Archived News
- Lessons from virtual summer fellowship in Detroit linger for students
- All Events
What years did you participate in UROP?
What UROP Program(s) were you a part of?
Traditional UROP as a Sophomore
What made you choose UROP?
I wanted to experience the research world while exploring other careers that did not involve just medical school.
What do you think you have learned from your UROP experience?
I learned "how to fail." There would be days that I would think that my research protocol was sound and when I would run my experiment, nothing would happen. These "failures" would force me to go back, figure out what went wrong, fix the issue, and plan to prevent issues like that from occurring again in the future. These small failures taught me how to troubleshoot and not get bogged down from a mistake made later in my career. I learned it's important to pick yourself up from a failure and learn from it to become a better professional.
What is the extent to which you have kept in contact with your Research Mentor?
During my undergraduate career, I stayed in close contact with my Research Mentor. When I started graduate school, my Research Mentor moved to another state and we still do out annual "catch-up" emails. My Research Mentor was one of the most influential persons of my undergraduate education.
How did your UROP experience shape or inform the next steps you took in your academic and professional journey?
It was through my UROP experience that I was first exposed to dentistry. My Peer Advisor frequently brought in people of different career backgrounds to speak to our class. One time a dentist spoke to us. I remember seeing his passion for the field of dentistry and me wanting to have that passion as well. I then started shadowing dentists and exploring the dental world as a possible career. The more I learned about dentistry, the more I fell in love with it and I haven't looked back since.
Where are you in your professional journey?
I am a first year pediatric dentistry resident at Boston University. I just graduated from the University of Michigan School of Dentistry this past spring.
What advice would you give to a current UROP student?
Have an open mind while you at in UROP. Be open to research project ideas and different career pathways - you never know what you will find and who knows...maybe you'll find what you've always been meant to do.
What are some recent publications or accomplishments that you are proud of?
I had two published abstracts from UROP experience.