- All News
- Search News
- UROP Associate Director Catalina Ormsby Receives Distinguished Diversity Leaders Award
- UROP Welcomes New Director: Dr. Michelle Ferrez
- Thirty Years of UROP: Explore More
- 30th Anniversary of UROP Program
- A two-way street: UROP Peer Facilitators support first-year, second-year, and transfer students in their research and academics — and learn from them in the process
- UROP adapts to COVID crisis
- Corey J. Schiffman, MD
- Brent Frey, DDS
- Jane Brown, PhD Candidate
- Yaera Spraggins, Recently Published UROP Alumni
- Scott Koenigbauer, PhD Candidate
- Olivia Negris, Doctoral Candidate
- Michael DiDonato, UROP Alumni
- Vivian Kurtz UROP Alumni
- Geoffrey Jenkins, UROP Alumni
- Rhonda Fields, MSW - UROP Alumni
- Trey Thomas UROP Alumni
- Elizabeth Schill UROP Alumni
- Archived News
- Lessons from virtual summer fellowship in Detroit linger for students
- All Events
What years did you participate in UROP?
What UROP Program(s) were you a part of?
Traditional UROP as a Freshman
What made you choose UROP?
I was interested in finding a Professor who could serve as a mentor. Additionally, I was a freshman and wanted to try any and everything.
What do you think you have learned from your UROP experience?
I gained a lifelong mentor as my UROP Field Advisor helped me get into grad school as well as an interest in research.
What is the extent to which you have kept in contact with your Research Mentor?
Not as often since grad school but I definitely feel comfortable reaching out should I need support.
How did your UROP experience shape or inform the next steps you took in your academic and professional journey?
I went on to learn more about the field of social work and its impact in society.
Where are you in your professional journey?
Executive Director, Girls on the Run of Southeastern Michigan. At Girls on the Run, it's my job to ensure the success of a proven physical activity-positive youth development program that encourages girls to make connections, develop their character, learn how to care for themselves and others, instill confidence and competence and offers opportunities to make a positive contribution to our community.
What advice would you give to a current UROP student?
Stay in touch with your mentor
What are some recent publications or accomplishments that you are proud of?