- All News
- Search News
- UROP Associate Director Catalina Ormsby Receives Distinguished Diversity Leaders Award
- UROP Welcomes New Director: Dr. Michelle Ferrez
- Thirty Years of UROP: Explore More
- 30th Anniversary of UROP Program
- A two-way street: UROP Peer Facilitators support first-year, second-year, and transfer students in their research and academics — and learn from them in the process
- UROP adapts to COVID crisis
- Corey J. Schiffman, MD
- Brent Frey, DDS
- Jane Brown, PhD Candidate
- Yaera Spraggins, Recently Published UROP Alumni
- Scott Koenigbauer, PhD Candidate
- Olivia Negris, Doctoral Candidate
- Michael DiDonato, UROP Alumni
- Vivian Kurtz UROP Alumni
- Geoffrey Jenkins, UROP Alumni
- Rhonda Fields, MSW - UROP Alumni
- Trey Thomas UROP Alumni
- Elizabeth Schill UROP Alumni
- Ryan Shami UROP Alumni
- Melissa Manley, PhD Candidate
- Tejash Patel, PhD
- Hayley Hoffman UROP Alumni
- GradeCraft helps UROP students become more curious and better researchers
- Lamira Ray, MPH
- Joshua Hurlburt, DDS
- Megan Wampler - UROP Alumni
- UROP Student Spotlight - Yasmeen Berry
- Celina Romano, JD, PhD Candidate
- Mikel Haggadone, PhD Candidate
- Colby Hanley, UROP Alumni
- Ian Waters, PhD
- Yannah Melle UROP Alumni
- Nida Ali, MPH
- Julia Wang, MD-PhD
- Ryan McWay, Research Area Specialist Associate
- Aracely Marroquin, CCSFP Researcher Awarded Grant
- Undergraduate student research spring symposium goes virtual
- Shannon Shaughnessy UROP Alumni
- Asa Smith, PhD, RN
- Lisa Barrett, PhD
- Kartik Bhatt, MPH
- Sari Grossman UROP Alumni
- Jake Gibson - UROP Alumni
- Erin Ealba Bumann, DDS, PhD, MS
- Michael Marzano, UROP Alumni
- Connie Truong, MD
- Dan Hearsch, MBA
- Alexis Mulski, PhD Candidate
- Kristin Fischer, MPH
- Sujay Shetty, UROP Alumni
- Shao Wei Chia - UROP Alumni
- Courtney Whitcher, BS
- Arjune Dhanekula, MD
- La'Joya Orr UROP Alumni
- Thomas Talhelm, PhD
- Gretchen Chidester, PhD
- Smita Bhattacharya, MS
- Sydney Foy - UROP Alumni
- Dr. Peter Scott - Alzheimer's Research
- Dr. Lawrence La Fountain-Stokes Research Project Feature
- Dr. Teresa Satterfield Research Project Feature
- Dr. Lindsay Bornheimer Research Project Feature
- Dr. Lisa Wexler Research Project Feature
- Dream of Detroit UROP Community Partner
- Rodrigo Ramirez Lescano, Masters Candidate
- Dr. Stephanie H. Cook Research Project Feature
- Josh Katzenstein - UROP Alumni
- Dr. Bethany Hughes Research Project Feature
- Dr. Lorenzo García-Amaya Research Project Feature
- Andrea Pesch, PhD Candidate
- Archived News
- Lessons from virtual summer fellowship in Detroit linger for students
- All Events
What years did you participate in UROP?
Traditional UROP as a Freshman (2009-2010)
Peer Advisor (2012-2013)
What made you choose UROP?
I wanted to learn more about biology research and this seemed like the perfect opportunity.
What do you think you have learned from your UROP experience?
I learned to think critically, to write an abstract, and to create a scientific poster. As a peer advisor, I became comfortable with public speaking and learned how to plan educational seminars, which successfully prepared me for giving presentations in med school and residency.
How did your UROP experience shape or inform the next steps you took in your academic and professional journey?
The communication and interpersonal skills I gained as a peer advisor has been invaluable to this day from patient care to public speaking. I enjoyed the mentorship aspect, which is a large factor in my interest in academic medicine.
Where are you in your professional journey?
3rd year Pediatrics Resident Physician at the University of Colorado
What advice would you give to a current UROP student?
If you don't get your "dream" project, that is completely okay. It may not feel like it, but you do have time to engage in a similar project later on if you really want to. Use your current project to see what you like/don't like in research, take the time to understand methods/rationale in the project, and learn to write an abstract and make a poster. All these things will set you up for success moving forward.
What are some recent publications or accomplishments that you are proud of?
Truong C, et al. Sex-dependent outcomes following elective endovascular aortic repair. J Surg Res. 2018;229:177-185. doi:10.1016/j.jss.2018.03.015
2nd Place Outstanding Resident Poster 2020: Connie Truong, MD, Risk Factors Associated with Postpartum Depressive Symptoms among Mothers of Preterm Infants