- All News
- Search News
- UROP Associate Director Catalina Ormsby Receives Distinguished Diversity Leaders Award
- UROP Welcomes New Director: Dr. Michelle Ferrez
- Thirty Years of UROP: Explore More
- 30th Anniversary of UROP Program
- A two-way street: UROP Peer Facilitators support first-year, second-year, and transfer students in their research and academics — and learn from them in the process
- UROP adapts to COVID crisis
- Corey J. Schiffman, MD
- Brent Frey, DDS
- Jane Brown, PhD Candidate
- Yaera Spraggins, Recently Published UROP Alumni
- Scott Koenigbauer, PhD Candidate
- Olivia Negris, Doctoral Candidate
- Michael DiDonato, UROP Alumni
- Vivian Kurtz UROP Alumni
- Geoffrey Jenkins, UROP Alumni
- Rhonda Fields, MSW - UROP Alumni
- Trey Thomas UROP Alumni
- Elizabeth Schill UROP Alumni
- Ryan Shami UROP Alumni
- Melissa Manley, PhD Candidate
- Tejash Patel, PhD
- Hayley Hoffman UROP Alumni
- GradeCraft helps UROP students become more curious and better researchers
- Lamira Ray, MPH
- Joshua Hurlburt, DDS
- Megan Wampler - UROP Alumni
- UROP Student Spotlight - Yasmeen Berry
- Celina Romano, JD, PhD Candidate
- Mikel Haggadone, PhD Candidate
- Colby Hanley, UROP Alumni
- Ian Waters, PhD
- Yannah Melle UROP Alumni
- Nida Ali, MPH
- Julia Wang, MD-PhD
- Ryan McWay, Research Area Specialist Associate
- Aracely Marroquin, CCSFP Researcher Awarded Grant
- Undergraduate student research spring symposium goes virtual
- Shannon Shaughnessy UROP Alumni
- Asa Smith, PhD, RN
- Lisa Barrett, PhD
- Kartik Bhatt, MPH
- Sari Grossman UROP Alumni
- Jake Gibson - UROP Alumni
- Erin Ealba Bumann, DDS, PhD, MS
- Michael Marzano, UROP Alumni
- Connie Truong, MD
- Dan Hearsch, MBA
- Alexis Mulski, PhD Candidate
- Kristin Fischer, MPH
- Sujay Shetty, UROP Alumni
- Shao Wei Chia - UROP Alumni
- Courtney Whitcher, BS
- Arjune Dhanekula, MD
- La'Joya Orr UROP Alumni
- Thomas Talhelm, PhD
- Gretchen Chidester, PhD
- Smita Bhattacharya, MS
- Sydney Foy - UROP Alumni
- Dr. Peter Scott - Alzheimer's Research
- Dr. Lawrence La Fountain-Stokes Research Project Feature
- Dr. Teresa Satterfield Research Project Feature
- Dr. Lindsay Bornheimer Research Project Feature
- Dr. Lisa Wexler Research Project Feature
- Dream of Detroit UROP Community Partner
- Rodrigo Ramirez Lescano, Masters Candidate
- Dr. Stephanie H. Cook Research Project Feature
- Josh Katzenstein - UROP Alumni
- Dr. Bethany Hughes Research Project Feature
- Dr. Lorenzo García-Amaya Research Project Feature
- Andrea Pesch, PhD Candidate
- Archived News
- Lessons from virtual summer fellowship in Detroit linger for students
- All Events
What UROP Program(s) were you a part of?
Traditional UROP as a Sophomore in 2016-2017
What made you choose UROP?
I loved science in high school and wanted to see if scientific research would be a good fit for me.
What do you think you have learned from your UROP experience?
I learned that failure is something to welcome. It means you are doing science the right way.
What is the extent to which you have kept in contact with your Research Mentor?
My research PI has been a great source of advice for the past four years helping me with graduate school decisions and writing my recommendation letters for internships. My research graduate student mentor is one of the best humans I know. She has been a constant friend and mentor talking to me for hours on the phone to offer the best guidance and lending a listening ear.
How did your UROP experience shape or inform the next steps you took in your academic and professional journey?
From UROP, I realized I wanted to devote my life and career to scientific research. Scientific research gives me hope during depressing world affairs.
Where are you in your professional journey?
I will be starting a PhD program in 2021 through PIBS Immunology at UM.
What advice would you give to a current UROP student?
Embrace your research with 100% effort and enthusiasm. There are few opportunities as a scientist to learn new skills and concepts without any pressure or external responsibilities. This is your time to explore what topics interest you and learning what you don’t like is just as important as what you do.
What are some recent publications or accomplishments that you are proud of?
I have successfully explored scientific research internships in academia at Georgia Tech, governmental institutions at SLAC National Accelerator lab, and industry at Bristol-Myers Squibb.