- All News
- Search News
- UROP Associate Director Catalina Ormsby Receives Distinguished Diversity Leaders Award
- UROP Welcomes New Director: Dr. Michelle Ferrez
- Thirty Years of UROP: Explore More
- 30th Anniversary of UROP Program
- A two-way street: UROP Peer Facilitators support first-year, second-year, and transfer students in their research and academics — and learn from them in the process
- UROP adapts to COVID crisis
- Corey J. Schiffman, MD
- Brent Frey, DDS
- Jane Brown, PhD Candidate
- Yaera Spraggins, Recently Published UROP Alumni
- Scott Koenigbauer, PhD Candidate
- Olivia Negris, Doctoral Candidate
- Michael DiDonato, UROP Alumni
- Vivian Kurtz UROP Alumni
- Geoffrey Jenkins, UROP Alumni
- Rhonda Fields, MSW - UROP Alumni
- Trey Thomas UROP Alumni
- Elizabeth Schill UROP Alumni
- Ryan Shami UROP Alumni
- Melissa Manley, PhD Candidate
- Tejash Patel, PhD
- Hayley Hoffman UROP Alumni
- GradeCraft helps UROP students become more curious and better researchers
- Lamira Ray, MPH
- Joshua Hurlburt, DDS
- Megan Wampler - UROP Alumni
- UROP Student Spotlight - Yasmeen Berry
- Celina Romano, JD, PhD Candidate
- Mikel Haggadone, PhD Candidate
- Colby Hanley, UROP Alumni
- Ian Waters, PhD
- Yannah Melle UROP Alumni
- Nida Ali, MPH
- Julia Wang, MD-PhD
- Ryan McWay, Research Area Specialist Associate
- Aracely Marroquin, CCSFP Researcher Awarded Grant
- Undergraduate student research spring symposium goes virtual
- Shannon Shaughnessy UROP Alumni
- Asa Smith, PhD, RN
- Lisa Barrett, PhD
- Kartik Bhatt, MPH
- Sari Grossman UROP Alumni
- Erin Ealba Bumann, DDS, PhD, MS
- Michael Marzano, UROP Alumni
- Connie Truong, MD
- Dan Hearsch, MBA
- Alexis Mulski, PhD Candidate
- Kristin Fischer, MPH
- Sujay Shetty, UROP Alumni
- Shao Wei Chia - UROP Alumni
- Courtney Whitcher, BS
- Arjune Dhanekula, MD
- Thomas Talhelm, PhD
- Gretchen Chidester, PhD
- Smita Bhattacharya, MS
- Sydney Foy - UROP Alumni
- Dr. Peter Scott - Alzheimer's Research
- Dr. Lawrence La Fountain-Stokes Research Project Feature
- Dr. Teresa Satterfield Research Project Feature
- Dr. Lindsay Bornheimer Research Project Feature
- Dr. Lisa Wexler Research Project Feature
- Dream of Detroit UROP Community Partner
- Rodrigo Ramirez Lescano, Masters Candidate
- Community Development Advocates of Detroit - UROP Community Partner
- Detroit Food Academy - UROP Community Partner
- Dr. Stephanie H. Cook Research Project Feature
- Josh Katzenstein - UROP Alumni
- Dr. Bethany Hughes Research Project Feature
- Dr. Lorenzo García-Amaya Research Project Feature
- Andrea Pesch, PhD Candidate
- Cindy A. Schipani, JD Research Project Feature
- UROP Research Project Feature: Human Rights and Indigenous Rights in Africa
- Nortown Community Development Corporation - UROP Community Partner
- Cyrus Najarian, MD/PhD Candidate
- UROP Featured Alumni Maggi Li
- Dr. Mehboob Hussain - Research Project Feature
- Research Project Feature: TrialNet Type 1 Diabetes: Pathway to Prevention
- Dr. Nikhil Parekh - Research Project Feature
- Vincent Pinti - Neubacher Award Winner
- UROP Alumni John Soukar, PhD Student
- UROP Alumni Hannah Levy
- UROP Alumni Collin Beavan
- UROP Alumni Julie Felberg
- UROP Featured Alumni Austin Basley
- Emily Guo - Community Health Fellow
- Harsh Jhaveri, BSE
- Dr. Kathryn Swanson, DDS
- UROP Featured Alumni Michael Falbo
- Allyson Eastman, JD
- UROP Alumni Aida Mandić
- UROP Alumni Accolades
- Brooke Bacigal, MSt Diplomatic Studies
- Research Mentor Feature: Dr. Alvaro Rojas-Peña
- Research Feature: Andre Monteiro Da Rocha, PhD
- Research Feature: Nancy Harmon R.D.H.
- Research Feature: Mothering Justice
- UROP Research Feature: Kimberley Heinrich, Ph.D.
- Research Feature, Audrey G. Bennett MFA
- UROP Alumni Justin Gordon
- UROP Alumni Emily Yerington, MAT; MEd
- UROP Alumni Maya Millette
- Archived News
- Lessons from virtual summer fellowship in Detroit linger for students
- All Events
What UROP Program(s) were you a part of?
Traditional UROP as a Freshman (2009-2010)
Research Scholars (2010-2011)
What made you choose UROP?
As a first generation college student, a great opportunity for a work study program that also exposed me to research and college faculty.
What do you think you have learned from your UROP experience?
It was my first taste into Public Health research, which is now my full time career. I learned how to professionally interact with research faculty and build connections. My research project in UROP ultimately led me to attend graduate school for Public Health.
What is the extent to which you have kept in contact with your Research Mentor?
We kept in touch during my undergrad years, and she wrote a recommendation letter for me for graduate school.
How did your UROP experience shape or inform the next steps you took in your academic and professional journey?
It was my first exposure to the field of public health, specifically in Health Behavior and Education research. This led to take undergraduate coursework in public health, and then eventually to graduate school at Michigan for public health. I now work full time in Health Services Research at the Mayo Clinic.
Where are you in your professional journey?
Program Manager in the Center for the Science of Healthcare Delivery at The Mayo Clinic. I support the research programs of several faculty at the Mayo Clinic, specifically focused on Health Services Research and improving patient experiences and outcomes.
What advice would you give to a current UROP student?
Take the opportunity to connect with a faculty member and explore potential areas of interest for your future career. Work hard, and take advantage of gaining valuable professional experience.
What are some recent publications or accomplishments that you are proud of?
Miller N, Angstman KB, van Ryn M, Garrison GM, Fischer K, Phelan S. The Association of Direct Observation of Medical Students With Patient-Centered Care for Obesity. Fam Med. 2020;52(4):271-277. doi:10.22454/FamMed.2020.314090
Phelan, S. M., Bangerter, L. R., Friedemann-Sanchez, G., Lackore, K. A., Morris, M. A., Van Houtven, C. H., Carlson, K. F., van Ryn, M., Harden, K. J., & Griffin, J. M. (2018). The Impact of Stigma on Community Reintegration of Veterans With Traumatic Brain Injury and the Well-Being of Their Caregivers. Archives of physical medicine and rehabilitation, 99(11), 2222–2229. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apmr.2018.04.007
Phelan, S. M., Burke, S. E., Cunningham, B. A., Perry, S. P., Hardeman, R. R., Dovidio, J. F., Herrin, J., Dyrbye, L. N., White, R. O., Yeazel, M. W., Onyeador, I. N., Wittlin, N. M., Harden, K., & van Ryn, M. (2019). The Effects of Racism in Medical Education on Students' Decisions to Practice in Underserved or Minority Communities. Academic medicine : journal of the Association of American Medical Colleges, 94(8), 1178–1189. https://doi.org/10.1097/ACM.0000000000002719