- All News
- Search News
- UROP Associate Director Catalina Ormsby Receives Distinguished Diversity Leaders Award
- UROP Welcomes New Director: Dr. Michelle Ferrez
- Thirty Years of UROP: Explore More
- 30th Anniversary of UROP Program
- A two-way street: UROP Peer Facilitators support first-year, second-year, and transfer students in their research and academics — and learn from them in the process
- UROP adapts to COVID crisis
- Corey J. Schiffman, MD
- Brent Frey, DDS
- Jane Brown, PhD Candidate
- Yaera Spraggins, Recently Published UROP Alumni
- Scott Koenigbauer, PhD Candidate
- Olivia Negris, Doctoral Candidate
- Michael DiDonato, UROP Alumni
- Vivian Kurtz UROP Alumni
- Geoffrey Jenkins, UROP Alumni
- Rhonda Fields, MSW - UROP Alumni
- Trey Thomas UROP Alumni
- Elizabeth Schill UROP Alumni
- Ryan Shami UROP Alumni
- Melissa Manley, PhD Candidate
- Tejash Patel, PhD
- Hayley Hoffman UROP Alumni
- GradeCraft helps UROP students become more curious and better researchers
- Lamira Ray, MPH
- Joshua Hurlburt, DDS
- Megan Wampler - UROP Alumni
- UROP Student Spotlight - Yasmeen Berry
- Celina Romano, JD, PhD Candidate
- Mikel Haggadone, PhD Candidate
- Colby Hanley, UROP Alumni
- Ian Waters, PhD
- Yannah Melle UROP Alumni
- Nida Ali, MPH
- Julia Wang, MD-PhD
- Ryan McWay, Research Area Specialist Associate
- Aracely Marroquin, CCSFP Researcher Awarded Grant
- Undergraduate student research spring symposium goes virtual
- Shannon Shaughnessy UROP Alumni
- Asa Smith, PhD, RN
- Lisa Barrett, PhD
- Kartik Bhatt, MPH
- Sari Grossman UROP Alumni
- Erin Ealba Bumann, DDS, PhD, MS
- Michael Marzano, UROP Alumni
- Connie Truong, MD
- Dan Hearsch, MBA
- Alexis Mulski, PhD Candidate
- Kristin Fischer, MPH
- Sujay Shetty, UROP Alumni
- Shao Wei Chia - UROP Alumni
- Courtney Whitcher, BS
- Arjune Dhanekula, MD
- Thomas Talhelm, PhD
- Gretchen Chidester, PhD
- Smita Bhattacharya, MS
- Sydney Foy - UROP Alumni
- Dr. Peter Scott - Alzheimer's Research
- Dr. Lawrence La Fountain-Stokes Research Project Feature
- Dr. Teresa Satterfield Research Project Feature
- Dr. Lindsay Bornheimer Research Project Feature
- Dr. Lisa Wexler Research Project Feature
- Dream of Detroit UROP Community Partner
- Rodrigo Ramirez Lescano, Masters Candidate
- Community Development Advocates of Detroit - UROP Community Partner
- Detroit Food Academy - UROP Community Partner
- Dr. Stephanie H. Cook Research Project Feature
- Josh Katzenstein - UROP Alumni
- Dr. Bethany Hughes Research Project Feature
- Dr. Lorenzo García-Amaya Research Project Feature
- Andrea Pesch, PhD Candidate
- Cindy A. Schipani, JD Research Project Feature
- UROP Research Project Feature: Human Rights and Indigenous Rights in Africa
- Nortown Community Development Corporation - UROP Community Partner
- Cyrus Najarian, MD/PhD Candidate
- UROP Featured Alumni Maggi Li
- Dr. Mehboob Hussain - Research Project Feature
- Research Project Feature: TrialNet Type 1 Diabetes: Pathway to Prevention
- Dr. Nikhil Parekh - Research Project Feature
- Vincent Pinti - Neubacher Award Winner
- UROP Alumni John Soukar, PhD Student
- UROP Alumni Hannah Levy
- UROP Alumni Collin Beavan
- UROP Alumni Julie Felberg
- UROP Featured Alumni Austin Basley
- Emily Guo - Community Health Fellow
- Harsh Jhaveri, BSE
- Dr. Kathryn Swanson, DDS
- UROP Featured Alumni Michael Falbo
- Allyson Eastman, JD
- UROP Alumni Aida Mandić
- UROP Alumni Accolades
- Brooke Bacigal, MSt Diplomatic Studies
- Research Mentor Feature: Dr. Alvaro Rojas-Peña
- Research Feature: Andre Monteiro Da Rocha, PhD
- Research Feature: Nancy Harmon R.D.H.
- Research Feature: Mothering Justice
- UROP Research Feature: Kimberley Heinrich, Ph.D.
- Research Feature, Audrey G. Bennett MFA
- UROP Alumni Justin Gordon
- UROP Alumni Emily Yerington, MAT; MEd
- UROP Alumni Maya Millette
- UROP Alumni Jacob Blanksvard
- UROP Alumni Dr. Julian Vasquez Heilig
- Archived News
- Lessons from virtual summer fellowship in Detroit linger for students
- All Events
Director of Operations
Detroit Food Academy
About the Organization: Detroit Food Academy is a 501(c)(3) non-profit that works to inspire young Detroiters (ages 10-24) through culinary arts and food entrepreneurship. From cooking delicious healthy meals for friends and family to facilitating complex conversations with community to developing artisan food projects from scratch to market, students learn by transforming their ideas into reality. Through this process, they grow as holistic leaders who are healthy, connected, and powerful to affect change in our communities and beyond.
Tell us a bit about your educational and professional trajectory
I received my Bachelor's of Education in 2009 from Ohio University. I moved to Detroit in 2013 and began working with Detroit Food Academy as a volunteer. I am so invested in the work and mission of our organization I never left, and am now the Operations Director here.
Tell us a bit about your projects (in which you worked with UROP students)
UROP students have assisted our organization in long term storage of our clients' (youth and families) data. Additionally, they have supported our day-to-day programming needs by interacting with youth, leading activities and designing curriculum. They have enriched our community partnerships by communicating with sites, mentors and professionals in the field - visiting, documenting and learning alongside our Detroit partners.
What attracted you to working with this organization and in your field?
Detroit Food Academy brings the perfect recipe of youth development and leadership along with education around living a more healthy lifestyle; teaching young people how to better engage with the food world they live in.
What led you to become a mentor to undergraduate students?
I truly appreciate the experience of symbiotic learning to, from and with the undergraduate students we have worked with.
How do students contribute to your work?
They bring fresh perspectives and new ideas to the work we do. They are often very relatable to our high school aged youth because they are close in age and interests.
What has been the most valuable lesson you have learned mentoring undergraduate students?
Passion and interest in the work we do often play a larger role than experience in the field.
What do you think is the key to a successful mentoring relationship and/or what is your favorite thing about mentoring?
Humor, flexibility and transparency. I am not a typical "professional" and I think the students I've worked with have very much appreciated that.
What advice do you have for current UROP students?
You have a paintbrush - paint your future!
Any additional things you'd like to share with the UROP community?
Thank you for all of your support over the years!