- All News
- Search News
- UROP Associate Director Catalina Ormsby Receives Distinguished Diversity Leaders Award
- UROP Welcomes New Director: Dr. Michelle Ferrez
- Thirty Years of UROP: Explore More
- 30th Anniversary of UROP Program
- A two-way street: UROP Peer Facilitators support first-year, second-year, and transfer students in their research and academics — and learn from them in the process
- UROP adapts to COVID crisis
- Corey J. Schiffman, MD
- Brent Frey, DDS
- Jane Brown, PhD Candidate
- Yaera Spraggins, Recently Published UROP Alumni
- Scott Koenigbauer, PhD Candidate
- Olivia Negris, Doctoral Candidate
- Michael DiDonato, UROP Alumni
- Vivian Kurtz UROP Alumni
- Geoffrey Jenkins, UROP Alumni
- Rhonda Fields, MSW - UROP Alumni
- Trey Thomas UROP Alumni
- Elizabeth Schill UROP Alumni
- Ryan Shami UROP Alumni
- Melissa Manley, PhD Candidate
- Tejash Patel, PhD
- Hayley Hoffman UROP Alumni
- GradeCraft helps UROP students become more curious and better researchers
- Lamira Ray, MPH
- Joshua Hurlburt, DDS
- Megan Wampler - UROP Alumni
- UROP Student Spotlight - Yasmeen Berry
- Celina Romano, JD, PhD Candidate
- Mikel Haggadone, PhD Candidate
- Colby Hanley, UROP Alumni
- Ian Waters, PhD
- Yannah Melle UROP Alumni
- Nida Ali, MPH
- Julia Wang, MD-PhD
- Ryan McWay, Research Area Specialist Associate
- Aracely Marroquin, CCSFP Researcher Awarded Grant
- Undergraduate student research spring symposium goes virtual
- Shannon Shaughnessy UROP Alumni
- Asa Smith, PhD, RN
- Lisa Barrett, PhD
- Kartik Bhatt, MPH
- Sari Grossman UROP Alumni
- Erin Ealba Bumann, DDS, PhD, MS
- Michael Marzano, UROP Alumni
- Connie Truong, MD
- Dan Hearsch, MBA
- Alexis Mulski, PhD Candidate
- Kristin Fischer, MPH
- Sujay Shetty, UROP Alumni
- Shao Wei Chia - UROP Alumni
- Courtney Whitcher, BS
- Arjune Dhanekula, MD
- Thomas Talhelm, PhD
- Gretchen Chidester, PhD
- Smita Bhattacharya, MS
- Sydney Foy - UROP Alumni
- Dr. Peter Scott - Alzheimer's Research
- Dr. Lawrence La Fountain-Stokes Research Project Feature
- Dr. Teresa Satterfield Research Project Feature
- Dr. Lindsay Bornheimer Research Project Feature
- Dr. Lisa Wexler Research Project Feature
- Dream of Detroit UROP Community Partner
- Rodrigo Ramirez Lescano, Masters Candidate
- Community Development Advocates of Detroit - UROP Community Partner
- Detroit Food Academy - UROP Community Partner
- Dr. Stephanie H. Cook Research Project Feature
- Josh Katzenstein - UROP Alumni
- Dr. Bethany Hughes Research Project Feature
- Dr. Lorenzo García-Amaya Research Project Feature
- Andrea Pesch, PhD Candidate
- Cindy A. Schipani, JD Research Project Feature
- UROP Research Project Feature: Human Rights and Indigenous Rights in Africa
- Nortown Community Development Corporation - UROP Community Partner
- Cyrus Najarian, MD/PhD Candidate
- UROP Featured Alumni Maggi Li
- Dr. Mehboob Hussain - Research Project Feature
- Research Project Feature: TrialNet Type 1 Diabetes: Pathway to Prevention
- Dr. Nikhil Parekh - Research Project Feature
- Vincent Pinti - Neubacher Award Winner
- UROP Alumni John Soukar, PhD Student
- UROP Alumni Hannah Levy
- UROP Alumni Collin Beavan
- UROP Alumni Julie Felberg
- UROP Featured Alumni Austin Basley
- Emily Guo - Community Health Fellow
- Harsh Jhaveri, BSE
- Dr. Kathryn Swanson, DDS
- UROP Featured Alumni Michael Falbo
- Allyson Eastman, JD
- UROP Alumni Aida Mandić
- UROP Alumni Accolades
- Brooke Bacigal, MSt Diplomatic Studies
- Research Mentor Feature: Dr. Alvaro Rojas-Peña
- Research Feature: Andre Monteiro Da Rocha, PhD
- Research Feature: Nancy Harmon R.D.H.
- Research Feature: Mothering Justice
- UROP Research Feature: Kimberley Heinrich, Ph.D.
- Research Feature, Audrey G. Bennett MFA
- UROP Alumni Justin Gordon
- UROP Alumni Emily Yerington, MAT; MEd
- UROP Alumni Maya Millette
- UROP Alumni Jacob Blanksvard
- UROP Alumni Dr. Julian Vasquez Heilig
- Archived News
- Lessons from virtual summer fellowship in Detroit linger for students
- All Events
What years did you participate in UROP?
What UROP Program(s) were you a part of?
Traditional UROP as a Freshman, Research Scholars
What made you choose UROP?
When choosing an undergraduate institution to attend, I was looking for a place that would provide me with research opportunities beginning in my first year. A UM advisor told me about the UROP program, and it was a crucial factor in my decision to attend the University of Michigan.
What do you think you have learned from your UROP experience?
My UROP experience taught me an immense amount about the rigor, perseverance, and excitement of research. In UROP, I was never used as just an extra pair of hands in the lab, I was developing projects and collecting data, hands-on experience that has made more prepared and successful in my own research work as a PhD student. Most importantly, UROP provided me with the opportunity to learn that research is my passion and a career that I could pursue.
What is the extent to which you have kept in contact with your Research Mentor?
I have kept in close contact with my research mentors. Both have provided me with letters of recommendation for multiple applications (graduate school, grants, etc.), and we have continued to work together on multiple research collaborations.
How did your UROP experience shape or inform the next steps you took in your academic and professional journey?
My experience with UROP showed me that research is both my passion and a career that I could pursue. It provided me with essential experience that allowed me to pursue a PhD and a career as a Research Scientist. I now spend every day on my own dissertation research project, and I believe that my UROP experience played a key role in this journey.
Where are you in your professional journey?
I am currently a PhD candidate at Florida State University studying the evolution of biofluorescence in frogs.
What advice would you give to a current UROP student?
Utilize your UROP research experience and mentors beyond your current project. Discuss career possibilities, writing strategies, researchers at other universities, and more with them. Your mentors are incredible resources that want you to succeed and will help you with more than just your research project. Similarly, the skills you gain from your UROP research can be utilized far beyond the program; from writing to presenting to communicating ideas effectively- embrace the opportunities to improve these skills as well.
What are some recent publications or accomplishments that you are proud of?
I have developed a citizen science project and educational resource related to my PhD research called Finding Fluorescence: https://findingfluorescence.wixsite.com/home
Publications and Presentations:
Whitcher C. 2020. New Accounts of Biofluorescence in Several Anuran Genera (Hylidae, Microhylidae, Ranidae, Leptodactylidae) with Comments on Intraspecific Variation. Herpetology Notes 13: 443-447.
Makowicz AM, Daniel MJ, Jones BC, Rivers PR, Dye M, Kuzel MR, Guerrera AG, Kettelkamp S, Whitcher C, DuVal EH. 2020. Foundations and frontiers in mate choice. Evolution. doi:10.1111/evo.14018
The Phylogeny of Tropical Treefrogs of the Genus Dendropsophus. Oral presentation at the Society for Systematic Biologists Conference, Gainesville, FL, January 5, 2020.
Adler, K., Arnold, S., Ast, J., Brock, K., Burke, R., Carey, C., Congdon, J., Densmore, L., Duellman, W., Eidietis, L., Hedman, H., Heying, H., Jaslow, A., Lehtinen, R., Marino, J., Moon, B., Nussbaum, R., Pandelis, G., Pecor, K., Rabosky, A., Rabosky, D., Raxworthy, C., Summers, K., Tolson, P., Uzzell, T., Vitt, L., Westeen, E., Whitcher, C., Zawacki, C., Zug, G. Letters from Michigan Herpetology. UMMZ Special Publication. In editing.
Whitcher, C., von May, R., Rabosky, D. (MS) Ecomorphological structure of a diverse tropical anuran community. Manuscript in preparation.
Santa-Cruz, R, von May, R., Catenazzi, A., Whitcher, C., Lopez Tejeda, E., Rabosky, D. 2019. “A New Species of Terrestrial-Breeding Frog (Amphibia, Strabomantidae, Noblella) from the Upper Madre De Dios Watershed, Amazonian Andes and Lowlands of Southern Peru.” Diversity 11(9): 145.
Callaghan, B., Mictchinson, O., Ruiz, J., Whitcher, C. 2017. The Distribution and Effect of Non-Native Earthworms on Soil Structure in Northern Michigan. Deep Blue.