- All News
- Search News
- UROP Associate Director Catalina Ormsby Receives Distinguished Diversity Leaders Award
- UROP Welcomes New Director: Dr. Michelle Ferrez
- Thirty Years of UROP: Explore More
- 30th Anniversary of UROP Program
- A two-way street: UROP Peer Facilitators support first-year, second-year, and transfer students in their research and academics — and learn from them in the process
- UROP adapts to COVID crisis
- Corey J. Schiffman, MD
- Brent Frey, DDS
- Jane Brown, PhD Candidate
- Yaera Spraggins, Recently Published UROP Alumni
- Scott Koenigbauer, PhD Candidate
- Olivia Negris, Doctoral Candidate
- Michael DiDonato, UROP Alumni
- Vivian Kurtz UROP Alumni
- Geoffrey Jenkins, UROP Alumni
- Rhonda Fields, MSW - UROP Alumni
- Trey Thomas UROP Alumni
- Elizabeth Schill UROP Alumni
- Ryan Shami UROP Alumni
- Melissa Manley, PhD Candidate
- Tejash Patel, PhD
- Hayley Hoffman UROP Alumni
- GradeCraft helps UROP students become more curious and better researchers
- Lamira Ray, MPH
- Joshua Hurlburt, DDS
- Megan Wampler - UROP Alumni
- UROP Student Spotlight - Yasmeen Berry
- Celina Romano, JD, PhD Candidate
- Mikel Haggadone, PhD Candidate
- Colby Hanley, UROP Alumni
- Ian Waters, PhD
- Yannah Melle UROP Alumni
- Nida Ali, MPH
- Julia Wang, MD-PhD
- Ryan McWay, Research Area Specialist Associate
- Aracely Marroquin, CCSFP Researcher Awarded Grant
- Undergraduate student research spring symposium goes virtual
- Shannon Shaughnessy UROP Alumni
- Asa Smith, PhD, RN
- Lisa Barrett, PhD
- Kartik Bhatt, MPH
- Sari Grossman UROP Alumni
- Jake Gibson - UROP Alumni
- Erin Ealba Bumann, DDS, PhD, MS
- Michael Marzano, UROP Alumni
- Connie Truong, MD
- Dan Hearsch, MBA
- Alexis Mulski, PhD Candidate
- Kristin Fischer, MPH
- Sujay Shetty, UROP Alumni
- Shao Wei Chia - UROP Alumni
- Courtney Whitcher, BS
- Arjune Dhanekula, MD
- La'Joya Orr UROP Alumni
- Thomas Talhelm, PhD
- Gretchen Chidester, PhD
- Smita Bhattacharya, MS
- Sydney Foy - UROP Alumni
- Dr. Peter Scott - Alzheimer's Research
- Dr. Lawrence La Fountain-Stokes Research Project Feature
- Dr. Teresa Satterfield Research Project Feature
- Dr. Lindsay Bornheimer Research Project Feature
- Dr. Lisa Wexler Research Project Feature
- Dream of Detroit UROP Community Partner
- Rodrigo Ramirez Lescano, Masters Candidate
- Community Development Advocates of Detroit - UROP Community Partner
- Detroit Food Academy - UROP Community Partner
- Dr. Stephanie H. Cook Research Project Feature
- Josh Katzenstein - UROP Alumni
- Dr. Bethany Hughes Research Project Feature
- Dr. Lorenzo García-Amaya Research Project Feature
- Andrea Pesch, PhD Candidate
- Cindy A. Schipani, JD Research Project Feature
- UROP Research Project Feature: Human Rights and Indigenous Rights in Africa
- Nortown Community Development Corporation - UROP Community Partner
- Cyrus Najarian, MD/PhD Candidate
- UROP Featured Alumni Maggi Li
- Dr. Mehboob Hussain - Research Project Feature
- Research Project Feature: TrialNet Type 1 Diabetes: Pathway to Prevention
- Dr. Nikhil Parekh - Research Project Feature
- Vincent Pinti - Neubacher Award Winner
- UROP Alumni John Soukar, PhD Student
- UROP Alumni Hannah Levy
- UROP Alumni Collin Beavan
- UROP Alumni Julie Felberg
- UROP Featured Alumni Austin Basley
- Emily Guo - Community Health Fellow
- Harsh Jhaveri, BSE
- Dr. Kathryn Swanson, DDS
- UROP Featured Alumni Michael Falbo
- Allyson Eastman, JD
- UROP Alumni Aida Mandić
- UROP Alumni Accolades
- Archived News
- Lessons from virtual summer fellowship in Detroit linger for students
- All Events
What UROP Program(s) were you a part of?
UROP Social Sciences Researcher as a Sophomore (2012-2013)
Peer Advisor (2013-2015)
What made you choose UROP?
I was an international transfer student. With the initial goal to pursue my PhD, I realized that I needed to gain as much research experience as I can, and I stumbled upon UROP serendipitously. After perusing the UROP website, I know this is something I would like to try (I even managed to convince 2 of friends to join me as well!)
What do you think you have learned from your UROP experience?
As a UROP student, I learned a lot about social science research (both from the seminars and my project). My participation at UROP expedited my learning about research, and what can come out of it (hint: A LOT and NO, I am talking about publications only).
Further, my two years as a UROP peer advisor, taught me humility - as a peer advisor, even though I was there to lead seminars / grade assignments / make sure my mentees are on track, I was also there to listen, provide a psychologically safe space for my mentees to confide in me, and most importantly, learn from my mentees.
What is the extent to which you have kept in contact with your Research Mentor?
Unfortunately, because Dr. Karin Martin works in the Department of Sociology, while my interest was in psychology, we haven't been keeping in touch since I graduated in 2015.
How did your UROP experience shape or inform the next steps you took in your academic and professional journey?
UROP started my journey in research, until today, I am still doing research but in applied settings. My first job out of college was in market research, and I am currently working in people analytics.
Where are you in your professional journey?
Currently, I am a People Analyst at Google. Basically, my team applies social science research methods to inform people decisions - so think about organizational behavior and industrial-organization psychology research but in applied settings.
What advice would you give to a current UROP student?
Be open-minded. Your journey won't be linear - so take the risk, try that one thing you have always wanted to, or take that opportunity even if it may not be your first choice - either you will be surprised where it takes you to, or you realize it is not something you want to pursue! In the end, you are still finding new information about yourself. Lastly, it is okay to not know what you want at the moment, and it is okay to go back to the drawing board to chart a new path for yourself. But make sure you find yourself mentors and advisors along the way to support you in your journey - and pay it forward to those who come for you for advice.
What are some recent publications or accomplishments that you are proud of?
Getting a job at Google