- All News
- Search News
- UROP Associate Director Catalina Ormsby Receives Distinguished Diversity Leaders Award
- UROP Welcomes New Director: Dr. Michelle Ferrez
- Thirty Years of UROP: Explore More
- 30th Anniversary of UROP Program
- A two-way street: UROP Peer Facilitators support first-year, second-year, and transfer students in their research and academics — and learn from them in the process
- UROP adapts to COVID crisis
- Corey J. Schiffman, MD
- Brent Frey, DDS
- Jane Brown, PhD Candidate
- Yaera Spraggins, Recently Published UROP Alumni
- Scott Koenigbauer, PhD Candidate
- Olivia Negris, Doctoral Candidate
- Michael DiDonato, UROP Alumni
- Vivian Kurtz UROP Alumni
- Geoffrey Jenkins, UROP Alumni
- Rhonda Fields, MSW - UROP Alumni
- Trey Thomas UROP Alumni
- Elizabeth Schill UROP Alumni
- Ryan Shami UROP Alumni
- Melissa Manley, PhD Candidate
- Tejash Patel, PhD
- Hayley Hoffman UROP Alumni
- GradeCraft helps UROP students become more curious and better researchers
- Lamira Ray, MPH
- Joshua Hurlburt, DDS
- Megan Wampler - UROP Alumni
- UROP Student Spotlight - Yasmeen Berry
- Celina Romano, JD, PhD Candidate
- Mikel Haggadone, PhD Candidate
- Colby Hanley, UROP Alumni
- Ian Waters, PhD
- Yannah Melle UROP Alumni
- Nida Ali, MPH
- Julia Wang, MD-PhD
- Ryan McWay, Research Area Specialist Associate
- Aracely Marroquin, CCSFP Researcher Awarded Grant
- Undergraduate student research spring symposium goes virtual
- Shannon Shaughnessy UROP Alumni
- Asa Smith, PhD, RN
- Lisa Barrett, PhD
- Kartik Bhatt, MPH
- Sari Grossman UROP Alumni
- Erin Ealba Bumann, DDS, PhD, MS
- Michael Marzano, UROP Alumni
- Connie Truong, MD
- Dan Hearsch, MBA
- Alexis Mulski, PhD Candidate
- Kristin Fischer, MPH
- Sujay Shetty, UROP Alumni
- Shao Wei Chia - UROP Alumni
- Courtney Whitcher, BS
- Arjune Dhanekula, MD
- Thomas Talhelm, PhD
- Gretchen Chidester, PhD
- Smita Bhattacharya, MS
- Sydney Foy - UROP Alumni
- Dr. Peter Scott - Alzheimer's Research
- Dr. Lawrence La Fountain-Stokes Research Project Feature
- Dr. Teresa Satterfield Research Project Feature
- Dr. Lindsay Bornheimer Research Project Feature
- Dr. Lisa Wexler Research Project Feature
- Dream of Detroit UROP Community Partner
- Rodrigo Ramirez Lescano, Masters Candidate
- Community Development Advocates of Detroit - UROP Community Partner
- Detroit Food Academy - UROP Community Partner
- Dr. Stephanie H. Cook Research Project Feature
- Josh Katzenstein - UROP Alumni
- Dr. Bethany Hughes Research Project Feature
- Dr. Lorenzo García-Amaya Research Project Feature
- Andrea Pesch, PhD Candidate
- Cindy A. Schipani, JD Research Project Feature
- UROP Research Project Feature: Human Rights and Indigenous Rights in Africa
- Nortown Community Development Corporation - UROP Community Partner
- Cyrus Najarian, MD/PhD Candidate
- UROP Featured Alumni Maggi Li
- Dr. Mehboob Hussain - Research Project Feature
- Research Project Feature: TrialNet Type 1 Diabetes: Pathway to Prevention
- Dr. Nikhil Parekh - Research Project Feature
- Vincent Pinti - Neubacher Award Winner
- UROP Alumni John Soukar, PhD Student
- UROP Alumni Hannah Levy
- UROP Alumni Collin Beavan
- UROP Alumni Julie Felberg
- UROP Featured Alumni Austin Basley
- Emily Guo - Community Health Fellow
- Harsh Jhaveri, BSE
- Dr. Kathryn Swanson, DDS
- UROP Featured Alumni Michael Falbo
- Allyson Eastman, JD
- UROP Alumni Aida Mandić
- UROP Alumni Accolades
- Brooke Bacigal, MSt Diplomatic Studies
- Research Mentor Feature: Dr. Alvaro Rojas-Peña
- Research Feature: Andre Monteiro Da Rocha, PhD
- Research Feature: Nancy Harmon R.D.H.
- Research Feature: Mothering Justice
- UROP Research Feature: Kimberley Heinrich, Ph.D.
- Research Feature, Audrey G. Bennett MFA
- UROP Alumni Justin Gordon
- UROP Alumni Emily Yerington, MAT; MEd
- UROP Alumni Maya Millette
- Archived News
- Lessons from virtual summer fellowship in Detroit linger for students
- All Events
What UROP Program(s) were you a part of?
What made you choose UROP?
I remember it being pushed a lot during orientation, and my older sister (also an alum) encouraged me to participate. I think she had done it for a semester or two.
What do you think you have learned from your UROP experience?
I learned a lot about a region of the world and some of the amazing research that I otherwise wouldn't have been exposed to. My office was also in the old Ruthven Museum building, so I got to go "behind the scenes" to the professors lab, which I always thought was cool. I just remember walking past rooms full of jars of specimen. Ah! The smell of formaldehyde! :) I also learned a lot about the field of biological anthropology, and how other social sciences all worked together to help tell a broader story about what was occurring a world away.
What is the extent to which you have kept in contact with your Research Mentor?
After graduation, yes I kept in fairly regular contact. Now we email every once in a blue moon.
How did your UROP experience shape or inform the next steps you took in your academic and professional journey?
I didn't think it had a lot of impact at the time, other than I thought it was cool. However, now looking back it was very much in the field I ended up going into - using various types of data and analysis to give context to, and support of a broader narrative. My professor, Dr. Beverly Strassmann, was studying maternal mortality among the Dogon of Mali. And while I wasn't all that interested in the biological side of the issue, she had me do an economic analysis of the impact of 'wealth' on mortality rates - which was really neat to see. I learned a lot about properly going through data, checking my information, and the importance of paying attention to detail. I also ended up going into fields where I did continue to do a lot of economic analysis so it all makes sense in hindsight.
What advice would you give to a current UROP student?
Don't be afraid to work with a professor in a field that you may not be familiar with. The exposure to great minds and cross-disciplinary research is something you really only have in a university setting, so take advantage of it.
What are some recent publications or accomplishments that you are proud of?
I did a piece on Diversity of Thought in the workplace when I was at Deloitte a few years back; as well as led the research on issues on government innovation and cybersecurity workforce issues. I am, in general, interested in bridging the divide between the academic and business worlds and now do so in the capacity of a career advisor. It's always neat to see how things end up.
Is there any other advice you would like to impart to current or future UROP students?
Have fun! Take the time to get to know your professor sponsoring the research.