- All News
- Search News
- UROP Associate Director Catalina Ormsby Receives Distinguished Diversity Leaders Award
- UROP Welcomes New Director: Dr. Michelle Ferrez
- Thirty Years of UROP: Explore More
- 30th Anniversary of UROP Program
- A two-way street: UROP Peer Facilitators support first-year, second-year, and transfer students in their research and academics — and learn from them in the process
- UROP adapts to COVID crisis
- Corey J. Schiffman, MD
- Brent Frey, DDS
- Jane Brown, PhD Candidate
- Yaera Spraggins, Recently Published UROP Alumni
- Scott Koenigbauer, PhD Candidate
- Olivia Negris, Doctoral Candidate
- Michael DiDonato, UROP Alumni
- Vivian Kurtz UROP Alumni
- Geoffrey Jenkins, UROP Alumni
- Rhonda Fields, MSW - UROP Alumni
- Trey Thomas UROP Alumni
- Elizabeth Schill UROP Alumni
- Ryan Shami UROP Alumni
- Melissa Manley, PhD Candidate
- Tejash Patel, PhD
- Hayley Hoffman UROP Alumni
- GradeCraft helps UROP students become more curious and better researchers
- Lamira Ray, MPH
- Joshua Hurlburt, DDS
- Megan Wampler - UROP Alumni
- UROP Student Spotlight - Yasmeen Berry
- Celina Romano, JD, PhD Candidate
- Mikel Haggadone, PhD Candidate
- Colby Hanley, UROP Alumni
- Ian Waters, PhD
- Yannah Melle UROP Alumni
- Nida Ali, MPH
- Julia Wang, MD-PhD
- Ryan McWay, Research Area Specialist Associate
- Aracely Marroquin, CCSFP Researcher Awarded Grant
- Undergraduate student research spring symposium goes virtual
- Shannon Shaughnessy UROP Alumni
- Asa Smith, PhD, RN
- Lisa Barrett, PhD
- Kartik Bhatt, MPH
- Sari Grossman UROP Alumni
- Jake Gibson - UROP Alumni
- Erin Ealba Bumann, DDS, PhD, MS
- Michael Marzano, UROP Alumni
- Connie Truong, MD
- Dan Hearsch, MBA
- Alexis Mulski, PhD Candidate
- Kristin Fischer, MPH
- Sujay Shetty, UROP Alumni
- Shao Wei Chia - UROP Alumni
- Courtney Whitcher, BS
- Arjune Dhanekula, MD
- La'Joya Orr UROP Alumni
- Thomas Talhelm, PhD
- Gretchen Chidester, PhD
- Smita Bhattacharya, MS
- Sydney Foy - UROP Alumni
- Dr. Peter Scott - Alzheimer's Research
- Dr. Lawrence La Fountain-Stokes Research Project Feature
- Dr. Teresa Satterfield Research Project Feature
- Dr. Lindsay Bornheimer Research Project Feature
- Dr. Lisa Wexler Research Project Feature
- Dream of Detroit UROP Community Partner
- Rodrigo Ramirez Lescano, Masters Candidate
- Dr. Stephanie H. Cook Research Project Feature
- Josh Katzenstein - UROP Alumni
- Dr. Bethany Hughes Research Project Feature
- Dr. Lorenzo García-Amaya Research Project Feature
- Andrea Pesch, PhD Candidate
- Archived News
- Lessons from virtual summer fellowship in Detroit linger for students
- All Events
What years did you participate in UROP? 2009-2011
What UROP Program(s) were you a part of?
Traditional UROP as a Freshman and Research Scholars
What made you choose UROP?
I knew I wanted to get research experience and potentially go to graduate school.
What do you think you have learned from your UROP experience?
So much! I learned about networking, science communication, disseminating research, and I learned firsthand how to do the scientific method. I also learned how to communicate with a supervisor and how to manage my time to achieve research goals. I learned about research design and gained experience leading a research project.
What is the extent to which you have kept in contact with your Research Mentor?
I still keep in touch with my Research Mentors to give them life updates or share papers I've published.
How did your UROP experience shape or inform the next steps you took in your academic and professional journey?
UROP directly shaped my next steps in that it prepared me for graduate school and exposed me to many different types of research early on so that I had the skills I needed to lead my own research projects. It also motivated me to become a mentor of undergraduates seeking research experience. It helped to give me contacts through my research mentors.
Where are you in your professional journey?
I am the Postdoctoral Fellow in Animal Behavior at the Oklahoma City Zoo. I lead studies of animal cognition and personality on various species. I conduct statistical analysis, prepare manuscripts for publication in peer-reviewed journals, and teach informally and formally. I also help conduct animal welfare studies at the Zoo.
What advice would you give to a current UROP student?
Get involved with your project(s) as much as possible. Don't be afraid to ask questions so that you can deepen your understanding of all aspects of your project (i.e., the "whys" of the research, not just the "whats"). Try to figure out what interest you most, and what doesn't, and why.
What are some recent publications or accomplishments that you are proud of?
National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellow;
Barrett, L.P. & Benson-Amram, S. (2020). Can Asian elephants use water as a tool in the floating object task? Animal Behavior and Cognition, 7, 3, 310-326.
Barrett, L.P., Stanton, L.A., & Benson-Amram, S. (2018). The cognition of ‘nuisance’ species. Animal Behaviour, 147, 167-77.