- All News
- Search News
- UROP Associate Director Catalina Ormsby Receives Distinguished Diversity Leaders Award
- UROP Welcomes New Director: Dr. Michelle Ferrez
- Thirty Years of UROP: Explore More
- 30th Anniversary of UROP Program
- A two-way street: UROP Peer Facilitators support first-year, second-year, and transfer students in their research and academics — and learn from them in the process
- UROP adapts to COVID crisis
- Corey J. Schiffman, MD
- Brent Frey, DDS
- Jane Brown, PhD Candidate
- Yaera Spraggins, Recently Published UROP Alumni
- Scott Koenigbauer, PhD Candidate
- Olivia Negris, Doctoral Candidate
- Michael DiDonato, UROP Alumni
- Vivian Kurtz UROP Alumni
- Geoffrey Jenkins, UROP Alumni
- Rhonda Fields, MSW - UROP Alumni
- Trey Thomas UROP Alumni
- Elizabeth Schill UROP Alumni
- Ryan Shami UROP Alumni
- Melissa Manley, PhD Candidate
- Tejash Patel, PhD
- Hayley Hoffman UROP Alumni
- GradeCraft helps UROP students become more curious and better researchers
- Lamira Ray, MPH
- Joshua Hurlburt, DDS
- Megan Wampler - UROP Alumni
- UROP Student Spotlight - Yasmeen Berry
- Celina Romano, JD, PhD Candidate
- Mikel Haggadone, PhD Candidate
- Colby Hanley, UROP Alumni
- Ian Waters, PhD
- Yannah Melle UROP Alumni
- Nida Ali, MPH
- Julia Wang, MD-PhD
- Ryan McWay, Research Area Specialist Associate
- Aracely Marroquin, CCSFP Researcher Awarded Grant
- Undergraduate student research spring symposium goes virtual
- Shannon Shaughnessy UROP Alumni
- Asa Smith, PhD, RN
- Lisa Barrett, PhD
- Kartik Bhatt, MPH
- Sari Grossman UROP Alumni
- Erin Ealba Bumann, DDS, PhD, MS
- Michael Marzano, UROP Alumni
- Connie Truong, MD
- Dan Hearsch, MBA
- Alexis Mulski, PhD Candidate
- Kristin Fischer, MPH
- Sujay Shetty, UROP Alumni
- Shao Wei Chia - UROP Alumni
- Courtney Whitcher, BS
- Arjune Dhanekula, MD
- Thomas Talhelm, PhD
- Gretchen Chidester, PhD
- Smita Bhattacharya, MS
- Sydney Foy - UROP Alumni
- Dr. Peter Scott - Alzheimer's Research
- Dr. Lawrence La Fountain-Stokes Research Project Feature
- Dr. Teresa Satterfield Research Project Feature
- Dr. Lindsay Bornheimer Research Project Feature
- Dr. Lisa Wexler Research Project Feature
- Dream of Detroit UROP Community Partner
- Rodrigo Ramirez Lescano, Masters Candidate
- Community Development Advocates of Detroit - UROP Community Partner
- Detroit Food Academy - UROP Community Partner
- Dr. Stephanie H. Cook Research Project Feature
- Josh Katzenstein - UROP Alumni
- Dr. Bethany Hughes Research Project Feature
- Dr. Lorenzo García-Amaya Research Project Feature
- Andrea Pesch, PhD Candidate
- Cindy A. Schipani, JD Research Project Feature
- UROP Research Project Feature: Human Rights and Indigenous Rights in Africa
- Nortown Community Development Corporation - UROP Community Partner
- Cyrus Najarian, MD/PhD Candidate
- UROP Featured Alumni Maggi Li
- Dr. Mehboob Hussain - Research Project Feature
- Research Project Feature: TrialNet Type 1 Diabetes: Pathway to Prevention
- Dr. Nikhil Parekh - Research Project Feature
- Vincent Pinti - Neubacher Award Winner
- UROP Alumni John Soukar, PhD Student
- UROP Alumni Hannah Levy
- UROP Alumni Collin Beavan
- UROP Alumni Julie Felberg
- UROP Featured Alumni Austin Basley
- Emily Guo - Community Health Fellow
- Harsh Jhaveri, BSE
- Dr. Kathryn Swanson, DDS
- UROP Featured Alumni Michael Falbo
- Allyson Eastman, JD
- UROP Alumni Aida Mandić
- UROP Alumni Accolades
- Brooke Bacigal, MSt Diplomatic Studies
- Research Mentor Feature: Dr. Alvaro Rojas-Peña
- Research Feature: Andre Monteiro Da Rocha, PhD
- Research Feature: Nancy Harmon R.D.H.
- Research Feature: Mothering Justice
- UROP Research Feature: Kimberley Heinrich, Ph.D.
- Research Feature, Audrey G. Bennett MFA
- UROP Alumni Justin Gordon
- UROP Alumni Emily Yerington, MAT; MEd
- UROP Alumni Maya Millette
- UROP Alumni Jacob Blanksvard
- UROP Alumni Dr. Julian Vasquez Heilig
- UROP Alumni Andrew Arche
- UROP Alumni Savannah Jelneck
- Congratulations Virgil Watkins
- Archived News
- Lessons from virtual summer fellowship in Detroit linger for students
- All Events
What years did you participate in UROP?
What UROP Program(s) were you a part of?
Traditional UROP as a Freshman
What made you choose UROP?
My passion for science and discovery, to find a research project, learn how to think critically and ask testable questions.
What do you think you have learned from your UROP experience?
How to think and reason critically. UROP has given me the skills to formulate testable hypotheses. Therefore, how to ask questions and transform these questions into hypotheses and experiments. Also, how to present and communicate my research findings succinctly.
What is the extent to which you have kept in contact with your Research Mentor?
Just as I was a participant in UROP.
How did your UROP experience shape or inform the next steps you took in your academic and professional journey?
Doing research contributed to habits of critical thinking which was valuable in effectively analyzing and evaluating complex ideas in research. It also reinforced my love for science and discovery and allowed me to be hired into a pharmacology research lab. There I got to independently run a research project and have my first publication.
Where are you in your professional journey?
Taking a gap year after applying to medical school and taking a few more classes in college. Also, plan on finding ways to volunteer my time in the hospital during this pandemic.
What advice would you give to a current UROP student?
Don't be afraid, and be willing to ask questions about everything and anything. Asking questions is the key to understanding different viewpoints and perspectives, permitting you to learn and grow. This will allow you to start asking and developing testable questions and hypotheses. This could potentially give you the opportunity to start and run an independent research project which would look amazing on your resume. I encountered many challenges during my time doing research. I learned how beneficial and crucial it is to have patience. Initially, my research was unpromising, and I came to believe that I was just wasting my time. However, after talking to my PI, I came to understand that patience is a virtue of scientific research and I should adjust my hypothesis to be broader. I then began seeing promising results and writing manuscripts became a hopeful reality. Also, use the end of the year research symposium that UROP requires, to learn how to present information succinctly and improve your oral communication skills for future research presentations.
What are some recent publications or accomplishments that you are proud of?
I was given the opportunity to present my findings at a research conference in San Diego, CA. Experimental Biology (EB) encompassed research of the role that different surface proteins have on thrombus formation, to research on how different educational systems are more effective than others. Using my data, I was able to provide quantitative reasoning as to why omega-3 fish oil pills provide cardioprotective benefits. Due to the extensive work that had to be put into creating my poster and making it succinct, I gained insight in collaborative learning. From my eagerness to engage in discovery and learning as a team, EB provided personal satisfaction to my intellectually curious mind.
Omega-6 DPA and its 12-lipoxygenase oxidized lipids regulate platelet reactivity in a non-genomic PPARα-dependent manner