- All News
- Search News
- UROP Associate Director Catalina Ormsby Receives Distinguished Diversity Leaders Award
- UROP Welcomes New Director: Dr. Michelle Ferrez
- Thirty Years of UROP: Explore More
- 30th Anniversary of UROP Program
- A two-way street: UROP Peer Facilitators support first-year, second-year, and transfer students in their research and academics — and learn from them in the process
- UROP adapts to COVID crisis
- Corey J. Schiffman, MD
- Brent Frey, DDS
- Jane Brown, PhD Candidate
- Yaera Spraggins, Recently Published UROP Alumni
- Scott Koenigbauer, PhD Candidate
- Olivia Negris, Doctoral Candidate
- Michael DiDonato, UROP Alumni
- Vivian Kurtz UROP Alumni
- Geoffrey Jenkins, UROP Alumni
- Rhonda Fields, MSW - UROP Alumni
- Trey Thomas UROP Alumni
- Elizabeth Schill UROP Alumni
- Ryan Shami UROP Alumni
- Melissa Manley, PhD Candidate
- Tejash Patel, PhD
- Hayley Hoffman UROP Alumni
- GradeCraft helps UROP students become more curious and better researchers
- Lamira Ray, MPH
- Joshua Hurlburt, DDS
- Megan Wampler - UROP Alumni
- UROP Student Spotlight - Yasmeen Berry
- Celina Romano, JD, PhD Candidate
- Mikel Haggadone, PhD Candidate
- Colby Hanley, UROP Alumni
- Ian Waters, PhD
- Yannah Melle UROP Alumni
- Nida Ali, MPH
- Julia Wang, MD-PhD
- Ryan McWay, Research Area Specialist Associate
- Aracely Marroquin, CCSFP Researcher Awarded Grant
- Undergraduate student research spring symposium goes virtual
- Shannon Shaughnessy UROP Alumni
- Asa Smith, PhD, RN
- Lisa Barrett, PhD
- Kartik Bhatt, MPH
- Sari Grossman UROP Alumni
- Jake Gibson - UROP Alumni
- Erin Ealba Bumann, DDS, PhD, MS
- Michael Marzano, UROP Alumni
- Connie Truong, MD
- Dan Hearsch, MBA
- Alexis Mulski, PhD Candidate
- Kristin Fischer, MPH
- Sujay Shetty, UROP Alumni
- Shao Wei Chia - UROP Alumni
- Courtney Whitcher, BS
- Arjune Dhanekula, MD
- La'Joya Orr UROP Alumni
- Thomas Talhelm, PhD
- Gretchen Chidester, PhD
- Smita Bhattacharya, MS
- Sydney Foy - UROP Alumni
- Dr. Peter Scott - Alzheimer's Research
- Dr. Lawrence La Fountain-Stokes Research Project Feature
- Dr. Teresa Satterfield Research Project Feature
- Dr. Lindsay Bornheimer Research Project Feature
- Dr. Lisa Wexler Research Project Feature
- Dream of Detroit UROP Community Partner
- Rodrigo Ramirez Lescano, Masters Candidate
- Community Development Advocates of Detroit - UROP Community Partner
- Detroit Food Academy - UROP Community Partner
- Dr. Stephanie H. Cook Research Project Feature
- Josh Katzenstein - UROP Alumni
- Dr. Bethany Hughes Research Project Feature
- Dr. Lorenzo García-Amaya Research Project Feature
- Andrea Pesch, PhD Candidate
- Cindy A. Schipani, JD Research Project Feature
- UROP Research Project Feature: Human Rights and Indigenous Rights in Africa
- Nortown Community Development Corporation - UROP Community Partner
- Cyrus Najarian, MD/PhD Candidate
- UROP Featured Alumni Maggi Li
- Dr. Mehboob Hussain - Research Project Feature
- Research Project Feature: TrialNet Type 1 Diabetes: Pathway to Prevention
- Dr. Nikhil Parekh - Research Project Feature
- Vincent Pinti - Neubacher Award Winner
- UROP Alumni John Soukar, PhD Student
- UROP Alumni Hannah Levy
- UROP Alumni Collin Beavan
- UROP Alumni Julie Felberg
- UROP Featured Alumni Austin Basley
- Emily Guo - Community Health Fellow
- Harsh Jhaveri, BSE
- Dr. Kathryn Swanson, DDS
- UROP Featured Alumni Michael Falbo
- Allyson Eastman, JD
- UROP Alumni Aida Mandić
- UROP Alumni Accolades
- Archived News
- Lessons from virtual summer fellowship in Detroit linger for students
- All Events
What UROP Program(s) were you a part of?
Traditional UROP 2015-2016
What made you choose UROP?
I chose UROP because I wanted to work side by side with the top researchers in my field, gain unique/advanced experience and skills relative to the business world, and expand my network.
What do you think you have learned from your UROP experience?
- How different computer programs and softwares are used together to manipulate large data sets.
What challenges companies face in their global supply chains.
How to co-author a research study and present to a large audience.
Working together amongst peers, as a team, in an environment where the goal is clear but the individual responsibility is ambiguous.
What is the extent to which you have kept in contact with your Research Mentor?
To this day four years after working together, I still keep in touch with my Research Mentor and he has helped me a lot in my professional development. For example, he continues to serve as a reference for me when I apply for jobs. It is an incredible advantage to have a top Professor speaking on my behalf to recruiters when I apply for a job.
How did your UROP experience shape or inform the next steps you took in your academic and professional journey?
While studying Economics and pursuing a career in Business, UROP helped me find a business field in which to specialize by sparking an interest in me. In UROP I was a Research Assistant in a Global Supply Chain Management study at The Ross School of Business and am now working in this field.
What advice would you give to a current UROP student?
Maintain a curious, growth mindset. Meet with your Research Mentor regularly and not only interview them about their research, but also connect with them on a personal level.
What are some recent publications or accomplishments that you are proud of?
“Play to Win”, 2020 Ford Motor Company Values based Performance Awards
Is there any other advice you would like to impart to current or future UROP students?
Develop relationships in the research community. Every interaction is an opportunity to make an impression on someone. Someone you just had a positive experience with could end up considering you for an opportunity in the years to come due to the impact you made on them.