- All News
- Search News
- UROP Associate Director Catalina Ormsby Receives Distinguished Diversity Leaders Award
- UROP Welcomes New Director: Dr. Michelle Ferrez
- Thirty Years of UROP: Explore More
- 30th Anniversary of UROP Program
- A two-way street: UROP Peer Facilitators support first-year, second-year, and transfer students in their research and academics — and learn from them in the process
- UROP adapts to COVID crisis
- Corey J. Schiffman, MD
- Brent Frey, DDS
- Jane Brown, PhD Candidate
- Yaera Spraggins, Recently Published UROP Alumni
- Scott Koenigbauer, PhD Candidate
- Olivia Negris, Doctoral Candidate
- Michael DiDonato, UROP Alumni
- Vivian Kurtz UROP Alumni
- Geoffrey Jenkins, UROP Alumni
- Rhonda Fields, MSW - UROP Alumni
- Trey Thomas UROP Alumni
- Elizabeth Schill UROP Alumni
- Ryan Shami UROP Alumni
- Melissa Manley, PhD Candidate
- Tejash Patel, PhD
- Hayley Hoffman UROP Alumni
- GradeCraft helps UROP students become more curious and better researchers
- Lamira Ray, MPH
- Joshua Hurlburt, DDS
- Megan Wampler - UROP Alumni
- UROP Student Spotlight - Yasmeen Berry
- Celina Romano, JD, PhD Candidate
- Mikel Haggadone, PhD Candidate
- Colby Hanley, UROP Alumni
- Ian Waters, PhD
- Yannah Melle UROP Alumni
- Nida Ali, MPH
- Julia Wang, MD-PhD
- Ryan McWay, Research Area Specialist Associate
- Aracely Marroquin, CCSFP Researcher Awarded Grant
- Undergraduate student research spring symposium goes virtual
- Shannon Shaughnessy UROP Alumni
- Asa Smith, PhD, RN
- Lisa Barrett, PhD
- Kartik Bhatt, MPH
- Sari Grossman UROP Alumni
- Jake Gibson - UROP Alumni
- Erin Ealba Bumann, DDS, PhD, MS
- Michael Marzano, UROP Alumni
- Connie Truong, MD
- Dan Hearsch, MBA
- Alexis Mulski, PhD Candidate
- Kristin Fischer, MPH
- Sujay Shetty, UROP Alumni
- Shao Wei Chia - UROP Alumni
- Courtney Whitcher, BS
- Arjune Dhanekula, MD
- La'Joya Orr UROP Alumni
- Thomas Talhelm, PhD
- Gretchen Chidester, PhD
- Smita Bhattacharya, MS
- Sydney Foy - UROP Alumni
- Dr. Peter Scott - Alzheimer's Research
- Dr. Lawrence La Fountain-Stokes Research Project Feature
- Dr. Teresa Satterfield Research Project Feature
- Dr. Lindsay Bornheimer Research Project Feature
- Dr. Lisa Wexler Research Project Feature
- Dream of Detroit UROP Community Partner
- Rodrigo Ramirez Lescano, Masters Candidate
- Dr. Stephanie H. Cook Research Project Feature
- Josh Katzenstein - UROP Alumni
- Dr. Bethany Hughes Research Project Feature
- Dr. Lorenzo García-Amaya Research Project Feature
- Andrea Pesch, PhD Candidate
- Archived News
- Lessons from virtual summer fellowship in Detroit linger for students
- All Events
Climate and Space Sciences and Engineering (CLaSP)
Moldwin Research Group (M3L)
What years did you participate in UROP?
What UROP Program(s) were you a part of?
What made you choose UROP?
As a transfer student, I was very interested in starting research as soon as possible, and CG through UROP was very helpful in this effort.
What do you think you have learned from your UROP experience?
How to discuss research from different fields in a cohesive manner with those who are conducting it. For my specific UROP experience, I was able to learn common research principles involved in conducting research in my field.
What is the extent to which you have kept in contact with your Research Mentor?
We continue to work together, almost 3 years after my UROP experience.
How did your UROP experience shape or inform the next steps you took in your academic and professional journey?
My UROP experience led to a research position I have maintained for two years. This has opened doors for me as a graduate student and an early career scientist.
What advice would you give to a current UROP student?
Dive in, and ask many questions. Repeat yourself when you need, and ask others to do the same for you. It will save a lot of time and avoid a lot of confusion, for everyone.
What are some recent publications or accomplishments that you are proud of?
Stemming from my UROP experience, I am currently working on my first, first-author paper on Mars' atmosphere!
Is there any other advice you would like to impart to current or future UROP students.
From my perspective, there are numerous research opportunities available to students who are willing to work hard. So many, in fact, if you find yourself uninterested in a project, do your best work for the remainder of your time with the project and then find something else to do. Research is exciting when you enjoy it, so don't do anything you don't find inspiring. My original UROP project was not the most exciting thing for me, but I really enjoyed working with my mentor. So we continued to work on other projects together after my year with UROP was complete.