- All News
- Search News
- UROP Associate Director Catalina Ormsby Receives Distinguished Diversity Leaders Award
- UROP Welcomes New Director: Dr. Michelle Ferrez
- Thirty Years of UROP: Explore More
- 30th Anniversary of UROP Program
- A two-way street: UROP Peer Facilitators support first-year, second-year, and transfer students in their research and academics — and learn from them in the process
- UROP adapts to COVID crisis
- Corey J. Schiffman, MD
- Brent Frey, DDS
- Jane Brown, PhD Candidate
- Yaera Spraggins, Recently Published UROP Alumni
- Scott Koenigbauer, PhD Candidate
- Olivia Negris, Doctoral Candidate
- Michael DiDonato, UROP Alumni
- Vivian Kurtz UROP Alumni
- Geoffrey Jenkins, UROP Alumni
- Rhonda Fields, MSW - UROP Alumni
- Trey Thomas UROP Alumni
- Elizabeth Schill UROP Alumni
- Ryan Shami UROP Alumni
- Melissa Manley, PhD Candidate
- Tejash Patel, PhD
- Hayley Hoffman UROP Alumni
- GradeCraft helps UROP students become more curious and better researchers
- Lamira Ray, MPH
- Joshua Hurlburt, DDS
- Megan Wampler - UROP Alumni
- UROP Student Spotlight - Yasmeen Berry
- Celina Romano, JD, PhD Candidate
- Mikel Haggadone, PhD Candidate
- Colby Hanley, UROP Alumni
- Ian Waters, PhD
- Yannah Melle UROP Alumni
- Nida Ali, MPH
- Julia Wang, MD-PhD
- Ryan McWay, Research Area Specialist Associate
- Aracely Marroquin, CCSFP Researcher Awarded Grant
- Undergraduate student research spring symposium goes virtual
- Shannon Shaughnessy UROP Alumni
- Asa Smith, PhD, RN
- Lisa Barrett, PhD
- Kartik Bhatt, MPH
- Sari Grossman UROP Alumni
- Erin Ealba Bumann, DDS, PhD, MS
- Michael Marzano, UROP Alumni
- Connie Truong, MD
- Dan Hearsch, MBA
- Alexis Mulski, PhD Candidate
- Kristin Fischer, MPH
- Sujay Shetty, UROP Alumni
- Shao Wei Chia - UROP Alumni
- Courtney Whitcher, BS
- Arjune Dhanekula, MD
- Thomas Talhelm, PhD
- Gretchen Chidester, PhD
- Smita Bhattacharya, MS
- Sydney Foy - UROP Alumni
- Dr. Peter Scott - Alzheimer's Research
- Dr. Lawrence La Fountain-Stokes Research Project Feature
- Dr. Teresa Satterfield Research Project Feature
- Dr. Lindsay Bornheimer Research Project Feature
- Dr. Lisa Wexler Research Project Feature
- Dream of Detroit UROP Community Partner
- Rodrigo Ramirez Lescano, Masters Candidate
- Community Development Advocates of Detroit - UROP Community Partner
- Detroit Food Academy - UROP Community Partner
- Dr. Stephanie H. Cook Research Project Feature
- Josh Katzenstein - UROP Alumni
- Dr. Bethany Hughes Research Project Feature
- Dr. Lorenzo García-Amaya Research Project Feature
- Andrea Pesch, PhD Candidate
- Cindy A. Schipani, JD Research Project Feature
- UROP Research Project Feature: Human Rights and Indigenous Rights in Africa
- Nortown Community Development Corporation - UROP Community Partner
- Cyrus Najarian, MD/PhD Candidate
- UROP Featured Alumni Maggi Li
- Dr. Mehboob Hussain - Research Project Feature
- Research Project Feature: TrialNet Type 1 Diabetes: Pathway to Prevention
- Dr. Nikhil Parekh - Research Project Feature
- Vincent Pinti - Neubacher Award Winner
- UROP Alumni John Soukar, PhD Student
- UROP Alumni Hannah Levy
- UROP Alumni Collin Beavan
- UROP Alumni Julie Felberg
- UROP Featured Alumni Austin Basley
- Emily Guo - Community Health Fellow
- Harsh Jhaveri, BSE
- Dr. Kathryn Swanson, DDS
- UROP Featured Alumni Michael Falbo
- Allyson Eastman, JD
- UROP Alumni Aida Mandić
- UROP Alumni Accolades
- Brooke Bacigal, MSt Diplomatic Studies
- Research Mentor Feature: Dr. Alvaro Rojas-Peña
- Research Feature: Andre Monteiro Da Rocha, PhD
- Research Feature: Nancy Harmon R.D.H.
- Research Feature: Mothering Justice
- UROP Research Feature: Kimberley Heinrich, Ph.D.
- Research Feature, Audrey G. Bennett MFA
- UROP Alumni Justin Gordon
- UROP Alumni Emily Yerington, MAT; MEd
- UROP Alumni Maya Millette
- UROP Alumni Jacob Blanksvard
- UROP Alumni Dr. Julian Vasquez Heilig
- UROP Alumni Andrew Arche
- UROP Alumni Savannah Jelneck
- Congratulations Virgil Watkins
- Congratulations Emmanuel Orozco Castellanos
- Archived News
- Lessons from virtual summer fellowship in Detroit linger for students
- All Events
What UROP Program(s) were you a part of?
MRC (now MRADS) 2015-2016
MRC Peer Advisor (2016-2017)
MRC Resident Advisor (2017-2018)
What made you choose UROP?
I was looking for a way to become academically immersed, and become part of a community at Michigan.
What do you think you have learned from your UROP experience?
Many things! Probably the biggest takeaway is how academia and the scientific method applies to a lot more things than I thought before (my research project was in the field of business operations, specifically ecommerce supply chain distribution strategy).
What is the extent to which you have kept in contact with your Research Mentor?
I still occasionally catch-up with my research mentor, Dr. Amitabh Sinha. He has moved on from his faculty position at Michigan Ross and is a Senior Manager for Research Science at Amazon. Interestingly enough, we spent some time in the same general industry when I was at my last employer, Grainger (distribution for products bought through ecommerce channels).
How did your UROP experience shape or inform the next steps you took in your academic and professional journey?
My experience exposed me a fair bit to how many questions with business strategy and operations can be approached scientifically, and with quantitative rigor. Firms that are able to successfully do that will gain extreme competitive advantage. That line of thinking proved valuable to get the most value of my statistics-heavy degree, and has informed my career direction (data-oriented software development)
What advice would you give to a current UROP student?
Be open-minded. There is a good chance you may change what your post-grad plans are. There are a lot of reasons for this. Some opportunities will close or be delayed due to luck, unforeseen circumstances, or how difficult they are to obtain in the first place. Some opportunities may come up that you never knew about or did not exist before. You will grow and develop through university, so there is a really good chance your values and what you want with your post-grad life will evolve - and that is going to change what kind of opportunities are more or less attractive to you. When I matriculated to Michigan, I thought I was committed to Investment Banking or Management Consulting, and wanted to focus on that for my academic, extracurriculars, and professional development. I ended up instead pursuing an Informatics degree, having a very rewarding tenure in student government, and I am now a Machine Learning Engineer helping make innovative and ethical Software-as-a-Service products at Crowe. I am very grateful for how all that turned out.
What are some recent publications or accomplishments that you are proud of?
I am excited about my professional growth so far. I learned and contributed a lot during my time as a Software and Data Engineer within Grainger's Engineering Development Program, and hope to sustain that momentum and add value in my new role as a Machine Learning Engineer at Crowe.
Is there any other advice you would like to impart to current or future UROP students?
The biggest takeaway I have from my experience are the relationships. I have kept in touch with a lot of people from MRC, and some of them are my closest friends, and I consider them family. Get to know others in your labs, research groups, and advisor groups - there are a lot of extremely talented people with diverse backgrounds and interests in our research community. The impact this can have on your social and professional networks is probably the most profound part of the value proposition of getting involved with UROP and its affiliate programs.