- All News
- Search News
- UROP Associate Director Catalina Ormsby Receives Distinguished Diversity Leaders Award
- UROP Welcomes New Director: Dr. Michelle Ferrez
- Thirty Years of UROP: Explore More
- 30th Anniversary of UROP Program
- A two-way street: UROP Peer Facilitators support first-year, second-year, and transfer students in their research and academics — and learn from them in the process
- UROP adapts to COVID crisis
- Corey J. Schiffman, MD
- Brent Frey, DDS
- Jane Brown, PhD Candidate
- Yaera Spraggins, Recently Published UROP Alumni
- Scott Koenigbauer, PhD Candidate
- Olivia Negris, Doctoral Candidate
- Michael DiDonato, UROP Alumni
- Vivian Kurtz UROP Alumni
- Geoffrey Jenkins, UROP Alumni
- Rhonda Fields, MSW - UROP Alumni
- Trey Thomas UROP Alumni
- Elizabeth Schill UROP Alumni
- Ryan Shami UROP Alumni
- Melissa Manley, PhD Candidate
- Tejash Patel, PhD
- Hayley Hoffman UROP Alumni
- GradeCraft helps UROP students become more curious and better researchers
- Lamira Ray, MPH
- Joshua Hurlburt, DDS
- Megan Wampler - UROP Alumni
- UROP Student Spotlight - Yasmeen Berry
- Celina Romano, JD, PhD Candidate
- Mikel Haggadone, PhD Candidate
- Colby Hanley, UROP Alumni
- Ian Waters, PhD
- Yannah Melle UROP Alumni
- Nida Ali, MPH
- Julia Wang, MD-PhD
- Ryan McWay, Research Area Specialist Associate
- Aracely Marroquin, CCSFP Researcher Awarded Grant
- Undergraduate student research spring symposium goes virtual
- Shannon Shaughnessy UROP Alumni
- Asa Smith, PhD, RN
- Lisa Barrett, PhD
- Kartik Bhatt, MPH
- Sari Grossman UROP Alumni
- Erin Ealba Bumann, DDS, PhD, MS
- Michael Marzano, UROP Alumni
- Connie Truong, MD
- Dan Hearsch, MBA
- Alexis Mulski, PhD Candidate
- Kristin Fischer, MPH
- Sujay Shetty, UROP Alumni
- Shao Wei Chia - UROP Alumni
- Courtney Whitcher, BS
- Arjune Dhanekula, MD
- Thomas Talhelm, PhD
- Gretchen Chidester, PhD
- Smita Bhattacharya, MS
- Sydney Foy - UROP Alumni
- Dr. Peter Scott - Alzheimer's Research
- Dr. Lawrence La Fountain-Stokes Research Project Feature
- Dr. Teresa Satterfield Research Project Feature
- Dr. Lindsay Bornheimer Research Project Feature
- Dr. Lisa Wexler Research Project Feature
- Dream of Detroit UROP Community Partner
- Rodrigo Ramirez Lescano, Masters Candidate
- Community Development Advocates of Detroit - UROP Community Partner
- Detroit Food Academy - UROP Community Partner
- Dr. Stephanie H. Cook Research Project Feature
- Josh Katzenstein - UROP Alumni
- Dr. Bethany Hughes Research Project Feature
- Dr. Lorenzo García-Amaya Research Project Feature
- Andrea Pesch, PhD Candidate
- Cindy A. Schipani, JD Research Project Feature
- UROP Research Project Feature: Human Rights and Indigenous Rights in Africa
- Nortown Community Development Corporation - UROP Community Partner
- Cyrus Najarian, MD/PhD Candidate
- UROP Featured Alumni Maggi Li
- Dr. Mehboob Hussain - Research Project Feature
- Research Project Feature: TrialNet Type 1 Diabetes: Pathway to Prevention
- Dr. Nikhil Parekh - Research Project Feature
- Vincent Pinti - Neubacher Award Winner
- UROP Alumni John Soukar, PhD Student
- UROP Alumni Hannah Levy
- UROP Alumni Collin Beavan
- UROP Alumni Julie Felberg
- UROP Featured Alumni Austin Basley
- Emily Guo - Community Health Fellow
- Harsh Jhaveri, BSE
- Dr. Kathryn Swanson, DDS
- UROP Featured Alumni Michael Falbo
- Allyson Eastman, JD
- UROP Alumni Aida Mandić
- UROP Alumni Accolades
- Brooke Bacigal, MSt Diplomatic Studies
- Research Mentor Feature: Dr. Alvaro Rojas-Peña
- Research Feature: Andre Monteiro Da Rocha, PhD
- Research Feature: Nancy Harmon R.D.H.
- Research Feature: Mothering Justice
- UROP Research Feature: Kimberley Heinrich, Ph.D.
- Research Feature, Audrey G. Bennett MFA
- UROP Alumni Justin Gordon
- UROP Alumni Emily Yerington, MAT; MEd
- UROP Alumni Maya Millette
- UROP Alumni Jacob Blanksvard
- UROP Alumni Dr. Julian Vasquez Heilig
- UROP Alumni Andrew Arche
- UROP Alumni Savannah Jelneck
- Congratulations Virgil Watkins
- Archived News
- Lessons from virtual summer fellowship in Detroit linger for students
- All Events
What years did you participate in UROP?
What UROP Program(s) were you a part of?
Traditional UROP as a Freshman (Social Sciences)
Peer Advisor/Peer Facilitator
What made you choose UROP?
I was curious about research, but didn't really know what it could look like outside of what I had seen on TV/movies (mainly a lot of lab coats and beakers). As someone in the social sciences, it was an amazing opportunity to participate in other types of research.
What do you think you have learned from your UROP experience?
It's hard to know where to begin. From an academic perspective, don't underestimate the librarian seminar! It was the sort of seminar that didn't seem like much at the time, but I found incredibly useful as I did literature reviews and other projects throughout my undergraduate and graduate career. On a more professional level, having research experience early allowed me to apply to more positions later on. I learned what I was interested in methodologically and in terms of the subject matter I wanted to focus on. I was able to become better aligned with my own research interests as I progressed through undergrad and beyond. Even though I didn't stay on the same project, it was my foot in the door as I continued on my research journey. Finally, the teaching experience from being a Peer Advisor was one of the most influential aspects of my undergraduate experience. I learned so much about lesson planning, teaching and advising that is invaluable in doctoral work and academic careers. I am currently interviewing for doctoral programs. I still bring up my UROP peer advising experience and find that many programs are impressed!
What is the extent to which you have kept in contact with your Research Mentor?
Sorry I don't! I do keep in touch with research advisors who I met later on in my undergraduate career.
How did your UROP experience shape or inform the next steps you took in your academic and professional journey?
As someone who is now pursuing research professionally (currently as a study coordinator and soon to be as a doctoral student), UROP was an amazing entry point into the world of research. I gained the skills and background that made me a desirable applicant for future jobs in research.
Where are you in your professional journey?
Currently a Study Coordinator for Dr. Charles Nelson at Boston Children's Hospital/Harvard. I am also in the interview process for doctoral programs in Developmental Psychology.
What advice would you give to a current UROP student?
I would say to take in as much as you can from every seminar. Some of them may not seem as immediately relevant, but I've found that later on in my research career nearly everything that I learned came up at some point. It's actually a really useful class in and of itself, and not just an opportunity for research training.
What are some recent publications or accomplishments that you are proud of?
I have a few offers for doctoral programs! Still deciding which one to go to, but I am excited to be embarking on the grad school journey soon!
Is there any other advice you would like to impart to current or future UROP students?
I would recommend following up with your mentors at least once or twice a year even after leaving the lab or graduating to maintain that strong relationship. This is especially important if you plan to ask that person for a letter of recommendation down the line for graduate school.