- All News
- Search News
- UROP Associate Director Catalina Ormsby Receives Distinguished Diversity Leaders Award
- UROP Welcomes New Director: Dr. Michelle Ferrez
- Thirty Years of UROP: Explore More
- 30th Anniversary of UROP Program
- A two-way street: UROP Peer Facilitators support first-year, second-year, and transfer students in their research and academics — and learn from them in the process
- UROP adapts to COVID crisis
- Corey J. Schiffman, MD
- Brent Frey, DDS
- Jane Brown, PhD Candidate
- Yaera Spraggins, Recently Published UROP Alumni
- Scott Koenigbauer, PhD Candidate
- Olivia Negris, Doctoral Candidate
- Michael DiDonato, UROP Alumni
- Vivian Kurtz UROP Alumni
- Geoffrey Jenkins, UROP Alumni
- Rhonda Fields, MSW - UROP Alumni
- Trey Thomas UROP Alumni
- Elizabeth Schill UROP Alumni
- Ryan Shami UROP Alumni
- Melissa Manley, PhD Candidate
- Tejash Patel, PhD
- Hayley Hoffman UROP Alumni
- GradeCraft helps UROP students become more curious and better researchers
- Lamira Ray, MPH
- Joshua Hurlburt, DDS
- Megan Wampler - UROP Alumni
- UROP Student Spotlight - Yasmeen Berry
- Celina Romano, JD, PhD Candidate
- Mikel Haggadone, PhD Candidate
- Colby Hanley, UROP Alumni
- Ian Waters, PhD
- Yannah Melle UROP Alumni
- Nida Ali, MPH
- Julia Wang, MD-PhD
- Ryan McWay, Research Area Specialist Associate
- Aracely Marroquin, CCSFP Researcher Awarded Grant
- Undergraduate student research spring symposium goes virtual
- Shannon Shaughnessy UROP Alumni
- Asa Smith, PhD, RN
- Lisa Barrett, PhD
- Kartik Bhatt, MPH
- Sari Grossman UROP Alumni
- Erin Ealba Bumann, DDS, PhD, MS
- Michael Marzano, UROP Alumni
- Connie Truong, MD
- Dan Hearsch, MBA
- Alexis Mulski, PhD Candidate
- Kristin Fischer, MPH
- Sujay Shetty, UROP Alumni
- Shao Wei Chia - UROP Alumni
- Courtney Whitcher, BS
- Arjune Dhanekula, MD
- Thomas Talhelm, PhD
- Gretchen Chidester, PhD
- Smita Bhattacharya, MS
- Sydney Foy - UROP Alumni
- Dr. Peter Scott - Alzheimer's Research
- Dr. Lawrence La Fountain-Stokes Research Project Feature
- Dr. Teresa Satterfield Research Project Feature
- Dr. Lindsay Bornheimer Research Project Feature
- Dr. Lisa Wexler Research Project Feature
- Dream of Detroit UROP Community Partner
- Rodrigo Ramirez Lescano, Masters Candidate
- Community Development Advocates of Detroit - UROP Community Partner
- Detroit Food Academy - UROP Community Partner
- Dr. Stephanie H. Cook Research Project Feature
- Josh Katzenstein - UROP Alumni
- Dr. Bethany Hughes Research Project Feature
- Dr. Lorenzo García-Amaya Research Project Feature
- Andrea Pesch, PhD Candidate
- Cindy A. Schipani, JD Research Project Feature
- UROP Research Project Feature: Human Rights and Indigenous Rights in Africa
- Nortown Community Development Corporation - UROP Community Partner
- Cyrus Najarian, MD/PhD Candidate
- UROP Featured Alumni Maggi Li
- Dr. Mehboob Hussain - Research Project Feature
- Research Project Feature: TrialNet Type 1 Diabetes: Pathway to Prevention
- Dr. Nikhil Parekh - Research Project Feature
- Vincent Pinti - Neubacher Award Winner
- UROP Alumni John Soukar, PhD Student
- UROP Alumni Hannah Levy
- UROP Alumni Collin Beavan
- UROP Alumni Julie Felberg
- UROP Featured Alumni Austin Basley
- Emily Guo - Community Health Fellow
- Harsh Jhaveri, BSE
- Dr. Kathryn Swanson, DDS
- UROP Featured Alumni Michael Falbo
- Allyson Eastman, JD
- UROP Alumni Aida Mandić
- UROP Alumni Accolades
- Brooke Bacigal, MSt Diplomatic Studies
- Research Mentor Feature: Dr. Alvaro Rojas-Peña
- Research Feature: Andre Monteiro Da Rocha, PhD
- Research Feature: Nancy Harmon R.D.H.
- Research Feature: Mothering Justice
- UROP Research Feature: Kimberley Heinrich, Ph.D.
- Research Feature, Audrey G. Bennett MFA
- UROP Alumni Justin Gordon
- UROP Alumni Emily Yerington, MAT; MEd
- UROP Alumni Maya Millette
- UROP Alumni Jacob Blanksvard
- UROP Alumni Dr. Julian Vasquez Heilig
- UROP Alumni Andrew Arche
- UROP Alumni Savannah Jelneck
- Congratulations Virgil Watkins
- Congratulations Emmanuel Orozco Castellanos
- Congratulations to Solomon Trice and his mentor Professor John Valadez.
- Congratulations to Associate Professor William A. Calvo-Quirós on receiving the Best First Book in the History of Religions for his book Undocumented Saints: The Politics of Migrating Devotions
- Archived News
- Lessons from virtual summer fellowship in Detroit linger for students
- All Events
What years did you participate in UROP?
I participated in the UROP program through the 2014-2015 school year. My research focused on a coral reef fish species that interestingly is bioluminescent due to a bacterial symbiont.
What made you choose UROP?
I chose to enroll in UROP as a freshman because it was recommended to me as a useful program to develop competitive skills for graduate school applications.
What do you think you have learned from your UROP experience?
During my year in UROP, I gained a basic understanding of fundamental research skills, including: general laboratory conduct, collaboration with other researchers, experimental design, data management and organization, statistical analysis using R software, scientific writing, and the process of submitting a manuscript to a peer-reviewed journal. I also experienced the process of trial and error that often accompanies scientific research, which taught me the patience and perseverance necessary for my field of study, along with time management skills.
What is the extent to which you have kept in contact with your Research Mentor?
Following the school year, I remained in contact with my UROP research mentor to see the project through the publication process. My mentor, Dr. Alison Gould, wrote a letter of recommendation for my application to graduate school three years later. I have remained in contact with her, even since she has moved to the California Academy of Sciences, on a somewhat regular basis, mainly to catch up on our current work. Her mentorship has remained a resource for me, as she provides useful advice for how to navigate graduate research.
How did your UROP experience shape or inform the next steps you took in your academic and professional journey?
After my freshman year in UROP, I was motivated to pursue a career in scientific research, and continued taking part in research projects to prepare for my next steps. My experiences through UROP made me a more competitive applicant for internships during my undergraduate education, including an NSF Research Experience for Undergraduates Fellowship. Those experiences also benefitted my application to Purdue University's graduate school, where I was accepted as a master's student, and have recently been accepted to stay as a PhD student.
What advice would you give to a current UROP student?
My advice to undergraduates who are either applying to or beginning their UROP projects is to discuss the potential of authorship with their mentors. My mentor offered me this opportunity at the outset of my project, and this experience, as well as the resulting publication, was a great way to bolster my resume.
What are some recent publications or accomplishments that you are proud of?
At Purdue, my research thesis has focused on contributing to our understanding of fish reproduction, and the relationships between maternal traits and the success of their offspring. Projects for this thesis have tested these relationships in fish species at a global scale, as well as locally in the Great Lakes. Last week, I successfully defended my master's thesis, and hope to publish the thesis chapters over the summer.
Is there any other advice you would like to impart to current or future UROP students?
Some general advice would be to ask plenty of questions. In my experience, professors and graduate students are usually happy to answer questions to students who express interest in their work.