- All News
- Search News
- UROP Associate Director Catalina Ormsby Receives Distinguished Diversity Leaders Award
- UROP Welcomes New Director: Dr. Michelle Ferrez
- Thirty Years of UROP: Explore More
- 30th Anniversary of UROP Program
- A two-way street: UROP Peer Facilitators support first-year, second-year, and transfer students in their research and academics — and learn from them in the process
- UROP adapts to COVID crisis
- Corey J. Schiffman, MD
- Brent Frey, DDS
- Jane Brown, PhD Candidate
- Yaera Spraggins, Recently Published UROP Alumni
- Scott Koenigbauer, PhD Candidate
- Olivia Negris, Doctoral Candidate
- Michael DiDonato, UROP Alumni
- Vivian Kurtz UROP Alumni
- Geoffrey Jenkins, UROP Alumni
- Rhonda Fields, MSW - UROP Alumni
- Trey Thomas UROP Alumni
- Elizabeth Schill UROP Alumni
- Ryan Shami UROP Alumni
- Melissa Manley, PhD Candidate
- Tejash Patel, PhD
- Hayley Hoffman UROP Alumni
- GradeCraft helps UROP students become more curious and better researchers
- Lamira Ray, MPH
- Joshua Hurlburt, DDS
- Megan Wampler - UROP Alumni
- UROP Student Spotlight - Yasmeen Berry
- Celina Romano, JD, PhD Candidate
- Mikel Haggadone, PhD Candidate
- Colby Hanley, UROP Alumni
- Ian Waters, PhD
- Yannah Melle UROP Alumni
- Nida Ali, MPH
- Julia Wang, MD-PhD
- Ryan McWay, Research Area Specialist Associate
- Aracely Marroquin, CCSFP Researcher Awarded Grant
- Undergraduate student research spring symposium goes virtual
- Shannon Shaughnessy UROP Alumni
- Asa Smith, PhD, RN
- Lisa Barrett, PhD
- Kartik Bhatt, MPH
- Sari Grossman UROP Alumni
- Erin Ealba Bumann, DDS, PhD, MS
- Michael Marzano, UROP Alumni
- Connie Truong, MD
- Dan Hearsch, MBA
- Alexis Mulski, PhD Candidate
- Kristin Fischer, MPH
- Sujay Shetty, UROP Alumni
- Shao Wei Chia - UROP Alumni
- Courtney Whitcher, BS
- Arjune Dhanekula, MD
- Thomas Talhelm, PhD
- Gretchen Chidester, PhD
- Smita Bhattacharya, MS
- Sydney Foy - UROP Alumni
- Dr. Peter Scott - Alzheimer's Research
- Dr. Lawrence La Fountain-Stokes Research Project Feature
- Dr. Teresa Satterfield Research Project Feature
- Dr. Lindsay Bornheimer Research Project Feature
- Dr. Lisa Wexler Research Project Feature
- Dream of Detroit UROP Community Partner
- Rodrigo Ramirez Lescano, Masters Candidate
- Community Development Advocates of Detroit - UROP Community Partner
- Detroit Food Academy - UROP Community Partner
- Dr. Stephanie H. Cook Research Project Feature
- Josh Katzenstein - UROP Alumni
- Dr. Bethany Hughes Research Project Feature
- Dr. Lorenzo García-Amaya Research Project Feature
- Andrea Pesch, PhD Candidate
- Cindy A. Schipani, JD Research Project Feature
- UROP Research Project Feature: Human Rights and Indigenous Rights in Africa
- Nortown Community Development Corporation - UROP Community Partner
- Cyrus Najarian, MD/PhD Candidate
- UROP Featured Alumni Maggi Li
- Dr. Mehboob Hussain - Research Project Feature
- Research Project Feature: TrialNet Type 1 Diabetes: Pathway to Prevention
- Dr. Nikhil Parekh - Research Project Feature
- Vincent Pinti - Neubacher Award Winner
- UROP Alumni John Soukar, PhD Student
- UROP Alumni Hannah Levy
- UROP Alumni Collin Beavan
- UROP Alumni Julie Felberg
- UROP Featured Alumni Austin Basley
- Emily Guo - Community Health Fellow
- Harsh Jhaveri, BSE
- Dr. Kathryn Swanson, DDS
- UROP Featured Alumni Michael Falbo
- Allyson Eastman, JD
- UROP Alumni Aida Mandić
- UROP Alumni Accolades
- Brooke Bacigal, MSt Diplomatic Studies
- Research Mentor Feature: Dr. Alvaro Rojas-Peña
- Research Feature: Andre Monteiro Da Rocha, PhD
- Research Feature: Nancy Harmon R.D.H.
- Research Feature: Mothering Justice
- UROP Research Feature: Kimberley Heinrich, Ph.D.
- Research Feature, Audrey G. Bennett MFA
- UROP Alumni Justin Gordon
- UROP Alumni Emily Yerington, MAT; MEd
- UROP Alumni Maya Millette
- UROP Alumni Jacob Blanksvard
- UROP Alumni Dr. Julian Vasquez Heilig
- UROP Alumni Andrew Arche
- UROP Alumni Savannah Jelneck
- Archived News
- Lessons from virtual summer fellowship in Detroit linger for students
- All Events
What UROP Program(s) were you a part of?
2018 (Traditional UROP as a Freshman - Health Sciences)
2020 (Peer Facilitator)
2021 (WAGSFP: Women and Gender Summer Fellowship Program)
What made you choose UROP?
I chose UROP because I wanted a unique experience outside of the classroom that would allow me to explore my interests in the health field through research. I was so excited to do UROP because I would be surrounded by a supportive group of peers additionally interested in research just as much as I was.
What do you think you have learned from your UROP experience?
My UROP experiences have taught me resilience, confidence, and grit. UROP threw me in a unique setting where I had to ignite my critical thinking skills and push the bounds of my knowledge in new ways. On top of my analytic skills and academic commitment in research, I learned more about the kind of person I want to become in advocating for underrepresented communities through research in healthcare.
What is the extent to which you have kept in contact with your Research Mentor?
Dr. Erica Marsh was my freshman UROP mentor. She was incredible to work with my introductory research skills and taught me many different types of methodologies when working on community engagement projects. My second mentor, Dr. Lindsay Admon, was amazing to learn from during my Women and Gender Fellowship experience. Dr. Admon opened my eyes to new topics and spent a lot of one-on-one time mentoring me on different analysis techniques. Both Dr. Marsh and Dr. Admon have become lifelong mentors and friends. I am forever grateful for their constant support and intentional mentorship for my growth as a young researcher. Today, we continue to work on projects together. As I enter graduate and medical school in the next upcoming years, I am super excited for our future projects.
How did your UROP experience shape or inform the next steps you took in your academic and professional journey?
UROP undoubtedly played a pivotal role in shaping my career interests, aspirations, and motivations. I learned the hows and whys behind my personal and professional goals I want to accomplish in research. Now, I find that I am still utilizing the original skills I learned in my freshman seminars. Throughout my undergraduate experience UROP remained a central figure that help to support any newfound interests I had in research.
Where are you in your professional journey?
Currently, I am in my final semester at University of Michigan and will be graduating with honors for a Bachelor's of Science in Public Health. I am additionally participating in the Michigan In Washington program, living in Washington DC this semester, and working as a full-time Health Policy Strategist intern at the American Heart Association.
What advice would you give to a current UROP student?
The only way you will learn and grow as a researcher (and person) is to challenge yourself by stepping into the unknown. This is your path, and you pursue it with excellence. You must face your fears because your goals demand it. You are far too GREAT to be the only thing standing in your way. Keep going!
What are some recent publications or accomplishments that you are proud of?
I have been accepted into graduate programs for a Masters in Public Policy - health policy focused.
Is there any other advice you would like to impart to current or future UROP students?
Nothing is impossible. If your dreams don't scare you, they are not big enough!