Skip to Content

Search: {{$root.lsaSearchQuery.q}}, Page {{$}}

RC Academic Standards

Residential College Academic Standards 
Policies and Procedures

The Residential College has a separate Board on Academic Standing (BOAS) that makes
decisions regarding academic discipline and considers petitions submitted by students for
independent and field study work and exceptions for various LSA and/or RC

RC students who are interested in completing independent or field study work must meet
with prospective faculty sponsors in the RC and complete and return the appropriate
application form (found in the Academic Services Office, 1813 East Quad).
Students seeking exceptions for distribution requirements must schedule an appointment
with one of the RC Academic Advisors. An advisor can make exceptions for distribution
and can make determinations about which requirements are fulfilled by transfer and study
abroad courses.


The RC BOAS meets twice a year (after the fall and winter semesters) to consider
matters of academic discipline; however, impromptu meetings are scheduled as necessary
or conducted via email. All transcripts of RC students are reviewed by the Director of
Academic Services who makes tentative categorizations for review by members of the
RC BOAS. Decisions are then made to send a letter of concern, place a student on
probation, suspend the student for a semester, or mark the student ‘Action Pending’.
If the student’s record is not complete for the previous semester (if there are reports of
“Incomplete”, or No Record, for example), the student is reported as “Action Pending”
and an email is sent to advise the student of their status.
Letters of concern are sent if the student has at least one grade for the semester that is
below a “C” grade or if the student has only earned partial credit in an RC language
Students are placed on probation if they have a GPA of less than “2.0”. They are advised
of their status via email and advised of the terms of probation: student must take no more
than 12 graded (not pass/fail) credits in the next full semester and must earn grades of
“C” or better. Students on probation are also required to meet regularly with an RC
Advisor. Requests for exceptions to the 12 credit limit can be considered by the Board.
Students can be suspended or NTRed if they have not met the terms of probation, have
had an especially poor semester or if the record overall raises significant concern for the
If the student is suspended (NTRed), they are sent an email advising them of their status
and advising them also of their right to submit a petition to the Board to make a case for
their return.

Follow-up to Disciplinary Action

Students who are placed on probation (or continued probation) receive a follow-up email
if they have not arranged to meet regularly with an RC Academic Advisor.
If a student has been suspended (NTRed) and submits a petition to be allowed to register,
the petition goes before the Board on Academic Standing and the student receives an
email as to their decision.
Students who received an “Action Pending” are reviewed again by the Board on
Academic Standing. If the student has made no progress in completing their record, and
especially if the student has received an AP in previous semesters, the Board may vote to
place the student on probation or to suspend (NTR) the student immediately. In such
cases, the student is notified of the Board’s decision by an email.
No follow-up is taken on students who receive a letter of concern.
All communication to the student on Behalf of the RC Board is directed to No other email accounts are utilized or kept on file by RC
Academic Services.

Grade Grievances

Within the Residential College (RC) in the College of Literature, Science, and the Arts, instructors are expected to set fair and consistent grading procedures for their respective courses.  The key to implementing fair grading procedures in courses across the College is that individual instructors adhere to grading rubrics that are applied evenly and consistently to all students within a respective course.  If the grading rubric is used consistently for each student, then the final grade is assumed to be the correct grade.   Nevertheless, students can inquire about a grade and subsequently initiate a grade grievance when they think that the grade was unfairly given.  The guidelines below shall serve to advise students in RC classes, faculty, and administration as to RC grade grievance procedures.

I. Consultation with Instructor

The first step in inquiring about the accuracy of a final grade should be directed to the lead instructor of the RC course. The student’s initial inquiry should take place within the first fifteen University business days of the first full term following the term in which the disputed grade was issued.  If, after this inquiry, the student is not satisfied with the instructor’s response, the student may choose to initiate a formal grade grievance.  To initiate a formal grade grievance, the student should contact the RC Director of Academic Services (currently Charlie Murphy,

II. Formal complaint to the RC Director of Academic Services (RCDAS)

To initiate the formal grade grievance process, the student must convey in writing the basis for the complaint, with specific evidence in support of the argument that the grade either was given in error or was unfairly determined.  This formal complaint also should summarize the outcome of the initial inquiry to the course instructor, indicating what aspects are in dispute.  Upon receipt of the written complaint, the Director of Academic Services will ask the instructor to provide a written summary restating how the final grade was determined and to respond to the specific claims made by the student.  
After receiving this information from both the student and the instructor, the RCDAS will then determine if sufficient evidence exists to convene the Department’s Grade Grievance Committee.  If the RCDAS determines that there is insufficient evidence for the grade grievance, the matter is considered closed, and the original grade stands.  
If the RCDAS determines that the grade grievance should proceed, a date for a formal hearing with the Grade Grievance Committee will be set.

III. Grade Grievance Hearing

Once it has been determined that a formal hearing will be held, the RCDAS will empanel the RC Grade Grievance Committee – comprised of the Director of Academic Services (ex officio), an advisor from the Board on Academic Standing, an outside faculty member, the Residential College Director, the program head of the course in question, and, if possible 1 or 2 students who have taken the course, chosen at random.   Both the student filing the grade grievance and the respective instructor will be provided with copies of the written student complaint and the instructor’s summary in advance of the formal hearing.  During the formal hearing, the student will be asked to first present the basis of his or her complaint; the instructor will then be asked to present his or her explanation for how grades were determined.   Following an open period of questions to all parties, i.e., the student, the instructor and the Grade Grievance committee members, the formal hearing will be adjourned.  

IV. Grade Grievance Committee’s Recommendation

The Grade Grievance Committee will then have ten University business days to determine its recommendation and submit a written report to the RCDAS.
If the Grade Grievance Committee decides that a grade change is not warranted, the RCDAS will convey this in writing to the student and the instructor.  The original grade will stand and the matter is considered closed.  
If the committee recommends a grade change, the RCDAS will communicate that decision directly to the instructor.  The instructor will then be asked to respond in writing within five University business days to the RCDAS indicating whether or not he/she will abide by the Grade Grievance Committee’s recommendation.  If the instructor agrees to a grade change, the RCDAS will, in writing, inform the student of the instructor’s decision and the student’s final course grade will be changed.  The matter is considered closed.
If an instructor does not accept the Grade Grievance Committee’s recommendation to change the final grade, the original grade will stand.  By College policy, a final course grade rests solely with the instructor and, as such, a course grade cannot be changed without the instructor’s consent. When this occurs, the RCDAS will convey in writing this decision to the student.  The matter is considered closed.
Once this procedure has been exhausted, there is no other appeal procedure in the Residential College or in the College of LSA or at the University of Michigan at large.