Skip to Content

Search: {{$root.lsaSearchQuery.q}}, Page {{$}}

BA, BS and BGS degree options


All RC students are LSA students, and LSA awards three basic degrees: the Bachelor of Arts (A.B.), the Bachelor of Science (B.S.), and the Bachelor in General Studies (B.G.S.). The Bachelor of Science in Chemistry (B.S. Chem.) is also granted. The Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Science degrees require a general understanding of the humanities, natural sciences, and social sciences, as well as in-depth study of at least one subject area. Students are also required to achieve competency in the use of the English language and to acquire proficiency in a language other than English. They must elect one or two courses designed to develop skills in quantitative reasoning and one course addressing issues involving race and ethnicity.

Beyond these general requirements, students may choose elective courses to complete a minimum of 120 credits.

The Bachelor of Science degree requires 60 credits in physical and natural science and mathematics. Students pursuing a secondary teaching certificate are required to earn additional credits through the School of Education.

Students majoring in any of the RC's four majors could potentially earn an B.A. or a B.S., depending on their credits and coverage of the different requirements for each of those degrees. 

The Bachelor in General Studies degree encourages students to take responsibility for structuring their own multidisciplinary academic programs. This degree requires a minimum of 120 credits and includes First-Year Writing, Upper-Level Writing, Race and Ethnicity, and Quantitative Reasoning requirements. At least 60 credits of courses numbered 300 or above must be completed with no more than 20 of these 60 credits from one subject. RC students doing a B.G.S. must include in their academic plan the completion of the RC arts practicum, the live-in requirement, the RC language requirement, and requirement for four RC courses.

To declare the Bachelor of General Studies plan, you'll need to make an academic advising appointment with David Burkam.