Skip to Content

Search: {{$root.lsaSearchQuery.q}}, Page {{$}}

Transfer Students


The Residential College enrolls transfer students who have earned 40 or less credits from within U-M or external colleges and universities. Transfer RC students are obligated to complete RC requirements. It is possible that some of these requirements will be fulfilled through transfer credits. Please note that the RC does not review individual transcripts, essays, etc. as these are handled directly by the Office of Undergraduate Admissions. 

Fill out the form below and the Residential College Admissions Office will reach out via email to discuss your interest in transferring into the RC.  

Are you a transfer LSA student interested in an RC major and/or minor?

The Residential College is home to four interdisciplinary majors: Arts and Ideas in the Humanities, Creative Writing and Literature, Drama, and Social Theory and Practice.  The Residential College is, also, home to four interdisciplinary minors: Crime and Justice, Drama: Text to Performance, Science, Technology and Society, and Urban Studies. As an interdisciplinary program, Residential College does allow students to take and transfer courses from other institutions to UM for prerequisite and major/minor credit through the department approval process.  

Transfer courses may be applied toward your major or minor.  Each of the majors and minors allows students to take and transfer courses from other institutions (including study abroad courses) to UM for prerequisite and major/minor credit by providing the course syllabus to the program advisor for review.  Students must supply a syllabus and reading list to the advisor for the courses to be approved. Each major/minor may limit the number of transfer and study abroad courses that can be used for the major/minor. The transfer student can check the Transfer Credit Equivalency (TCE) website to see if the class has already been approved.  Whether the student is a transfer student currently enrolled at UM or a prospective transfer student, the advisor will determine the number of credits that can be approved for transfer.

To make an appointment with an advisor to determine if the courses are eligible for transfer to the Residential College’s major or minor program, please make an appointment online here. If you have questions, please contact RC Academic Services and Advising at, visit our website through the link here, or call 734-763-0032.