- All News
- Search News
- Student News
- Globalize your liberal arts education this summer in Dublin
- Intern Spotlight: Adam Seltzer
- What LSA students are saying about the ALA 325 course
- Intern Spotlight: Natalie Suh
- In-person, drop-in coaching is paused until further notice
- Our coaches are online and ready to provide virtual coaching
- April Alumni Connections
- Gain critical leadership experience as a Hub ambassador
- What can LSA students be doing right now to further their career goals?
- Virtual internships in spring and summer of 2020 are now eligible for funding
- May Virtual Alumni Connections
- Get a first look into the upcoming release of LSA’s new mentoring platform
- Why early career exploration really matters
- Alum Story: Discover how this 2009 English grad secured his first job during the housing market crash
- Alum Story: Find out how this LSA alum turned his ‘baseball’ career aspirations into a reality
- August's Employer Connections
- What’s ‘Happening’ virtually this Fall at the LSA Opportunity Hub
- Discover what LSA’s online community has been buzzing about
- RSVP for Fall's career-building workshops
- Fostering career connections from home
- A transformation from on-site and in-person to virtual and remote
- Alum Story: Hear how this LSA alum and Detroit native transformed tragedy into human achievement
- Alum Story: From schoolcraft to statecraft
- Connecting all Corners
- LSA Connect turns six months!
- Host an LSA student’s virtual internship this summer
- More than $350,000 awarded to LSA students as virtual internship support
- Are virtual internships as valuable as on-site ones? The experts weigh in with a resounding “Yes”
- 2021 Internship Forum
- Alum Story: A journey to the center of the self
- Student spotlight: Unlocking the mysteries of the human body—and demystifying the career exploration journey
- 2021 Grad School Fair
- Hub Industry Groups
- How to (net)work your way into a new career opportunity
- Graduating Hub intern shares that working at the Hub was more than just an internship experience
- More than just students: setting the Hub up for success
- In the “room” where it happens
- Applied Liberal Arts courses at the Hub
- Leveraging your LSA alum network as a recent graduate
- The road to discovery: An LSA alum looks back on how she found fulfillment in an unlikely place
- Three science alums, three very different career journeys
- Career fairs: an opportunity to explore, connect, and practice
- What is ‘career exploration’—and why does it matter?
- Three alums, three identities, three incredibly diverse career paths
- Internships: A way to trying on different careers for size
- An inside look into career coaching
- Where will your LSA degree take you?
- Waste not, want not
- 2022 LSA Internship Fair
- Making career choices with a little help from your LSA friends
- "Be your own advocate"
- 2022 Grad School Fair
- Take the pressure off
- Unlocking your next internship opportunity
- The Grad School Question
- How to Get Hired
- Navigating the unexpected
- All Events
From access to engaged learning opportunities with the LSA Opportunity Hub and optiMize, to funding opportunities through the LSA Scholarships office, to a dedicated space for LSA transfer students — the new LSA Building is all about student access.
The 45,000 square foot addition was designed by lauded architecture firm Bohlin Cywinski Jackson, who designed the famous Apple Store in NYC. The new space includes a state of the art team-based learning classroom; 12 interview rooms for employers to meet with students; a lounge for LSA alum and employer guests; an event space: a self-serve 24/7 food and beverage market; a prayer/meditation/wellness room, and the best part — expanded footprint for students to study, hangout, eat, and rest.
How the Hub impacts LSA students
The fulcrum of the student Hub experience is coaching. Master’s-level coaches are available from Monday to Friday (see drop-in coaching hours) to work with students on their resumes, cover letters, grad school applications, internship searches, and any other career-related activities.
Internships have been synonymous with the Hub since its early days. Once the core of the Hub’s work, the Hub Internship Program is one of many ways the Hub serves students. It is a collection of high-quality, curated internships that are designed specifically for LSA students. These foundational opportunities are paired with industry-specific programming and guided professional development to support students’ pursuit of their career goals.
The Hub instructional team offers three courses, aimed at different development stages of a student’s professional identity. ALA 125 is helpful for students earlier in their career planning or are about to embark on internships; ALA 225 provides valuable reflection exercises and guidance during a student’s internship; and lastly, ALA 325 is geared towards juniors and seniors as they prepare to take steps after graduation
Student-driven connections to alum and employers is led by the Hub’s Alumni and Employer Engagement team. They develop, cultivate, and grow relationships with alum and employers to source on-campus and regionally-specific applied (internships) learning opportunities which are exclusive to undergraduate LSA students. Events include the popular Alumni Connections, where alums return to campus to talk about their career paths or a specific topic (like travel and lifestyle journalism or energy law) and answer student questions in small to large groups. Recently launched is the Hub’s Employer Presents series. Last semester, Airbnb led a content strategy workshop, allowing students to explore their interest in a similar role or organization.
Finally, through the efforts of the mentorship team, the Hub is slated to launch LSA Connect in fall of 2020. LSA Connect is an online community where students can receive professional guidance from experienced mentors and build enduring relationships that can have long-term impact on career outcomes.
The LSA Opportunity Hub — working with LSA students on connecting their education to their careers.