- All News
- Search News
- Student News
- Globalize your liberal arts education this summer in Dublin
- Intern Spotlight: Adam Seltzer
- What LSA students are saying about the ALA 325 course
- Intern Spotlight: Natalie Suh
- In-person, drop-in coaching is paused until further notice
- Our coaches are online and ready to provide virtual coaching
- April Alumni Connections
- Gain critical leadership experience as a Hub ambassador
- What can LSA students be doing right now to further their career goals?
- Virtual internships in spring and summer of 2020 are now eligible for funding
- May Virtual Alumni Connections
- Get a first look into the upcoming release of LSA’s new mentoring platform
- Why early career exploration really matters
- Alum Story: Discover how this 2009 English grad secured his first job during the housing market crash
- Alum Story: Find out how this LSA alum turned his ‘baseball’ career aspirations into a reality
- August's Employer Connections
- What’s ‘Happening’ virtually this Fall at the LSA Opportunity Hub
- Discover what LSA’s online community has been buzzing about
- RSVP for Fall's career-building workshops
- Fostering career connections from home
- A transformation from on-site and in-person to virtual and remote
- Alum Story: Hear how this LSA alum and Detroit native transformed tragedy into human achievement
- Alum Story: From schoolcraft to statecraft
- Connecting all Corners
- LSA Connect turns six months!
- Host an LSA student’s virtual internship this summer
- More than $350,000 awarded to LSA students as virtual internship support
- Are virtual internships as valuable as on-site ones? The experts weigh in with a resounding “Yes”
- 2021 Internship Forum
- Alum Story: A journey to the center of the self
- Student spotlight: Unlocking the mysteries of the human body—and demystifying the career exploration journey
- 2021 Grad School Fair
- Hub Industry Groups
- All Events
Needless to say, the LSA Opportunity Hub—like the rest of the world—could not have anticipated the events that took place this spring and the disruption it would later create for LSA students set to embark on transformative internship experiences over the summer. At a time of year when most students are completing final interviews and are set to accept internship offers, the Hub switched gears and began working very closely with aforementioned students and employer partners to fully embrace a virtual-only summer of career opportunities.
Internship Program staff worked diligently to identify and create new virtual internship opportunities and collaborate with internship hosts to transition in-person internships into a virtual setting, for both domestic and international positions. Helpful tools and guides were developed to assist students on preparing for effective remote work and how to pitch potential virtual internship opportunities to prospective employers.
Ashleigh Hardy is the Hub’s assistant director of internship programs. She explains, “We had to pivot on all ends to ensure that students were equipped with adequate information on how to proceed with their summer internship plans and to make sure students had back-up plans they felt comfortable with in the event their internship was canceled”.
In an effort to help students continue to explore their industry interests but also understand the new realities on the ground, the employer engagement team collaborated with regional alum enagement managers to host virtual roundtable discussions that zeroed in on emerging trends within a particular industry. LSA students had a chance to hear from a panel of alums—industry leaders and experts in their field—and employers on how COVID-19 impacted fields like healthcare, economic policy, nonprofits, and data & technology industries. Students emerged with a clearer understanding of the new climate in those industries, how the workplace has shifted, and what kind of internships and jobs have been created as a result.
The overarching goal was to have these panelists provide a bevy of critical insights so that student attendees could actively make educated decisions about their futures. For students exploring career possibilities, knowledge about the working world and our global marketplace is critical.
If you or your employer would like to host an LSA intern in Summer 2021, please email us email@example.com and our Employer Engagement team will be in touch to explore potential internship opportunities.