- All News
- Search News
- Student News
- Globalize your liberal arts education this summer in Dublin
- Intern Spotlight: Adam Seltzer
- What LSA students are saying about the ALA 325 course
- Intern Spotlight: Natalie Suh
- In-person, drop-in coaching is paused until further notice
- Our coaches are online and ready to provide virtual coaching
- April Alumni Connections
- Gain critical leadership experience as a Hub ambassador
- What can LSA students be doing right now to further their career goals?
- Virtual internships in spring and summer of 2020 are now eligible for funding
- May Virtual Alumni Connections
- All Events
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and to ensure the safety of our students, all spring and summer 2020 internships, whether they are US-based or international, must be offered in a “virtual” format: a setting where you, the intern, works remotely for the entire duration of the internship without any in-person contact. This includes Hub internships that were originally offered in an in-person format through the LSA Opportunity Network.
For ALA 225 course credit, all internships (whether US or international) can continue to be supported and/or receive credit if they are offered in a remote format (without "in-person contact"). If a student’s internship will remain in-person or have a combination of remote and in-person work, they must complete a few extra steps. Please consult the LSA COVID 2019 Adjustment Policy for Internship Course Credit.
What this means for the Hub’s internship offerings:
- In-person, on-site internships, either in the US or internationally, will not be funded by the LSA Internship Scholarship.
- If you and your employer are able to transition an existing on-site internship to a remote working arrangement or if you secure a virtual internship elsewhere, then you will become eligible to apply for this internship funding.
- If you need support on how to talk to your employer about converting an existing on-site internship into a virtual one, please see more information below under “ways we can support you."
- To learn more about the eligibility requirements, award disbursements, and how to apply, please visit the LSA Internship Scholarship page for details and instructions.
- For more information about the Hub’s spring and summer internships, including the Applebaum Internship Program, please visit our Hub Internships page for updates.
Ways we can support you:
- Financial support for virtual internships in Summer 2020. Up to $5,000 in funding is available to cover the cost of interning remotely in the US or internationally. To receive Summer 2020 funding, your internship must be in a virtual, remote format. These scholarships are made possible through a partnership with the LSA Opportunity Hub and the LSA Scholarships Office, and thanks to generous donations from U-M alumni and supporters. Visit the LSA Internship Scholarship page for eligibility requirements, award disbursements, and how to apply.
- Access a comprehensive guide on virtual internships and remote work. In this helpful guide, you’ll find recommended strategies on engaging with your employers on how to convert an existing on-site internship into a virtual internship. You’ll also get a preview of what to expect while working remotely and tips on how to prepare yourself and your workspace for remote work.
- Explore the Hub's virtual internship opportunities available this summer. Find out what remote intern positions are open for applications and apply through the LSA Opportunity Network.
- Questions? Browse Help Topics. We’ve compiled answers to your most pressing questions as they relate to spring and summer internships, funding for those internships, academic credit for the Hub’s ALA courses, and more.
- Book a virtual coaching appointment: If you’re looking for coaching on any aspect of your professional development and career exploration, you can schedule a one-on-one meeting with a Hub coach. You can also meet with one of the Hub’s Internship Coordinators for coaching specific to internships. To schedule a phone or virtual coaching appointment, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, and we will reply back as quickly as possible.
- Connect with LSA alumni and Hub employer partners. This summer, we’ll be launching LSA Connect — an online platform where you can connect with LSA’s incredibly global network of alums about your career questions. We also will be hosting virtual networking events throughout the summer themes around industry interests. These virtual connections with alums and employers can help further your understanding of various fields and facilitate experiences of various career paths. Look out for announcements on both LSA Connect and virtual networking events through our website or through our Hub Happenings newsletter.