- All News
- Search News
- Student News
- Globalize your liberal arts education this summer in Dublin
- Intern Spotlight: Adam Seltzer
- What LSA students are saying about the ALA 325 course
- Intern Spotlight: Natalie Suh
- In-person, drop-in coaching is paused until further notice
- Our coaches are online and ready to provide virtual coaching
- April Alumni Connections
- Gain critical leadership experience as a Hub ambassador
- What can LSA students be doing right now to further their career goals?
- Virtual internships in spring and summer of 2020 are now eligible for funding
- May Virtual Alumni Connections
- Get a first look into the upcoming release of LSA’s new mentoring platform
- Why early career exploration really matters
- Alum Story: Discover how this 2009 English grad secured his first job during the housing market crash
- Alum Story: Find out how this LSA alum turned his ‘baseball’ career aspirations into a reality
- August's Employer Connections
- What’s ‘Happening’ virtually this Fall at the LSA Opportunity Hub
- Discover what LSA’s online community has been buzzing about
- RSVP for Fall's career-building workshops
- Fostering career connections from home
- A transformation from on-site and in-person to virtual and remote
- Alum Story: Hear how this LSA alum and Detroit native transformed tragedy into human achievement
- Alum Story: From schoolcraft to statecraft
- Connecting all Corners
- LSA Connect turns six months!
- Host an LSA student’s virtual internship this summer
- More than $350,000 awarded to LSA students as virtual internship support
- Are virtual internships as valuable as on-site ones? The experts weigh in with a resounding “Yes”
- 2021 Internship Forum
- Alum Story: A journey to the center of the self
- Student spotlight: Unlocking the mysteries of the human body—and demystifying the career exploration journey
- 2021 Grad School Fair
- Hub Industry Groups
- Graduating Hub intern shares that working at the Hub was more than just an internship experience
- In the “room” where it happens
- All Events
With internships being such a critical experience for students, the LSA Opportunity Hub since its inception has made a deep commitment to ensuring that all liberal arts students who are interested in an internship can afford to take one.
Funding an internship for an LSA student not only supports their experience but provides a foundation for them to launch a lifetime of professional development. The generosity of donors and alums gives all LSA students the chance to connect their liberal arts education to their goals and aspirations regardless of financial—or in this case, proximity—barriers.
This past year, the College made the unprecedented decision to provide summer funding support to students who pursued virtual internships, both in the US or internationally. This decision freed LSA students to pursue remote opportunities and to petition their internship hosts to transition in-person internships into a virtual format.
With virtual internships, financial support looks a little different. For spring and summer 2020, many students found themselves unable to get out of their off-campus housing leases which were secured for the original purpose of completing an in-person internship. Others were able to move back home but new needs emerged such as increased internet capabilities to make remote work possible and professional clothing for video meetings.
The LSA Internship Scholarship ensured that these expenses were funded, and students were able to focus their time on in-the-field career learning. Ultimately, over $350,000 was awarded to 125 students who pursued virtual internships in the summer of 2020.
These students reported that their remote work experiences taught them how to work independently, solve problems, communicate effectively through the written word, and how to proactively reach out to colleagues. These lifelong skills will serve them well into their careers.
As we begin to see what life and work will look like this summer and beyond, students can be confident that the LSA Internship Scholarship will make it possible to pursue their dream internship.
To learn more about funding a student’s internship, please connect with one of LSA’s regional directors.