- Awards & Fellowships
- Recent Ph.D. Recipients
- Student Handbook - AIM & Math
- Students On the Job Market - AIM & Math
- Student Spotlight - AIM & Math
- Thesis Defense Schedule
Educational Activities & Seminars
The mathematical vitality of the Department may be measured, in part, by the number of educational activities that take place outside the traditional classroom. Most research areas organize one or more seminars that meet once or twice each week. The Colloquium meets each week for a talk aimed at a general mathematical audience, usually by a visitor from another university. Often, additional special lectures are scheduled as a forum for other short-term visitors. All of these are announced in a weekly bulletin posted on the department website.
Attending a dissertation defense not only can be helpful to prepare for your own defense, but can be educational as well. Rackham maintains a schedule of defense dates for all of the graduate students.
The Rackham Graduate School offers a wide range of programs, discussions, and workshops for students. Sample topics include: program perspectives, career paths, and how to write a dissertation.
The SIAM student chapter at the University of Michigan was set up in the Fall of 2009. Our missions include:
- Promoting professional interactions between applied mathematicians both at the University of Michigan and within the Industry.
- Enhancing interest in topics pertaining to Applied Mathematics.
- Supplying professional opportunities for the Applied Mathematic community at the University of Michigan.
- Providing a forum for the exchange of information and ideas between mathematicians and other technical and scientific personnel.
The English Language Institute at the University of Michigan offers academic writing courses for graduate students.
- ELI 521 Writing for Acadmic Purposes I
- ELI 522 Research Paper Writing
- ELI 620 Dissertation Writing and Writing for Publication I
- ELI 621 Dissertation Writing and Writing for Publication II
Sweetland offers face-to-face writing help for graduate students in Writing Workshop. This service allows you to meet one-to-one with an experienced faculty consultant at any stage of writing, from getting started to final revisions. You can get help with understanding assignments, generating ideas, developing arguments, organizing and structuring, using evidence and sources, and clarifying your expression. To get a sense of what to expect, please read our policies before attending your first Writing Workshop session.
Programs through the IMA (Institute for Mathematics and its Applications), based in Minneapolis at the University of Minnesota. Michigan is a "particpating institution" in the IMA which means that most activities are highly subsidized for our graduate students. Here is a complete list of the summer programs at IMA.
The Geophysical Fluid Dynamics Fellowship Program at Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution runs each summer on various topics connected with nonlinear dynamics of rotating, stratified fluids.
Professional Development and Careers
The Erdős Institute
The Erdős Institute is a multi-university collaboration focused on helping PhDs get jobs they love at every stage of their career. Founded in 2017, the Institute helps train and place a diverse pool of graduate students, postdocs, and graduate alumni. The University of Michigan Department of Mathematics is a member; graduate students, postdocs, and graduate alumni have free access to all of the programming and resources that the Institute provides. Examples include the "Invitation to Industry" seminar series, Data Science Bootcamps, Alumni-Led Mini-Courses, Interview Prep Workshops, and Career Coaching . Please visit https://www.erdosinstitute.org/ to enroll.
University Professional Development Resources
- Rackham DEO Professional Development Certificate
- Rackham Professional Development Leader Program
- Rackham Professional Develepment Workshops
- University of Michigan Career Center
American Mathematical Society Resources
- AMS Grad Student Chapters
- AMS Grad Student Travel and Conference Grants
- AMS Headlines and Deadlines for Grads
- AMS Grad Student Blog
- AMS How to give a good Colloquium
- AMS Advice on jobs and employment
- Google Internships
- Microsoft Internships
- D.E. Shaw Internships
- Jane Street Internships
- Deloitte Internships
- McKinsey Internships
- Goldman Sachs Internships
- Chicago Trading Company Internships