Skip to Content

Search: {{$root.lsaSearchQuery.q}}, Page {{$}}

Frequently Asked Questions

Prospective Students

I am interested in applying to the University of Michigan and I have questions about requirements. How can I find more information?

All admissions are handled through the Office of Undergraduate Admissions. Answers to many frequently asked questions as well as contact information can be found there.

I am a high school and/or recently admitted student interested in the Mathematics Department. How should I go about setting up a visit?

Please contact the Math undergraduate office at and we will work with you to set up an appointment with one of our faculty, a meeting with one of our current undergrads, and if you’d like, a class visit. We’ll need to know a date, time, any other appointments you have on campus we’ll have to work around, and an area of mathematics you might be interested in.

Advising & Major/Minor Requirements

How do I declare a Mathematics major or minor?

In order to declare a math major, you will need to set up an appointment with a math faculty advisor. Appointments can be made online.

Math minors can be declared by sending an email to or stopping by the Undergraduate Student Services office (2082 East Hall)

How do I set up an appointment with an advisor? Do you have walk-in advising?

We do not have walk-in advising. Appointments must be made online.

In which formats is remote advising available, and do I need any special software to participate?

The advisors have chosen several different forms of communication for their advising appointments, including email, phone calls, and video conferencing. If the format is not indicated when you sign up for your advising, the advisor will reach out to you before the appointment with how they will contact you. No special software is needed, but it is helpful to have a video conferencing account ready like Skype, Zoom or Bluejeans.

I want to declare a dual major with LSA and another college. How do I do this online?

In order to have a dual major with LSA, you need to contact the Newnan Advising Center to be admitted into LSA. Once that has gone through, we can help you declare a major in Math.

I’m graduating soon and am almost done with my Math major or minor. What do I have to do now?

Once you are ready to graduate, you will need to have your major/minor "released". Minors should e-mail and include your UMID and major(s) in addition to a list of the 5 courses you will be using for your math minor. If you are an LSA student, be sure to indicate whether any of the courses you'll be using for your minor will be shared with you major. 

In order to release your major, you will need to setup an advising appointment. An advisor will go through your transcript with you and sign a form stating you’ve completed your requirements. Don’t forget to also apply for graduation on Wolverine Access.


Do I need to unmask my grades for credit to count toward my major/minor?

What are my grading options for the 2020-2021 academic year?

Please see the 2020-2021 Undergraduate Grading FAQ page on the Office of the Registrar website. 


How do I go about getting permission to register into a course currently “closed” on Wolverine Access?

This depends on the course. Enrollment for many upper level courses is handled entirely through the waitlist, so if there is a waitlist available on Wolverine Access, please add yourself to it.

Enrollment is handled slightly differently for Math 105, 115, and 116. Seats for these courses are opened periodically throughout the registration period (for fall terms this means throughout the summer break). You'll need to check Wolverine Access periodically to see if any seats open up that fit your schedule. If you are still unable to enroll in a section of 105, 115, or 116 once the beginning of the term approaches, please add yourself to the Math 105/115/116 waitlist.

Transfer Credits

All courses are online now, can online courses count for transfer credit?

If the course was previously evaluated in the Transfer Credit Database as directly equivalent to a U(M) Mathematics course, it will transfer during the Winter 2020 and Spring/Summer 2020 terms regardless of whether or not it is taken online.  If it has not yet been evaluated, it must be submitted for evaluation through the aforementioned database.

How do I get my Mathematics Department transfer credit evaluated?

Please visit our transfer credit page for details.

AP Exam Credits

I took the AP exam during the COVID-19 timeframe and the exams were changed. Will I still get additional credits as listed on Amissions AP/IB Exam Website?

  • The AB exam will not change and credits will be granted as listed on Admissions AP/IB Exam Website. 
  • The BC exam underwent more drastic changes and we are currently discussing whether or not credits will be granted based on completion.  We will update this page when a policy has been created.

I should have additional AP credits posted on my transcript but I don’t see anything posted yet. What should I do?

The Registrar’s Office runs this as a batch process sometime after the next term begins. If you still don’t see the credits posted by 6 weeks after the end of the term in which you took your first math course, please contact the Registrar’s Office directly.


How would I find a math tutor? Do tutors assist middle or high school students?

This math tutor list includes those tutors interested in assisting middle or high school students.  For U of M students, the free “Math Lab” located in B860 East Hall, offers tutoring up through Math 217.

Undergraduate Research Program (REU)

Does the Mathematics Department offer a research program for students?

The Research Experience for Undergraduates (REU) program runs every summer for U.S. citizens or permanent residents. This program is now open to non U-M students as well. Applications are usually available in February and due in March.

I submitted my application but haven’t heard anything back. What is the status of my application?

2020 Application Update: If you have not yet heard back from the program at this time, then we were unable to offer you a position in our 2020 REU program.  The program is highly selective and we had well over 300 applications. Selections were made based on the best match between faculty mentors & students.  If you will continue to be an undergraduate in the 2021 school year, then we encourage you to apply again then. Applications will become available in late November for the 2021 REU program.

Is the 2020 REU program still happening? Will there be a virtual option?

Many mentors in the REU program will be moving research online for the entirety of the program.  As such, students participating in the program will not be expected to travel to campus, but are still expected to adhere to all other requirements laid out in their offer letters.   We recommend that you reach out to your mentor to discuss the possibility of remote research if you have been extended an offer.