Skip to Content

Search: {{$root.lsaSearchQuery.q}}, Page {{$}}

Course Enrollment

The University of Michigan is home to a large collection of strong graduate programs. There are renowned faculty teaching courses all over campus. Courses maintained by the College of Literature, Science, and the Arts are available on the LSA Course Guide. The Rackham Graduate School maintains a list of all graduate degree programs and courses offered on the Programs of Study website. Students should also consult the website of the academic department where the course is being offered.

When do I register?

The Office of the Registrar maintains deadlines and resources relevant to course enrollment. Current students will have the opportunity to register for the upcoming term during the last month of the previous semester.  Your appointment date is displayed in the "Enrollment Dates" box on the right hand side of your Student Business homepage.  Click "Details" and choose the correct term to view your appointment time.    Students that do not register by the first day of classes will be assessed a late registration fee

How many credits do I take?

All graduate students must be enrolled in at least 8 credits to be considered a full-time student unless on a GSI or GSRA appointment and then 6 credits is considered full time.  CUGS students must be enrolled in at least 9 credits.

What should I take?

All graduate students should discuss their course choices with their counselor prior to registration.   Seats in required core/alpha courses will be saved for entering 1st year students. Requirements are determined by the specific program.  A list of recommended computing courses can be found here.

How do I register?

The LSA Newnan Academic Advising Center has published these helpful videos on how to register using Wolverine Access:

In order to obtain a permission to a Math course, you must first get on a waitlist.  You are not officially on a waitlist if the course is in your backpack.  To get on a waitlist, you must click the "Waitlist if class is full" checkbox prior to registering for the course.  If you have done this correctly, the course will show in your registration for the term with a yellow triangle (not in the backpack).

The controls permissions for all Math courses except Math 700, 990, and 995.  For a permission for Math 700, 990, or 995, email the  Once you receive a permission, be sure to use it within the deadline, or it will be forfeited and you will need to get back on the waitlist.

What if I Need Accommodations?

If you think you need an accommodation for a disability, please contact the Services for Students with Disabilities (SSD) Office located at G664 Haven Hall. The SSD phone number is 734-763-3000. Once your eligibility for an accommodation has been determined you will be issued a verified individual services accommodation (VISA) form.  Please present this form to each instructor at the beginning of the term, or at least two weeks prior to the need for the accommodation (test, project, etc…).

How do I Drop a Course?

You should be particularly mindful of deadlines for dropping and adding classes, withdrawing from classes, and for payment of fees.  Typically the drop/add deadline will be three weeks after the first day of class.  After that, graduate students may withdraw from a course up until the last day of classes and receive a "W" on their transcript.

What is the minimum passing grade?

A grade of B- or higher is considered passing. Mathematics Graduate Students are also subject to Rackham's Grading policies.

How do I audit a course?

According to this Rackham policy, Graduate students may audit a course.  Forward written permission from the course instructor to

How do I take an independent reading/research course?

First, obtain email approval from a faculty member with a non-zero appointment i.e. not Affiliated Faculty.   Second, forward the email to the requesting a permission to register.  Math 700 Reading/Research is 1-3 credits dependent on your agreement with the faculty member.  Math 990 pre-candidacy is 8 credits.  Math 995 candidacy is 8 credits.  You must register in the specific section for your advisor.

Can I register for undergraduate courses?

Graduate students may take undergraduate courses as long as they are not restricted to only undergraduates.  Graduates do not receive credit for undergraduate courses.  In order to Audit the course, you must  get instructor permission and forward the email to the registrar's office at Please note that candidates may only register for a maximum of 4 credits in addition to their 8 credits of Math 995.