The Science Learning Center (SLC) provides appointment-based, small group tutoring for select groups of eligible students (detailed further below).
Appointment-Based peer tutoring has in-person and online options. Tutor appointments are scheduled using WC Online.
Which courses are supported by Appointment-Based Peer Tutoring?
- Biology 171, 172, 225, 305
- MCDB 310, 322
- Chemistry 130, 210, 215, 230, 260/261, 351
- Physics 140, 150, 240, 250
During Fall/Winter/Spring/Summer terms, who qualifies for Appointment-Based Peer Tutoring?
- Comprehensive Studies Program (CSP)
- HAIL Scholars
- Douglass Houghton Scholars Program (DHSP)
- Transfer students
- Students registered with Services for Students with Disabilities (SSD)
- Students on Academic Probation
- Kessler Scholars
- Office of Academic Multicultural Initiatives (OAMI) SuccessConnects
- Women in Science and Engineering Residential Program (WISE-RP)
- Health Science Scholars Program (HSSP)
- Michigan Research and Discovery Scholars (MRADS)
- Everyone in the above eligible groups
- Everyone enrolled in Physics 140 & Physics 240
- Everyone enrolled in a supported course
NOTE: If you do not qualify for Appointment-Based tutoring, you may utilize SLC's Drop-In Peer Tutoring for some courses.
How do I set up an appointment?
If you cannot find a tutor appointment that works for you on the current schedule, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. We will ask our tutors to see if someone can open a day and time that works with your schedule.
If you cannot access the WC Online scheduling system, please email email@example.com for assistance in activating your account.
Please note that appointments cancelled with less than 12 hours notice or students who are more than 15 minutes late will be marked as "no-shows." Students who are marked as a "no-show" two or more times during the same semester will be asked to meet with a Program Manager before they are permitted to continue meeting with a tutor.
What do tutors provide?
- Supportive, focused and on-task assistance
- Assistance with developing strategies for understanding concepts, solving problems, and preparing for exams
- Guidance on practice problems
All in-person tutoring appointments will be located in the SLC Main Tutoring Room (1720 Chem). Please arrive a few minutes before the start of your session to check in and meet your tutor.
About 5 minutes before the start of your scheduled appointment, the SLC tutor you are meeting with will send you an email containing a Zoom link (please note this will come to your umich email).