The Science Learning Center (SLC) provides appointment-based, small group tutoring for select groups of eligible students (detailed further below).
Appointment-based peer tutoring has moved online for the Fall 2020 term using a system called GoBoard. Tutor appointments should continue to be scheduled using WC Online.
Which courses are supported by Appointment-Based Peer Tutoring?
- Biology 171, 172, 222, 225, 305, and MCDB 310
- Chemistry 130, 210, 215, 230, 260/261, and 351
- Physics 135, 140, 235, and 240
How do I set up an appointment?
If you meet the above criteria, please do the following to obtain a tutoring appointment:
If you cannot access the WC Online scheduling system, please email slctutoring @umich.edu for assistance in activating your account.
If you cannot find a tutor appointment that works for you on the current schedule, please email email@example.com. We will ask our tutors to see if someone can open a day and time that works with your schedule.
Due to the limited availability of appointments, peer tutors often work with two students per session.
Please note that appointments cancelled with less than 12 hours notice or students who are more than 15 minutes late will be marked as "no-shows." Students who are marked as a "no-show" two or more times during the same semester will be asked to meet with a Program Manager before they are permitted to continue meeting with a tutor.
What do tutors provide?
- Supportive, focused and on-task assistance
- Assistance with developing strategies for understanding concepts, solving problems, and preparing for exams
- Guidance on homework problems
How to use GoBoard
About 5 minutes before the start of your scheduled appointment, the SLC tutor you are meeting with will send you an email containing the link to access GoBoard (please note this will come to your umich email). We suggest you get on GoBoard a few minutes before the start of your session to make sure your microphone and video are enabled.
- Use Chrome internet browser when accessing GoBoard.
- You can use GoBoard on an iPad app or on a web browser (use updated Chrome for the web browser). Do not use GoBoard on your cell phone.
- Each GoBoard session is video recorded, this video recording is used only for SLC monitoring. The Tutor Program Manager will occasionally watch the videos as a way to provide feedback to tutors. Videos will NOT be used for other purposes.
- You will be emailed a PDF of your session at the end of each session.
- The day after your tutor session, you will be sent a survey.
- If you have questions or issues using GoBoard you can email firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
You can learn more about how to use GoBoard by visiting GoBoard's website. Scroll about halfway down and there are instructional videos for how to use the system.
During Fall/Winter/Spring terms, who qualifies for Appointment-Based Peer Tutoring?
Students enrolled in the above courses who are in one of the following groups:
- Comprehensive Studies Program (CSP)
- HAIL Scholars
- Douglass Houghton Scholars Program (DHSP)
- Transfer students
- Students registered with Services for Students with Disabilities (SSD)
- Students on Academic Probation
- Kessler Scholars
- Office of Multicultural Initiatives (OAMI)
NOTE: If you do not qualify for Appointment-Based tutoring, you may utilize SLC's Drop-In Peer Tutoring for some courses.