The Science Learning Center (SLC) provides appointment-based, small group tutoring for select groups of eligible students (detailed further below).
Which courses are supported by Appointment-Based Peer Tutoring?
- Biology 171, 172, 222, 225, 305, and MCDB 310
- Chemistry 130, 210, 215, 230, 260/261, and 351
- Physics 135, 140, 235, and 240
During Fall/Winter/Spring terms, who qualifies for Appointment-Based Peer Tutoring?
Students enrolled in the above courses who are in one of the following groups:
- Comprehensive Studies Program (CSP)
- HAIL Scholars
- Douglass Houghton Scholars Program (DHSP)
- Transfer students
- Students registered with Services for Students with Disabilities (SSD)
- Students on Academic Probation
- Kessler Scholars
NOTE: If you do not qualify for Appointment-Based tutoring, you may utilize SLC's Drop-In Peer Tutoring for some courses.
How do I set up an appointment?
During Fall, Winter and Spring terms, if you meet the above criteria, please do the following to obtain a tutoring appointment:
For Summer term, we do not have online scheduling. If you qualify for appointment-based tutoring, you can schedule tutoring sessions by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org, and we will connect you with a tutor.
Due to the limited availability of appointments, peer tutors often work with two students per session.
Please note that appointments cancelled with less than 12 hours notice or students who are more than 15 minutes late will be marked as "no-shows." Students who are marked as a "no-show" two or more times during the same semester will be asked to meet with a Program Manager before they are permitted to continue meeting with a tutor.
What do tutors provide?
- Supportive, focused and on-task assistance
- Assistance with developing strategies for understanding concepts, solving problems, and preparing for exams
- Guidance on homework problems