The Science Learning Center (SLC) provides appointment-based, small group tutoring for select groups of eligible students (detailed further below).
Appointment-Based peer tutoring has in-person and online options. Tutor appointments are scheduled using WC Online.
Which courses are supported by Appointment-Based Peer Tutoring?
- Biology 171, 172, 225, 305
- MCDB 310, 322
- Chemistry 130, 210, 215, 230, 260/261, 351
- Physics 140, 150, 240, 250
During Fall/Winter/Spring terms, who qualifies for Appointment-Based Peer Tutoring?
Students enrolled in the above courses who are in one of the following groups:
- Comprehensive Studies Program (CSP)
- HAIL Scholars
- Douglass Houghton Scholars Program (DHSP)
- Transfer students
- Students registered with Services for Students with Disabilities (SSD)
- Students on Academic Probation
- Kessler Scholars
- Office of Academic Multicultural Initiatives (OAMI) SuccessConnects
- Women in Science and Engineering Residential Program (WISE-RP)
- Health Science Scholars Program (HSSP)
- Michigan Research and Discovery Scholars (MRADS)
NOTE: If you do not qualify for Appointment-Based tutoring, you may utilize SLC's Drop-In Peer Tutoring for some courses.
How do I set up an appointment?
If you cannot access the WC Online scheduling system, please email slctutoring @umich.edu for assistance in activating your account.
Please note that appointments cancelled with less than 12 hours notice or students who are more than 15 minutes late will be marked as "no-shows." Students who are marked as a "no-show" two or more times during the same semester will be asked to meet with a Program Manager before they are permitted to continue meeting with a tutor.
What do tutors provide?
- Supportive, focused and on-task assistance
- Assistance with developing strategies for understanding concepts, solving problems, and preparing for exams
- Guidance on homework problems
All in-person tutoring appointments will be located in the SLC Main Tutoring Room (1720 Chem). Please arrive a few minutes before the start of your session to check in and meet your tutor.
Online Appointments - How to use GoBoard
About 5 minutes before the start of your scheduled appointment, the SLC tutor you are meeting with will send you an email containing the link to access GoBoard (please note this will come to your umich email). We suggest you get on GoBoard a few minutes before the start of your session to make sure your microphone and video are enabled.
- Use Chrome internet browser when accessing GoBoard.
- You can use GoBoard on an iPad app or on a web browser (use updated Chrome for the web browser). Do not use GoBoard on your cell phone.
- Each GoBoard session is video recorded, this video recording is used only for SLC monitoring. The Tutoring Program Manager will occasionally watch the videos as a way to provide feedback to tutors. Videos will NOT be used for other purposes.
- You will be emailed a PDF of your session at the end of each session.
- The day after your tutor session, you will be sent a survey.
- If you have questions or issues using GoBoard you can email firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
You can learn more about how to use GoBoard by visiting GoBoard's website. Scroll about halfway down and there are instructional videos for how to use the system.