The Science Learning Center (SLC) provides appointment-based, small group tutoring for select groups of eligible students (detailed further below).
Which courses are supported by Appointment-Based Peer Tutoring?
- Biology 171, 172, 225, 305, and MCDB 310
- Chemistry 130, 210, 215, 230, 260/261, and 351
- Physics 135, 140, 235, and 240
Who qualifies for Appointment-Based Peer Tutoring?
Students enrolled in the above courses who are in one of the following groups:
- Comprehensive Studies Program (CSP)
- Douglass Houghton Scholars Program (DHSP)
- Transfer students
- Students registered with Services for Students with Disabilities (SSD)
- Students on Academic Probation
- Kessler Scholars
During Fall, Winter and Spring terms, if you meet the above criteria, please do the following to obtain a tutoring appointment:
1. Register for an SLC study group or join the waitlist for the relevant course by clicking here. Registration for these groups is open all semester.
2. Once you have joined a study group, you can then schedule appointment-based tutoring online here.
*Students may also qualify due to special academic circumstances, including but not limited to students on academic probation.
NOTE: If you do not qualify for Appointment-Based tutoring, you may utilize SLC's Drop-In Peer Tutoring for some courses.
Due to the limited availability of appointments, peer tutors often work with two students per session.
- Supportive, focused and on-task assistance
- Assistance with developing strategies for understanding concepts, solving problems, and preparing for exams
- Guidance on homework problems
- "John J. works hard to ensure that whoever is under his tutelage receives the most help as possible. He personally offered to model his Chemistry problems after my primary career interest, rocket science, which is basically aerospace propulsion engineering."
- "Lizzy does a really good job at breaking things down into simpler terms. Even if I felt confident I knew something she would challenge that knowledge in a way that showed me I could never know too much. Amazing and caring person!"
- "My sessions with Casey are extremely helpful. She explains the concepts very well. I also tried her tips for studying and received a higher score on my exam."