- Sociology Major
- Law, Justice, and Social Change Minor & Sub-major
- Sociology of Health and Medicine Minor & Sub-major
- Sociology & Social Work Sub-major
- Major of the Month
- What can I do with a Sociology degree?
- Declaring & Advising
- Academic & Registration Policies
- Curriculum Resources
- Project Community
- Sociology Undergraduate Research Opportunity
- Senior Thesis + Honors Program
- Transfer Credit
- Study Abroad
- Funding Resources
- Writing Awards
- Releases & Graduation
The Sociology Undergraduate Office is comprised of a dedicated student services team, including the Director of Undergraduate Studies, Undergraduate Program Coordinator & Major/Minor Advisor, Program Assistant, and graduate student interns. Click on the drop-down sections below for information on undergraduate advising in Sociology. If you are unable to find an answer to your question, please email us firstname.lastname@example.org. We look forward to connecting and supporting you!
Major/Minor Advising Options & Resources
Declaring in Sociology
1. Students must complete a prerequisite course in Sociology with a C- grade or better to declare a major or minor.
The following courses are eligible to fulfill this requirement: SOC 100, 102, 300, or 302. Make sure you’ve completed one of these courses with the final grade posted before reaching out to declare.
Note that students should only take ONE prerequisite course (SOC 100, 102, 300, or 302); no credit will be granted for the second prerequisite course taken (the second course will have a “Not For Credit” designation on the transcript).
2. Carefully review requirements and
opportunities on this website.
The Sociology major, sub-majors, and minors each have a webpage with requirements outlined and comprehensive information sheets linked:
- Sociology Major
- Sociology Major with sub-major in Law, Justice, and Social Change
- Sociology Major with sub-major in Sociology of Health & Medicine
- Sociology Major with sub-major in Sociology & Social Work
- Minor in Law, Justice, and Social Change
- Minor in Sociology of Health & Medicine
3. Email us at email@example.com with your specific major or minor declaration request or schedule an appointment.
If you would like to add the major, let us know whether or not you would like to add a sub-major.
If you would like to add a minor, you must have a major declared first.
If you need to take courses reserved for majors like SOC 305 and SOC 310, please plan ahead with the timing of your request.
4. We will confirm receipt of your declaration request and declare you within a week.
You will receive a welcome email and be added to our newsletter. Also double check Wolverine Access for your program change update.
Advising via Email
Sneha or Kym will respond to your advising questions within 24-48 hours during business days via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Check Your LSA Audit Checklist
The My LSA Audit Checklist is an easy-to-read degree progress audit. Check your audit regularly to make sure courses are populating correctly under requirement groups. It is important to make sure the audit is accurately reflecting your major/minor and degree completion progress.
Major & Minor Releases
The department release is a required step for graduation. If you would like to request for a major or minor release, please fill out either a MAJOR Release Request or MINOR Release Request form, preferably in the term prior to your graduation term.
Upon submission, the department advisor will verify your remaining requirements and submit a release. You will receive an email copy of the release. If there are any concerns or questions, we will reach out to you.
Scheduled Advising Appointments
Schedule a Zoom appointment with Sneha or a graduate advising intern to discuss your major/minor progress, program requirements, course planning, transfer/study abroad credits, and department opportunities. New appointments are added on Wednesdays! If you prefer to meet in-person, please contact us directly.
If you have questions regarding your LSA distribution requirements, college policies, or your overall academic standing, you should contact your general academic advisor (LSA Newnan, RC, CSP, Honors). For graduate school and career advising, please connect with the LSA Opportunity Hub or Career Center.
Explore Department Opportunities
Let us know if you have questions about any of these opportunities!
To pick up your major t-shirt or minor swag, email us at email@example.com to arrange for a pick-up time!