- Sociology Major
- Law, Justice, and Social Change
- Sociology of Health & Medicine
- Sociology & Social Work
- Major of the Month
- What can I do with a Sociology degree?
- Academic Policies and Processes
- Curriculum and Courses
- Project Community
- Sociology Undergraduate Research Opportunity - SOC 394
- Honors Program
- Transfer Students and Transfer Credit
- Study Abroad
- Financial Aid Resources
- Writing Awards
Click on the drop-down sections below for information on undergraduate advising in Sociology. If you are unable to find an answer to your question, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. We look forward to connecting with you!
COVID-19: To keep our campus community safe, the Sociology Department is providing advising services via email discussions and virtual appointments. If you have major or minor related questions, please email email@example.com or schedule an appointment using the link below. Don't forget about resources and procedural information posted right here on our website – explore the sections below and sub-pages on the left menu!
Major/Minor Advising Options & Resources
Declaring in Sociology
1. Students must complete a prerequisite course in Sociology with a C- grade or better to declare a major or minor.
The following courses are eligible to fulfill this requirement: SOC 100, 102, 300, or 302. Make sure you’ve completed one of these courses with the final grade posted before reaching out to declare.
Note that students should only take ONE prerequisite course (SOC 100, 102, 300, or 302); no credit will be granted for the second prerequisite course taken (the second course will have a “Not For Credit” designation on the transcript).
2. Carefully review requirements and
opportunities on this website.
The Sociology major, sub-plans, and minors each have a webpage with requirements outlined and comprehensive information sheets linked:
- Sociology Major
- Sociology Major with sub-plan in Law, Justice, and Social Change
- Sociology Major with sub-plan in Sociology of Health & Medicine
- Sociology Major with sub-plan in Sociology & Social Work
- Minor in Law, Justice, and Social Change
- Minor in Sociology of Health & Medicine
3. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with your specific major or minor declaration request.
If you would like to add the major, let us know whether or not you would like to add a sub-plan.
If you need to take courses reserved for majors like SOC 305 and SOC 310, please plan ahead with the timing of your request.
4. We will confirm receipt of your declaration request by email and declare you within a week.
Check Wolverine Access for your program change update.
Advising via Email
The undergraduate program staff will respond to your advising questions within 24-48 hours during business days via email at email@example.com.
Check Your LSA Audit Checklist
The My LSA Audit Checklist is an easy-to-read degree progress audit. Check your audit regularly to make sure courses are populating correctly under requirement groups. It is important to make sure the audit is accurately reflecting your major/minor and degree completion progress.
Major & Minor Releases
The department release is a required step for graduation. If you would like to request for a major or minor release, please fill out either a MAJOR Release Request or MINOR Release Request form, preferably in the term prior to your graduation term.
Upon submission, the department advisor will verify your remaining requirements and submit a release. You will receive an email copy of the release. If there are any concerns or questions, we will reach out to you.
Scheduled Advising Appointments
Schedule a phone call with a department advisor to discuss your major/minor progress, program requirements, course planning, transfer/study abroad credits, or department opportunities. New appointments are added on Wednesdays!
If you have questions regarding your LSA distribution requirements, college policies, or your overall academic standing, you should contact your general academic advisor (LSA Newnan, RC, CSP, Honors). For graduate school and career advising, please connect with the LSA Opportunity Hub or Career Center.