- Sociology Major
- Law, Justice, and Social Change
- Sociology of Health & Medicine
- SHM Submajor
- SHM Minor
- Sociology & Social Work
- Major of the Month
- What can I do with a Sociology degree?
- Academic Policies and Processes
- Curriculum and Courses
- Project Community
- Sociology Undergraduate Research Opportunity - SOC 394
- Honors Program
- Sociology Opportunities for Undergraduate Leaders (SOUL)
- Transfer Students and Transfer Credit
- Study Abroad
- Financial Aid Resources
- Writing Awards
SHM Minor Requirements
Prerequisite to Declare Minor
Before declaring the minor in Sociology of Health & Medicine, students must complete a pre-requisite course with a C- or better. The credits from the prerequisite course cannot be included in the 15 credits required to complete the minor.
- First and second year students should enroll in either SOC 100 Introduction to Sociology or SOC 102 Introduction to Sociology: Special Topics
- Third and fourth year students should enroll in either SOC 300 Sociological Principles and Problems or SOC 302 Health and Society: An Introduction to Sociology
Note that students should only take ONE prerequisite course (SOC 100, 102, 300, or 302); no credit will be granted for the second prerequisite course taken (the second course will have a “Not For Credit” designation on the transcript).
Students must complete at least 15 total credit hours with a C- or better from the following list of approved courses.
- A minimum of 9 credits of which must be elected in the SHM minor at the 300-level or above (excluding prerequisite)
Approved SHM Minor Courses:
- SOC 207: Sociology of Suffering
- SOC 225: Project Community- Public Health section
- SOC 230: Health & Population in South Africa
- SOC 325: Project Community: Advanced Practicum - Public Health section
- SOC 330: Population Problems
- SOC 345: Sociology of Sexuality
- SOC 346: Sociology of the Body
- SOC 430: World Population Dynamics
- SOC 445: Diagnosis, Sex, & Society
- SOC 465: Sociology of Deviance: From Sin to Sickness
- SOC 474: Social Inequalities in Health
- SOC 475: Health, Medicine, & Society
- SOC 476: Sociology of Bioethics
- SOC 477: Death & Dying
- Appropriate topics in SOC 295, 495, 394 (SURO), 395 (Independent Study), 396 (Internship)
Explore the LSA Course Guide > Subject > LSA: Sociology for course descriptions.
Policies & Credit Limits
A maximum of 6 credits for the SHM minor may come from Experiential Learning or Independent Study style courses. This includes but is not limited to SOC 225, 394, 395, 468, and 396.
The department will allow up to one course with significant sociological content related to Sociology of Health & Medicine from other LSA departments to be included in the minor plan. Students interested in petitioning to include a non-SOC course in their minor plan should complete the course petition process, which includes submitting a petition form and the course syllabus.
Up to 6 approved transfer credits may count in the minor.
You must declare a major first before adding a minor.
I have questions about the SHM minor
If you have questions about your SHM minor requirements or progress, schedule an advising appointment or email email@example.com. View department advising and declaration information here.
If you have questions about your LSA or distribution requirements, your should contact your general advisor (LSA, RC, CSP, Honors).
Use the My LSA Audit Checklist tool to get a snapshot of your degree progress.