- Academic Policies and Processes
- Curriculum and Courses
- Financial Aid Resources
- Honors Program
- Law, Justice, and Social Change
- Major of the Month
- Project Community
- Sociology of Health & Medicine
- Sociology Major
- Sociology Opportunities for Undergraduate Leadership (SOUL)
- Student Organizations
- Sociology Undergraduate Research Opportunity - SOC 394
- Transfer Credit & Study Abroad
- What can I do with a Sociology degree?
- Writing Awards
LJSC Subplan or Minor
Students have the opportunity to pursue either a Law, Justice, and Social Change subplan within the major or a Law, Justice, and Social Change minor.
- The LJSC subplan is an optional part of the Sociology major.
- The LJSC minor is a stand-alone academic minor.
Please Note: Students are not permitted to major in Sociology and minor in LJSC. A student majoring in Sociology who is interested in LJSC should pursue the LJSC subplan.
What is LJSC?
The Law, Justice, and Social Change program offers students a coherent curriculum that emphasizes the relationship between legal institutions, inequality, and the capacity of social groups to produce fundamental social change.
Law, Justice, and Social Change will offer students:
- An understanding of theoretical perspectives on justice and on the connection between law and society
- Frameworks for thinking about legal compliance, deviance, and resistance
- Perspectives for thinking about the relationship between “law on the books” and “law in action”
- Tools for thinking about the relationship between law and social change
- Understandings of the law in international contexts and in regard to human rights issues
- The foundation of theory, methods, and substantive knowledge necessary to develop informed perspectives on criminality, crime policy, and the social consequences of legal punishment
- Tools for understanding the role of social policies in creating and ameliorating inequality
For students interested in the following career paths:
- public policy
- criminal justice
- social work
- grassroots social change