Academic Advising & Personalized Counseling
Each CSP student has an assigned advisor with whom s/he meets on a regular basis. Together, they explore the student's interests, aptitudes, needs, academic goals, and career objectives. They then develop an individualized program to promote general intellectual growth as well as entry into their field of concentration. Advisors also provide advice on a wide range of practical and personal matters.
- CSP advising works to increase retention and promote academic excellence among students admitted to the CSP program. This is accomplished through a system that offers orientation to the university community, personalized advising and counseling, mentoring, instruction, and academic support.
- CSP Academic Advisors develop close working relationships with students including our recommendations for first and second year students to visit their advisors 3-4 times per term, and for upperclassmen to visit their advisors 1-2 times per term.
- CSP Academic Advisors monitor student progress via our Mid-Term Estimate and Student Progress Reporting systems.
- CSP Advising offers Pre-professional Peer Advising in business.
- CSP Academic Advisors also offer specialized academic workshops, group advising programs, and outreach to student groups.
Business School: Pre-Business Peer Counselors
Questions about the B-school or the application process?
Pre-Business Peer Counselors
A list of days and times can be found here.
Hours and Appointments
CSP Advising appointment hours are 9 am - 11:30am and 1pm - 4pm. Advisors generally offer 30 or 45 minute appointments.
Schedule online quickly and easily by using the “Schedule an Advising Appointment” link above.
The CSP Office is open Monday – Friday from 8 am - 5 pm, and you may also call us (734 764-9128) to schedule an appointment.
Please check in at the front desk when you arrive for your appointment.
CSP holds walk-in appointments most afternoons from 1pm – 3:30 pm. Walk-ins are 15 minute first come-first served appointments for quick consultations or timely questions. No appointment needed—just check in at the front desk when you arrive. It’s a good idea to call CSP to make sure we are holding walk-ins on the day you wish to come.
CSP Financial Aid Advising
CSP has financial aid advisors available on the following days for fall & winter semesters:
Tuesdays 9:00AM - 4:30PM (Walk-ins)
1139 Angell Hall - 734 764-9128
OFA phone number - 734 763-6600
If Tuesdays are not accommodating, you may reach the Office of Financial Aid directly for a better time at: http://finaid.umich.edu/contact-us/
For more information regarding financial aid, including Summer Bridge funding, visit the following link.
How often should you see your CSP Advisor?
First-year students 3-4 sessions per term for:
Understanding LSA requirements
First-Year Interest Groups
Sophomores 3-4 sessions per term for:
Beginning to choose a major
Update on Distribution progress
Juniors and Seniors 1-2 sessions per term for:
Progress towards declaring a major
Study Abroad coursework
Final degree requirements
*Note: Students may discuss their major with an academic advisor. However, students will need to make an appointment to see a major advisor to officially:
- Have a senior audit
- Obtain the most accurate information or course approval concerning their field of study.
Top 10 Reasons to Visit Your Academic Advisor
1. Choosing Future Courses
2. Academic Progress
3. Request a Tutor
4. Distribution Progress
5. Choosing Your Major/minor
6. Graduate School
7. Career Planning
8. Letter of Recommendation
9. First-Year Interest Groups
10. Motivation and Support