As a CSP student, you will be assigned an advisor who will engage you in exploring and discovering various opportunities, resources and paths with the goal of assisting you in reaching your academic, social, career, personal objectives. Our Advisors will help you visualize, instrumentalize and execute an individualized track which will be best suited for you. If at any time you need some advice or someone to talk to, we have got you covered. CSP advisors are specifically trained to approach advising holistically and will be more than willing to help you work through a personal situation as well.
Hours & Appointment Scheduling
CSP Advising appointment hours are from 9 AM to 11:30 AM and 1 PM to 4 PM (1139AH). Advisors generally offer 30 or 45 minute appointments.
There are two ways you can schedule an appointment:
2) Schedule an appointment by calling the CSP office: You can call the CSP office at (734) 764-9128 during our business hours which are from 8 AM - 5 PM.
Please check in at the front desk when you arrive for your appointment.
CSP holds walk-in appointments most afternoons from 1 PM to 3:30 PM (1139AH). Walk-ins are 15 minute first come-first served appointments for quick consultations or timely questions. No appointment needed—just check in at the front desk when you arrive. It’s a good idea to call CSP to make sure we are holding walk-ins on the day you wish to come.
Top 10 Reasons to Visit your Academic Advisor
- Choosing Future Courses
- Academic Progress
- Request a Tutor
- Distribution Progress
- Choosing Your Major/minor
- Graduate School
- Career Planning
- Letter of Recommendation
- First-Year Interest Groups
- Motivation and Support
Guide to Meeting with your Advisor
First-year students 3-4 sessions per term for:
Understanding LSA requirements
First-Year Interest Groups
Sophomores 3-4 sessions per term for:
Beginning to choose a major
Update on Distribution progress
Juniors and Seniors 1-2 sessions per term for:
Progress towards declaring a major
Study Abroad coursework
Final degree requirements
*Note: Students may discuss their major with an academic advisor. However, students will need to make an appointment to see a major advisor to officially:
- Have a senior audit
- Obtain the most accurate information or course approval concerning their field of study.
What Makes CSP Academic Advisors Different?
- CSP advising works to increase retention and promote academic excellence among students admitted to the CSP program. This is accomplished through a system that offers orientation to the university community, personalized advising and counseling, mentoring, instruction, and academic support.
- CSP Academic Advisors develop close working relationships with students including our recommendations for first and second year students to visit their advisors 3-4 times per term, and for upperclassmen to visit their advisors 1-2 times per term.
- CSP Academic Advisors monitor student progress via our Mid-Term Estimate and Student Progress Reporting systems.
- CSP Advising offers Pre-professional Peer Advising in business.
- CSP Academic Advisors also offer specialized academic workshops, group advising programs, and outreach to student groups.
Financial Aid Advising
CSP has financial aid advisors available on the following days for Fall, Winter and Spring/Summer semesters:
Tuesdays 9 AM - 4:30 PM (1139AH)
OFA phone number - 734 763-6600
If Tuesdays are not accommodating, you may reach the Office of Financial Aid directly for a better time at: http://finaid.umich.edu/contact-us/