As a CSP student, you will be assigned an advisor who will engage you in exploring and discovering various opportunities, resources and paths with the goal of assisting you in reaching your academic, social, career, personal objectives. Our Advisors will help you visualize, instrumentalize and execute an individualized track which will be best suited for you. If at any time you need some advice or someone to talk to, we have got you covered. CSP advisors are specifically trained to approach advising holistically and will be more than willing to help you work through a personal situation as well.
Winter 2021 Hours of Operation
*The CSP main office is closed for the Winter 2021 semester.
Virtual Main Office
Our virtual main office provides U-M faculty, staff and students with a connection to our front desk staff via Zoom. Using one of the access methods below will take you to a Zoom waiting room where a member of our team can provide assistance on a first-come, first-served basis. The hours of operation for this virtual resource are Monday through Friday from 9:00 am to 4:00 pm.
Meeting ID: 967 5165 7733
Dial-in: +1 312 626-6799
All CSP academic advising appointments continue to be delivered remotely via Zoom or phone. Students can schedule an appointment using one of the following methods:
- Use the self-service online appointment scheduling tool.
- Connect with our front desk staff via the virtual main office (Zoom) during M-F, 9am - 4pm
- Call our CSP front desk at (734) 764-9128 during M-F, 9am - 5pm
Drop-in Advising Appointments
Virtual drop-in appointments are available via Zoom on weekday afternoons from 1:00 pm to 3:40 pm with a CSP academic advisor. Students can request a drop-in appointment using the virtual main office during the drop-in advising times.
Drop-in appointments are for quick questions or timely matters in which any CSP advisor can assist (such as requesting a tutor). You should make an appointment with your assigned advisor (via the online appointment scheduling tool) if your subject is more in-depth, such as deciding your major, success strategizing, etc.
Drop-ins are first-come, first-served. They are scheduled in 20 minute intervals but can vary depending on questions presented. After you schedule your appointment, you will receive an email with instructions for joining the drop-in advising waiting room. You may join the meeting any time after you receive the Zoom link. The drop-in advisor will do their best to make your wait time as reasonable as possible.
Top 10 Reasons to Visit your Academic Advisor
- Choosing Future Courses
- Academic Progress
- Request a Tutor
- Distribution Progress
- Choosing Your Major/minor
- Graduate School
- Career Planning
- Letter of Recommendation
- First-Year Interest Groups
- Motivation and Support
Guide to Meeting with your Advisor
First-year students 3-4 sessions per term for:
Understanding LSA requirements
First-Year Interest Groups
Sophomores 3-4 sessions per term for:
Beginning to choose a major
Update on Distribution progress
Juniors and Seniors 1-2 sessions per term for:
Progress towards declaring a major
Study Abroad coursework
Final degree requirements
*Note: Students may discuss their major with an academic advisor. However, students will need to make an appointment to see a major advisor to officially:
- Have a senior audit
- Obtain the most accurate information or course approval concerning their field of study.
What Makes CSP Academic Advisors Different?
- CSP advising works to increase retention and promote academic excellence among students admitted to the CSP program. This is accomplished through a system that offers orientation to the university community, personalized advising and counseling, mentoring, instruction, and academic support.
- CSP Academic Advisors develop close working relationships with students including our recommendations for first and second year students to visit their advisors 3-4 times per term, and for upperclassmen to visit their advisors 1-2 times per term.
- CSP Academic Advisors monitor student progress via our Mid-Term Estimate and Student Progress Reporting systems.
- CSP Advising offers Pre-professional Peer Advising in business.
- CSP Academic Advisors also offer specialized academic workshops, group advising programs, and outreach to student groups.
Financial Aid Advising
Students needing financial aid advising should contact the Office of Financial Aid Outreach Unit at: