- Sociology Major
- Law, Justice, and Social Change
- Sociology of Health & Medicine
- Sociology & Social Work
- Major of the Month
- What can I do with a Sociology degree?
- Curriculum and Courses
- Project Community
- Sociology Undergraduate Research Opportunity - SOC 394
- Honors Program
- Sociology Opportunities for Undergraduate Leaders (SOUL)
- Academic Policies and Processes
- Transfer Students and Transfer Credit
- Study Abroad
- Financial Aid Resources
- Writing Awards
If you are a first-semester senior (or two semesters away from degree completion), it is time to initiate graduation procedures to ensure you complete all requirements by your intended graduation date.
See below (expand the Graduation Procedures drop-down section) for a complete overview of administrative procedures required for your graduation and the department ceremony:
1. Apply for Graduation
All graduating students must apply for graduation online. To apply for graduation, go to Wolverine Access > Student Center > My Academics > Apply for Graduation and follow the prompts. If you experience difficulty in the online application process or if you need to change your date of graduation, email the auditors at firstname.lastname@example.org.
You must apply for graduation before the stated deadlines in order for your name to appear in the University Commencement program and to receive an invitation to the Sociology Graduation Reception. If you are planning to graduate in December, you must apply by October 15 to assure your name will appear in the program. If you are planning a May or August graduation date the deadline is February 15. You can still graduate if you apply after these deadlines, but your name will not appear in the University's Commencement program.
2. Schedule an Advising Appointment and Get Your Major/Minor Release(s): A major/minor release appointment is a meeting with a department's advisor to review your progress and confirm you're ready to graduate. A release is required for each LSA major and minor you have declared. Ideally, your release appointment should be scheduled the term prior to graduation (prior to registration for your final term). Make an appointment here or email email@example.com.
3. Review Your Official Degree Audit
Your Official Degree Audit will be triggered upon submission of all releases and your online application to graduate. It is initiated automatically. The LSA auditors review your LSA and distribution requirements, total credits, GPA, and rely on the major/minor releases to audit major/minor requirements. You will receive your Official Degree Audit via your UMich email. The email you receive is an official University document—read it carefully. Direct any questions to a general LSA advisor.
Your official degree audit should be complete before you register for your final semester. This way, you know exactly what the requirements are left to fulfil before a degree is conferred and you still have time to make any necessary schedule changes.
4. Sociology Majors Only - RSVP for the Sociology Graduation Reception (CANCELLED)
Graduating students who have applied to graduate online and submitted their major release will receive an invitation to the Sociology Graduation Reception in March. Remember to RSVP and submit your information for the graduating seniors slideshow.
Sociology Graduation Reception
The Department of Sociology recognizes the importance of graduation for students and families. Each spring, the department hosts a reception for graduating Sociology majors. The reception is historically in an on-campus building on the afternoon before University Commencement. Graduating seniors (including December graduates from the previous calendar year) will receive detailed information about the event in the winter term.
2019-2020 Sociology Graduation Reception (CANCELLED)
Friday, May 1st
Scheduled 45-minute ceremony starts at 3:30pm prompt
Michigan Union - Rogel Ballroom
Students must RSVP via the e-vite sent out in the first week of March. Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions or concerns!
NOTE: In accordance with bans on large gatherings and public events, we have made the difficult decision to cancel the 2020 Sociology Graduation Reception.