The mission of the WISE RP is to recruit, support, and retain a diverse population of students in the science, mathematics, engineering, and technology fields; to link students with resources and opportunities that will support their academic and personal pursuits; to develop relationships among students with similar interests while building a community based on mutual respect and affirmation of diversity; and to enhance students’ undergraduate experiences by providing engaging cultural and educational opportunities.
About Our Community
- The students in Science and Engineering Residential Program (WISE RP) is one of the Michigan Living-Learning Communities
- WISE RP participants live together on two floors of Mosher-Jordan Residence Hall. The community consists of approximately 130-150 students.
- All students have access to peer-facilitated study groups that are offered for most of the introductory level math and science courses, which meet in Mosher-Jordan.
- WISE RP includes a curricular aspect through mandatory one credit semester courses: ALA 107/108
- Through the Passport to Success program, the WISE RP leadership team will implement workshops, speakers and panels, and critical conversations that elevate and enhance student learning in a living & learning environment.
- Guided by the Passport to Success Program, resident advisors and peer mentors plan social, community, cultural, and academic related activities each semester.
- Every first-year student is paired with a second-year student within the program who will serve as their Peer Mentor by introducing them to campus and offering support and resources throughout the year
- WISE RP strives to support the academic pursuits of its students and to build a supportive social community in which students can make lifelong friendships.
- The WISE RP students are admitted to colleges across campus including Engineering, LSA, Nursing and Kinesiology, with concentrations in all areas of engineering and science as well as pre-health fields.
As a community, the WISE RP endeavors to be an exemplar for other STEM living and learning communities (LLCs). The WISE-RP serves as a catalyst for transformation! It is a space that affirms and celebrates difference, and empowers change agents. The WISE RP team works to ensure community members leave the experience with increased self-efficacy, enhanced leadership skills, and a greater sense of how they hope to make an impact on their respective fields of study.