Dear WISE RP Alumni and Friends,
Greetings from WISE RP! The WISE RP community has illustrated great growth and impact over the past academic year. We consciously and safely navigate the impact of a global pandemic in-person, with resilience, grace, and creativity. Our charge as a community has been, and continues to be, to serve as an exemplar for other STEM living and learning communities (LLCs). We are committed to being a space that affirms and celebrates difference, and empowers change agents. The WISE RP team strives to ensure community members leave the experience with increased self-efficacy, enhanced leadership skills, and a greater sense of how they hope to make an impact on their respective fields of study.
Throughout the 2021-22 academic year, the WISE RP has intentionally engaged the community with both in-person and virtual touchpoints to meet the needs and comfort levels of all members. We continue to deliver curricular and co-curricular opportunities in hybrid formats, utilize multiple modalities for programming and academic learning, capitalize on our social media presence to reach current members and alumni, and curate professional development opportunities with alumni and professionals in various STEM fields.
Here’s a quick glance at our students and what we’ve been up to this academic year:
- Our 2021-22 cohort of students consists of 87 first-year students, 29 sophomores who serve as Peer Mentors, and 4 Resident Advisors.
- We have held 3 successful WISE Nights this academic year, featuring UM faculty and alumni. WISE Nights are an opportunity for the WISE RP community to engage with women-identified STEM professionals and learn about how they’ve crafted their STEM journeys. We are proud of the elevation of intersectional identities as we centered on current student alumni, Indigenous women in STEM, and Latinx women in STEM.
- We have continued cultivating our partnership with the campus WISE program and the Office of Culture, Community, and Equity within the College of Engineering. Through this collaboration, we have co-sponsored a WISE Night and conceptualized several initiatives for the 2022-23 academic year to support students in STEM.
- We successfully hosted our second virtual Alumni Weekend this past February 2022. Four dynamic alumni of the WISE RP returned to discuss their experiences as UM and WISE RP alumni and their career paths.
- For the 2022-23 academic year, WISE RP, for the first time in its history, will accept transfer students in the community! We are excited to welcome and support students from this sub-community at the university and look forward to fully integrating them into the WISE RP experience keeping in mind critical touchpoints that are applicable to the transfer student demographic.
How can you help our WISE RP students?
Victors of the WISE RP will support students as they pursue internships, summer research fellowships, and career exploration opportunities in various STEM fields. Every summer we seek to assist 4-6 WISE RP students with summer research/internship positions. This year, we hope to double this number! For the past two summers, these experiences have occurred virtually. However, most research on campus has resumed in-person formats thus allowing the 2022 cohort of summer scholars to occur in person. Summer research and internship opportunities allow WISE RP members the chance to develop valuable research/work experience and build their skills and efficacy in a STEM field. Each $4,000 stipend allows them to be paid for their work and offset living expenses during the summer. Any amount you can donate will help us fund students for this important experience. To give, please visit our Giving page.
Thank you for your support of the Women in Science and Engineering Residence Program.