Skip to Content

Search: {{$root.lsaSearchQuery.q}}, Page {{$}}

Student Funding

Funding Opportunitites

Declared Graduate Certificate Students

Funding is available for all declared Judaic Studies Graduate Certificate students as outlined in the following three categories.

1) Graduate Students who are recruited to PhD granting departments are eligible for the Todd M. Endelman and Zvi Y. Gitelman fellowships. These fellowships provide five-year funding packages to incoming PhD students and require the completion of the Judaic Studies Gradate Certificate. The fellowships provide funding for tuition, stipend, and grad care benefits in years one, four, and five from Judaic Studies and graduate student instructor (GSI) support in years two and three from the PhD awarding unit. In addition, a $1,000 fellowship is offered in years one through five and $6,000 of summer research funding is provided in years one through four from Judaic Studies.  Fellowship recipients in years one through four are also eligible to apply for conference attendance capped at $1,000 per academic year for either domestic or international requests.

2) Graduate Certificate students not funded through the Todd M. Endelman and Zvi Y. Gitelman Fellowships will receive a $12,000 stipend payable in three allocations of $4,000 each per academic year.  Funding allocations will be processed, at the request of the student, during any year of the student’s Graduate Certificate studies. Students will need to provide a short description for the use of the funds in order for the Judaic Studies program to properly allocate the funds.

3) Graduate Students are eligible to apply for additional funding such as the Stanley Frankel Summer Travel Fellowship and the Marshall Weinberg Endowed Fund for up to $5,000 per request as outlined below. Please note, conference attendance requests are limited to one per term or summer with a maximum of two per academic year and are capped up to $750 per request for domestic and $1,500 per request for international. 

A. Graduate Students who have received the Todd M. Endelman and Zvi Y. Gitelman fellowships who are in their fifth year or later.

B. Graduate Certificate Students who have reached candidacy and who have exhausted the $12,000 stipends mentioned above.

Stanley Frankel Summer Travel Fellowship provides support for students traveling to Israel, Europe, or Latin America. Students pursuing dissertation research in archives or libraries, advanced language training, archaeological excavations, scholarly workshops, or social welfare and cultural reconstruction projects in communities recovering from political oppression and economic crises.

Marshall Weinberg Endowed Fund for Graduate Students provides discretionary funds to supports research and associated activities, such as materials, conference attendance, fellowships to aid completion of theses, and language study.

Declared Jewish Communal Leadership Program Students

Graduate students accepted into the Jewish Communal Leadership Program (JCLP) through the School of Social Work and who have taken at least two Judaic Studies classes are eligible to apply for funding in support of educational opportunities approved by the JCLP Director, up to $5,000 per request.

Conference attendance requests are limited to one per term or summer with a maximum of two per academic year and are capped up to $750 per request for domestic and $1,500 per request for international

Enrolled U-M Graduate Students

Weingast Family Fund

Funding is available for all University of Michigan graduate students who are receiving any grant or loan funds through the office of financial aid from the Weingast Family Fund for up to $5,000 per request. Students pursuing travel or study abroad in Israel are eligible to apply. Preference will be given to students from LSA who will be studying for semester or year-long programs. 

U-M College of LSA International Travel Policy

All U-M students traveling abroad for university-related purposes (i.e., participating in study, research, or internship programs organized or supported by LSA departments/units or for which LSA in-residence credit is granted) are bound by the College of LSA International Travel Policy

To receive funding/credit for their international experiences, students are required to:

  • Register their travel in the MCompass Travel Registry.
  • Purchase U-M’s Travel Abroad Health Insurance and upload card to MCompass.
  • Provide contact information in case of emergency on MCompass.
  • Submit a safety plan if traveling to a U-M Travel Warning/Restriction destination. Safety plans must be submitted at least 3 weeks prior to departure and MUST be approved before funding can be released.

Learn more about the requirements and find travel resources on the LSA Travel website. You can also find additional resources on Global Michigan.

Additional U-M Funding Resources

Center for the Education of Women+ offers opportunities for scholarships, emergency grants, sponsorships, fellowships, and more for a range of situations and life circumstances.

The Institute for the Humanities provides fellowships for Michigan graduate students who work on interdisciplinary projects. 

The International Institute provides generous support to graduate students for research abroad, international internships, and the study of less commonly taught languages, as well as conference travel and event funding.

Rackham Administered Funding for graduate students includes opportunities ranging from large competitive fellowships that pay tuition and stipends, to targeted grants that assist with foreign language study, dissertation research, and conference travel, to emergency grants and awards designed to help students manage student loan debt.

Rackham Graduate Student Emergency Funds are for those who encounter an emergency situation or one-time, unusual, or unforeseen expenses during their degree program.

U-M Library Funding for Students Research Guide. Search for scholarships, fellowships, and research grants to fund your U-M education.

U-M Office of Financial Aid Information for Graduate Students


For additional assistance, please contact the Student Services Coordinator,, 734-615-6097.