Students eligible for funding are required to submit an application and an itemized budget. The application includes a description of their proposal, a letter of recommendation, and an unofficial transcript.
In preparing the budget, all expenses must have a legitimate connection to the funding request.
Allowable Budget Expenses
Primary Travel Mode
- By Air: Airfare cost estimate is to be for a round-trip, advanced purchase, coach class ticket between either your hometown or Detroit and your final destination, without any stopovers in connecting cities (i.e., connecting flights are permitted; however, elongated stopovers in connecting cities are not allowed). Flights should be booked at least 14 days in advance. A maximum of two (2) pieces of luggage is allowed. Excess weight baggage charges are not reimbursable.
- By Rail: A train ticket is permissible when the cost of train fare is less that the cost of standard coach airfare or there is a valid business purpose for traveling by rail.
- By Rental Car: Car rentals within the U.S. and Canada are covered. To receive collision insurance you must rent from the university’s preferred provider (note: Loss Damage Waiver is included in the UM rate program and you should not purchase additional insurance). Car rentals from a non-UM contract company within the U.S. and Canada are also acceptable. However, collision insurance will not be covered. Car rentals abroad with any reputable company are acceptable; collision insurance abroad is an allowable expense. Gas is an allowable expense when renting a car.
- University-owned Housing
- Rental and Sublets of privately owned homes or apartments
- Airbnb and VRBO
Ground Transportation On-Site
- Program and Entrance fees
- Photocopies, scanning and digital reproduction
- Visa fees
Funding applications are reviewed on a rolling deadline at monthly Judaic Studies Executive Committee meetings. Please review the Executive Committee schedule and submit your application at least one week prior to the meeting. All funding applications for summer funding requests need to be submitted by February 22.
Disbursement of Funds
Funding will be allocated upon proof of purchase of the student’s primary travel mode (plane, train, rental car, etc.). Applicable funds will be disbursed through the Office of Financial Aid via the student’s account