Skip to Content

Search: {{$root.lsaSearchQuery.q}}, Page {{$}}

Student Funding

Funding Opportunities

Declared Degree Students

Funding is available for undergraduate students who have declared a degree in Judaic Studies or who have taken at least three Judaic Studies classes. These students are eligible to apply for the Stanley Frankel Summer Travel Fellowship for up to $5,000 per request.

  • Stanley Frankel Summer Travel Fellowship provides support for students traveling to Israel, Europe, or Latin America. This supports students pursuing theses research in archives or libraries, advanced language training, archaeological excavations, scholarly workshops, or social welfare and cultural reconstruction projects in communities recovering from political oppression and economic crises.

Declared majors and minors are eligible to apply for educational opportunities related to Judaic Studies up to $2,000 per request.

Enrolled U-M Undergraduate Students

Al and Florence Schwartzberg Scholarship Fund

Undergraduate students are eligible to apply for funding of up to $5,000 per request from the Al and Florence Schwartzberg Scholarship Fund for tuition assistance, research projects, internships, study abroad, and similar activities related to Judaic Studies.  Primary preference will be given to students with demonstrated financial need (those receiving loans or grant funds from the Office of Financial Aid), and secondary preference to students with demonstrated academic achievement.  

Weingast Family Fund

Funding is available for all University of Michigan undergraduate students who are receiving any grant or loan funds though the office of financial aid from the Weingast Family Fund for up to $5,000 per request.   Students pursuing travel or study abroad in Israel are eligible to apply.  Preference will be given to students from LSA who will be studying for semester or year-long programs. 


U-M College of LSA International Travel Policy

All U-M students traveling abroad for university-related purposes (i.e., participating in study, research, or internship programs organized or supported by LSA departments/units or for which LSA in-residence credit is granted) are bound by the College of LSA International Travel Policy

To receive funding/credit for their international experiences, students are required to:

  • Register their travel in the MCompass Travel Registry.
  • Purchase U-M’s Travel Abroad Health Insurance and upload card to MCompass.
  • Provide contact information in case of emergency on MCompass.
  • Submit a safety plan if traveling to a U-M Travel Warning/Restriction destination. Safety plans must be submitted at least 3 weeks prior to departure and MUST be approved before funding can be released.

Learn more about the requirements and find travel resources on the LSA Travel website. You can also find additional resources on Global Michigan.

For additional assistance, please contact the Student Services Coordinator,, 734-615-6097.