CSP provides a number of employment opportunities for students to gain valuable skills that help to advance their academic and professional goals. Most positions do not require Federal Work-Study funding. During the fall and winter terms, we employ students as:
- Front Desk Assistants
- Peer Tutors
- Student Coordinators
We typically hire in the winter term for the following summer positions:
- Academic Peer Advisors
- Course Assistants
- Residential Peer Advisors
- Residence Coordinators
Visit this page periodically to learn about CSP employment opportunities and application deadlines. Available opportunities will be listed below.
Front Desk Assistant
Start Date: ASAP
Pay: $15.00 per hour
Hours: 6 hours per week
Primary Contact: Bridget Laundra (email@example.com)
Location: 1139 Angell Hall
The Comprehensive Studies Program seeks a student to join our team for the 2023 winter term. This is a great opportunity for students to practice professional office skills and the art of managing people, time, and information resources. Thorough training is provided.
Assist with front desk responsibilities in the Comprehensive Studies Program Office: Greeting & directing visitors and checking in students for their advising appointments, answering phones (providing information, transferring calls, taking messages), referring people to appropriate resources, daily updating of front desk website & other assignments as delegated: supply inventory, commons areas tidying, break room/supplies replenishment, maintaining current signage/bulletin boards, accepting deliveries, retrieving packages/mail/deliveries from the loading dock, occasional project & event assistance.
- punctual and reliable attendance
- ability to carry out the service protocols of CSP as directed
- good interpersonal skills and a positive outlook
- students with a federal work-study award are preferred
- knowledge of or experience with CSP or the Summer Bridge Scholars Program
We are currently seeking applicants who are available to the following shifts:
|8:00 a.m - 10:00 a.m.||✔||✔|
|12:00 p.m. - 2:00 p.m.||✔|
The selected candidate must be able to work during the winter term (i.e. through April 18, 2023). Opportunities to work beyond the last day of classes will be dependent upon employee availability and funding. While CSP values continuity of employment whenever possible, hiring for future terms will be determined by employee availability to work specific shifts needed.
How to Apply
Interested applicants must complete the online application:
Front Desk Assistant Application (opens in new tab)
A review of applications will begin immediately and go until the position is filled.
Academic Peer Leader (Tutor)
Start Date: Ongoing
Pay: $16 per hour
Primary Contact: Clayton Wickham
Academic Peer Leaders provide direct academic support to CSP students and students enrolled in CSP class sections. APLs work with students either individually or in groups and assist students in identifying strengths and areas for improvement, refining problem solving strategies, planning and goal-setting, and self-assessment.
- good academic standing at the University of Michigan with a 2.5 or better GPA
- grades of B or better in subject matter for which they will provide support
- strong communication skills and content knowledge
- commitment to CSP’s principles of antiracism, inclusion, and equity
Academic peer support is currently offered in a group format for math and statistics and in individual, one-on-one format for Spanish, French, Economics, Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, and Environmental Science. Tutoring in other subjects is offered as available, and applicants with other expertise are also encouraged to apply! Hours and scheduling are flexible, but group support for math and statistics requires evening availability.
How to Apply
To apply, please complete the tutor application linked below.
Summer Bridge Scholars Program Residence Coordinator
Dates of Employment: May 15 (tentative) - August 18, 2023
Compensation: $20/hour, room and board
Hours: 35-40 hours/week
Primary Contact: Alison Wang
Email any questions you may have to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited four-year college or university completed by start date
- Two years experience in higher education/student affairs or related program, residence education, and/or working with college students
- Strong leadership skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpet documents
- Ability to effectively speak with diplomacy when interacting with diverse populations (i.e. scholars, faculty, staff, parents, and visitors in the college community)
- Related graduate program in progress strongly preferred
- Supervisory or lead experience strongly preferred
- Knowledge of CSP and the Summer Bridge Scholars Program
This position is a temporary, full-time, live-in position for entering or current graduate students, or candidates who have obtained a Bachelor's or graduate degree witihn the three months of the posting start date.
If you have any questions after reviewing the job description, you can make a 20 minute office hours Zoom appointment with Alison here. Additional times will be made available in January.
How to Apply
To apply, please submit your cover letter, resume or curriculum vitae, three references, and complete the application linked below. Applications are due Tuesday, February 7 at 9am.