Note: We are currently planning for an in-person Fall 2021 program. That said, we prioritize the health and safety of all our students, community partners, faculty, and staff, and err on the side of caution when it comes to COVID-19. Thus, please be aware that our plans may change, and we will keep you updated on the structure of the program as the pandemic continues to unfold.
Semester in Detroit is accepting applications for Fall 2021 on a rolling basis.
The Fall program is open to students from UM-Ann Arbor, UM-Dearborn, UM-Flint, and Grand Valley State University. Our 2021 program begins on August 26th and ends on December 10th. The rhythm and pacing are much steadier compared to the Spring program: students are in classes for 8-11 hours per week (fall students can choose between one or both SiD electives) and intern for 16 hours per week. UM-Ann Arbor students who complete the fall program need to take only one additional required course to earn a Minor in Urban Studies.
- Earn up to 18 credits toward your UM Degree
- Intern with a community-based organization for 200 hours (avg. 16 hours per week)
- Nearly complete your Minor in Urban Studies in one semester (just one more required class in Ann Arbor)
- Absorb and engage with your experience more deeply through fall's more deliberate class schedule than spring/summer (classes meet only once a week)
- Participate in a diverse multi-campus cohort with students from UM-Ann Arbor, UM-Dearborn, and Grand Valley State University
Additionally, fall semester now features an arts and culture activities fund thanks to a generous donor. This fund, unique to the fall semester, enables students to go to ticketed events throughout the semester. Events in the past have included broadway plays, concerts, and more - all paid for by the arts & culture fund!