Skip to Content

Search: {{$root.lsaSearchQuery.q}}, Page {{$}}

Earning the Urban Studies Minor

The Urban Studies minor is offered through the Residential College (RC) at U of M. The RC is a four-year undergraduate liberal arts program with about 900 students and 60 faculty, situated within LSA. However, RC academic majors and minors are open to all LSA students. Students wishing to pursue an RC academic minor must develop a specific plan for its completion in consultation with each program's designated advisor. Appointments may be scheduled at the RC Academic Services Office, 1813 East Quad, or by calling (734) 763-0032.

All of the credits you earn in Semester in Detroit count towards the minor in Urban Studies -- which requires you to enroll in at least five classes for a total of at least 16 credit hours. 

If participating in the fall program, one additional core course on the Ann Arbor campus is required (either RCSSCI 330 or UP 425); spring students will have to take two additional courses on the Ann Arbor campus to fulfill the minor requirements (including one of the two core courses previously mentioned). Previous SiD students from the spring programs have taken classes like AmCult 301 (“Detroit Politics and Community Organizing”) and History 364 (“History of Suburbia”) to complete the minor.

To learn more about the Urban Studies minor and how Semester in Detroit fulfills the requirements, visit the LSA Urban Studies webpage.