- Apply Now
- Spring Semester in Detroit
- Fall Semester in Detroit
- Community-Based Internship
- Detroit-Based Electives
- Earning the Urban Studies Minor
- Office Hours
- SiD in COVID - Fall 2020 Semester in Detroit
Please note: the spring/summer 2020 program is no longer running due to concerns around COVID-19. Applications for sp/su 2021 will open in September.
The spring/summer program is open only to U-M Ann Arbor students. It begins in early May and runs through July. The first two months can be quite intensive: students participate in accelerated classes about 15 hours per week while also interning at a community organization for 16 hours per week. Also, students only have room in their schedule to choose one of two elective course options. In July, after spring classes have ended, the rhythm and pacing of the program change significantly: students intern for 32 hours per week and meet one day a week with their cohort. Students who complete the spring program need to take two additional courses to earn a Minor in Urban Studies.
- Earn 9 credits toward a minor in Urban Studies
- Take classes in May & June (register for spring semester only - see classes below)
- Intern part-time (16 hrs/week) in May & June
- Intern full-time (32 hrs/week) in July
- Participate in weekly "cohort days" in July, expanding your knowledge of the city and working with/learning from community partners outside of your internship