Waitlist and Permission Policies
As required by LSA, all Earth and Environmental Sciences (EARTH) undergraduate courses will have electronic waitlists in effect at the beginning of registration. Students interested in enrolling in a course that has filled should add their name to the appropriate waitlist through the on-line registration system in Wolverine Access. A waitlist number will appear on the student’s schedule indicating their sequential spot on the electronic waitlist. However, priority on the waitlist is determined by the Department policies listed below.
Waitlist Priorities in 100 and 200 level courses:
Sequential order on the electronic waitlist based on the day/time students added themselves to the waitlist.
Waitlist Priorities in 300 and 400 level courses:
- Senior concentrators
- Junior concentrators
- Sophomore concentrators
- All other undergraduate students in order of sequence on the waitlist who have fulfilled the appropriate prerequisite
From the first day of registration until the first day of each class, EARTH staff will issue permissions to students on each waitlist as seats open using the priority classifications listed above. Once the class begins, enrollment in all EARTH classes is by permission of faculty only. Students should email faculty to request permission. Permissions are issued within 24 hours of EARTH staff receiving an email from the faculty instructor.
It is recommended that faculty instructors not issue permissions until after a class has met two times. For seminar or lecture courses, students should attend the first two seminars or lectures of the course. For lecture courses with discussion and/or lab sections, students should attend the first two lectures and one discussion and/or lab section of the course. Faculty instructors can request registered students to be administratively dropped from a course if they fail to attend the first two class meetings as described above.
Students offered permission will receive an e-mail with registration information from Wolverine Access. Permissions will be valid for 2 days and will expire at midnight on the second day (which includes weekends). Failure to use the permission within the 2 day time frame will result in being automatically dropped from the waitlist. After receiving permission, students must add the class via Wolverine Access to become officially enrolled. In all cases, it is the student’s responsibility to insure he or she is properly enrolled in, or dropped from, a course.
Students and Faculty should be advised of the following:
- When a class with a waitlist closes and the first student gets on the waitlist, the class does not reopen as long as there is at least one student on the waitlist.
- Students will be automatically dropped from the waitlist when their permissions expire.
- A student can only waitlist for one section of a multi-component course.
- A student enrolled in one section of a multi-component course cannot waitlist for another section in the same association.
- Permission to enroll in a class is entirely at the discretion of the faculty instructor.