All students participating on CGIS programs are required to sign the following document.
PARTICIPATION AGREEMENT FOR INTERNATIONAL TRAVEL EXPERIENCE
By signing below, I agree to the following terms and conditions of the university related international travel experience:
Travel Risks and Waiver
- I understand that I am not required to participate in this international experience. The decision to participate is completely voluntary.
- I agree to waive and release the Regents of the University of Michigan, its employees and agents (hereinafter “U-M”) from any claim arising while participating in the international experience, whether for injury, loss, damage or expense resulting from illness, quarantine, accident, crime, natural disaster, terrorism, act of war, or government restrictions and regulations, provided that such claim is not due to the negligence of the released parties. For U-M managed programs, I agree to waive and release the program administrators, host school/organization and all of their employees and agents from the same claims.
- I understand that participation in this international experience involves risks. I recognize that I may be exposed to potential risks including, but not limited to, accident, war, natural disaster, sickness, quarantine, terrorism, serious bodily injury or death, crime, property damage and other risks that may not be foreseeable. I understand that the university cannot guarantee my safety. I have investigated the risks, including reviewing the U.S. Department of State travel information at www.travel.state.gov, and assume responsibility for any risks associated with my travel.
- I recognize that the U-M does not represent or act as an agent for, and cannot control the acts or omissions of any non-U-M program administrator, host family, employer, transportation carrier, hotel, tour organizer or other provider of food, goods, or services involved with the international experience. I understand that the U-M is not responsible for matters that are beyond its control, and that it cannot warrant the safety or convenience of the circumstances under which I will be living or working.
- I understand that I am subject to host country laws. It is my responsibility to familiarize myself with the host country laws, rules and regulations, including the import of over the counter and prescription medications. I also understand that I must continue to follow all applicable standards of U.S. law and U-M academic standards including, but not limited to, research guidelines and export control requirements.
- I accept responsibility for any tuition, fees, travel and other expenses that may be associated with the international experience. For U-M managed programs, I understand that the program organizer reserves the right to adjust fees if exchange rates affect program logistics and/or local expenses. The program organizer reserves the right to alter program arrangements or cancel as conditions warrant.
- I agree to indemnify U-M and all of its employees and agents from any financial obligations or liabilities that I may personally incur while participating in this international experience, including attorney’s fees and court costs resulting from my acts, errors or omissions. I agree to accept responsibility for any damages that I may cause to facilities, housing, or other property during the international experience.
Personal Conduct and Behavior
- I agree to conform, during the international experience, to all reasonable standards of conduct, including those provided in the U-M Statement of Student Rights and Responsibilities or by any program administrators or host organizations. If I fail to maintain any of those standards, I will be subject to disciplinary action, up to and including the termination of my participation in the experience. I accept personal responsibility for transportation costs to return home. I will forfeit any fees or other expenses incurred for the experience.
Health and Safety
- I agree to maintain required U-M travel abroad health insurance for the duration of my international experience (either by individually purchasing coverage or by confirming included coverage with my program organizer). I accept responsibility for obtaining required immunizations and researching health issues in my host location.
- I agree to comply with any U-M requests for medical clearance that may be required for my international experience, which may include completing the U-M Participation Health Form and/or the Health Care Provider Clearance Form.
- I understand that if U-M learns I am experiencing serious health problems, have suffered an injury, or am otherwise in a situation that raises significant health and safety concerns during the international experience, then U-M may contact my parents, guardians or any other person who I have provided as my “emergency contact.” I understand that the U-M does not ordinarily initiate such contact without first having a discussion with me.
- I agree to comply with the U-M International Travel Policy SPG 601.31, including following requirements for locations under U-M travel warnings or restrictions (global.umich.edu/going-abroad/planning/policy) and maintaining accurate travel registration throughout the duration of my experience through M-Compass or the Wolverine Access Travel Registry as appropriate.
- I agree to the following U-M recommended risk management precautions: I will consider obtaining U-M Travel Abroad Health Insurance for any personal/leisure travel before or after my international experience. While operation of a motor vehicle is strongly discouraged, I will consider obtaining liability and collision insurance that will cover me in the applicable foreign countries if needed. I will consider purchasing tuition insurance (if applicable) and travel insurance to protect my personal property from loss or theft.
Additional Terms for U-M Managed International Programs
- For U-M managed programs, I agree to inform official representative/s of the program or the host institution of my personal travel plans during free periods. I accept full responsibility for my activities during independent travel and during absence from supervised program activities.
- In a medical emergency if I am unable to give consent, I give permission to the program leaders to authorize on my behalf medical treatment by licensed medical personnel; this includes authorization to hospitalize, secure proper treatment, administer anesthesia, conduct x-rays, or perform surgery. I understand that this authorization is given in advance of any specific diagnosis, treatment, or medical care being required and is to serve as specific consent to any and all such diagnoses, treatment, or hospital care that is recommended or deemed advisable. When requested, I agree to make repayment of any expenses advanced.
- I accept responsibility for requesting reasonable accommodations related to a disability in a reasonable time frame before departure. I understand that I must provide the university’s Services for Students with Disabilities office with documentation of my disability to be considered for accommodations. I further understand that I am responsible for coordinating requested accommodations and that my requested accommodations may not be available at the travel destination.
- I understand that there are circumstances under which program organizers and host institutions have the authority to withdraw students from the program. Students withdrawn or dismissed from the program will not receive credit and will not be entitled to any refund. These circumstances include but are not limited to the following:
- Students whose conduct before or during the program is deemed undesirable and whose actions are in violation of the U-M Statement of Student Rights and Responsibilities.
- Students who purchase, possess, and/or use any illegal or unauthorized drugs during the duration of the program, including free time. This includes drugs that are illegal in the United States and/or of the country of participation.
- Students whose conduct is in violation of the rules and guidelines of the partner/host institution.
- Students whose conduct is in violation of regulations set forth by the on-site Resident or Program Director.
- Students whose conduct is in violation of the host country’s civil and/or criminal statutes.
- Situations in which the student’s behavior, whether academic or social, jeopardizes the reputation of the program, the participation of others in the program, or the health and safety of the student or other participants.
- Failure to participate in the required pre-departure, on-site, and post-travel orientations, programs and assignments.
- Failure to maintain application requirements (academic or disciplinary), including course prerequisites, or failure to notify program organizer of any enrollment status changes.
- Failure to report any changes to responses given within the U-M Participation Health Form after it has been submitted, such as receiving medical care, seeing a mental health provider, and/or starting a new medication.
I have read the entire Participation Agreement for International Travel Experience. I fully understand its terms and agree to its enforcement under the laws of the State of Michigan.