- Explore CGIS Programs
- Getting Started
- Financial Aid and Scholarships
- Health and Safety
- Identities Abroad
- Preparing to travel
- For your family
- Incoming Exchange Students
- The CGIS Blog
All students participating in a CGIS program must sign and abide by the conditions of the Participation Agreement in M-Compass, part of which outlines behavioral expectations.
CGIS students are expected to be in good academic standing at the time of application and to remain in good academic standing for the duration of the pre-departure and abroad experience. Academic standing will be checked at two points of the process:
1. At the time of application, CGIS advisors will review UM transcripts and screen for indication that the student is on academic probation.
- If a student is currently on academic probation, the student will be denied participation.
- Advisors will address any situations warranting special consideration with the CGIS Director or Associate Director. (Example: A French major is applying to a French language exchange program for Winter semester. The student took one course—a Physics course—in the Spring semester prior, failed it, and was placed on academic probation. This situation may warrant special consideration.)
2. After a semester ends and grades are due, CGIS will request updates on academic status for any students participating in programs in the semester following.
- If a student has been placed on academic probation, the appropriate advisor will reach out to Newnan Academic Advising (or the appropriate College advising unit for non-LSA students) for approval to allow the student participate in the program.
- If a student participating in a 230 or 203 language program has failed a prerequisite language course in the semester preceding, the student will not be permitted to participate in the program. The student will not be issued a refund.
Change in Academic Status While Abroad
If an LSA student’s academic status changes from good standing to academic probation after they have departed for a CGIS Program, the policy is as follows:
For LSA students on any type of Probation or Action Pending status at the time they go abroad, their grades from the study abroad program will determine their academic standing for the next semester after they study abroad. This will be the case regardless of whether or not the program grades figure into the LSA student’s UM GPA.
Students with questions about their academic standing should contact a member of the LSA Academic Standards Board at 734.764.0332 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Residential College and Honors students should contact their offices to ask about their procedures and policies.
Non-LSA students should consult their home school or college for details concerning probation rules and regulations.