- Explore CGIS Programs
- Getting Started
- Financial Aid and Scholarships
- Health and Safety
- Identities Abroad
- Preparing to travel
- For your family
- Incoming Exchange Students
- The CGIS Blog Archives
Updated July 2022. The most up-to-date agreement will be within the MCompass application.
By signing below, I agree to the following terms and conditions of the university related travel experience:
Travel Risks and Waiver
- I understand that I am not required to participate in this travel experience. The decision to participate is completely voluntary.
- I agree to waive and release the Regents of the University of Michigan, its employees and agents (hereinafter “U-M”) from any claim arising while participating in the travel experience, whether for injury, loss, damage or expense resulting from illness, quarantine, accident, crime, natural disaster, terrorism, act of war, or government restrictions and regulations, provided that such claim is not due to the negligence of the released parties. For U-M managed programs, I agree to waive and release the program administrators, host school/organization, and all of their employees and agents from the same claims.
- I understand that participation in this travel experience involves risks. I recognize that I may be exposed to potential risks including, but not limited to, accident, war, natural disaster, sickness, quarantine, terrorism, serious bodily injury or death, crime, property damage and other risks that may not be foreseeable. I understand that the university cannot guarantee my health and safety. I have investigated the risks, including reviewing the U.S. Department of State travel advisories, CDC Travel Health Notices, and U-M Travel Warning and Restriction designations as listed on Global Michigan, and I assume responsibility for any and all risks associated with my travel.
- I recognize that the U-M does not represent or act as an agent for, and cannot control the acts or omissions of any non-U-M program administrator, host family, employer, transportation carrier, hotel, tour organizer or other provider of food, goods, or services involved with the travel experience. I understand that the U-M is not responsible for matters that are beyond its control, and that it cannot warrant the safety or convenience of the circumstances under which I will be living or working.
- When traveling internationally, I understand that I am subject to host country laws. It is my responsibility to familiarize myself with all laws, rules, orders, regulations, and the like that may be applicable to my travel, including, but not limited to, the host country laws, rules and regulations, local public health guidelines, health testing/immunization requirements, and the import of over the counter and prescription medications. I also understand that I must continue to follow all applicable standards of U.S. law and U-M academic standards including, but not limited to, research guidelines and export control requirements.
6. I accept responsibility for any tuition, fees, travel and other expenses that may be associated with the travel experience. For U-M managed programs, I understand that the program organizer reserves the right to adjust fees if exchange rates affect program logistics and/or local expenses.
7. I understand that the U-M and/or any external program organizer reserves the right to alter program arrangements or cancel any program as conditions warrant and that I will be responsible for any associated costs that may result. These costs may include, but are not limited to, unanticipated flight changes, temporary accommodation charges or fees, and non-recoverable costs for any portion of the experience.
8. I agree to indemnify U-M and all of its employees and agents from any financial obligations or liabilities that I may personally incur while participating in this travel experience, including attorney’s fees and court costs resulting from my acts, errors or omissions. I agree to accept responsibility for any damages that I may cause to facilities, housing, or other property during the travel experience.
Personal Conduct and Behavior
9. I agree to conform, during the travel experience, to all reasonable standards of conduct, local health guidelines or orders, and public health or emergency response protocols, including those provided by any program administrators or host organizations. If I fail to maintain any of those standards, I will be subject to disciplinary action, up to and including the termination of my participation in the experience. I accept personal responsibility for transportation costs to return home. I will forfeit any fees or other expenses incurred for the experience. For students only: I will also follow the guidelines set forth in the U-M Statement of Student Rights and Responsibilities.
Health and Safety
10. I agree to comply with any U-M requests for travel health planning, which may include reviewing the U-M Travel Health Preparation Guide and/or completing the Travel Health Questionnaire & Verification in M-Compass. I understand that I am responsible for managing my own health before, during, and after the travel experience, including any pre-existing conditions or health vulnerabilities.
11. I understand that if U-M learns I am experiencing serious health problems, have suffered an injury, or am otherwise in a situation that raises significant health and safety concerns during the travel experience, then U-M may contact any person who I have provided as my “emergency contact” or any family members known to U-M. I understand that the U-M does not ordinarily initiate such contact without first having a discussion with me.
12. I agree to the following U-M recommended risk management precautions: While operation of a motor vehicle is strongly discouraged, I will consider obtaining liability and collision insurance that will cover me in the applicable foreign countries if needed. I will consider purchasing tuition insurance (if applicable) and travel insurance to protect my personal property from loss or theft.
13. I agree to comply with all University and governmental health requirements or orders for participating in the program and for returning to campus after the program concludes, including immunizations, testing, quarantine, and other local health regulations or directives.
Potential Travel Disruptions
14. I understand that events outside of U-M’s control may disrupt the travel experience, and I agree to follow U-M directives when such events occur. Such events include, but are not limited to, political unrest; natural disasters; airport closures; changing immigration and entry/exit requirements; increases in U.S. Department of State Travel Advisory levels, CDC Travel Health Notices, and/or U-M Travel Warnings and Restrictions; and changing laws, regulations, and orders, including public health regulations at the travel destination(s). I understand that I am responsible for any costs associated with travel disruptions.
Additional Health and Safety Terms for International Travel
15. I agree to maintain required U-M travel abroad health insurance for the duration of my international experience (either by individually purchasing coverage or by confirming included coverage with my program organizer). I accept responsibility for obtaining required immunizations and researching health issues in my host location. I agree to comply with the U-M International Travel Policy SPG 601.31, including following requirements for locations under U-M Travel Designations and maintaining accurate travel registration throughout the duration of my experience.
16. I will consider obtaining U-M Travel Abroad Health Insurance for any personal/leisure travel before or after my international experience.
17. I understand that it is my responsibility to understand the coverage details of the U-M Travel Abroad Health Insurance and that any cost not covered by the U-M Travel Abroad Health Insurance are my responsibility.
18. I understand that there is a possibility that I will not be able to leave the travel destination as planned due to transportation disruptions or changes in entry/exit immigration regulations and that I should be ready to shelter in place as, and if, necessary. Sheltering in place includes securing food, water, and shelter; verifying access to funds; and developing a local support network.
Additional Terms for U-M Managed Student Programs
19. For U-M managed programs, I agree to inform official representative/s of the program or the host institution of my personal travel plans during free periods. I accept full responsibility for my activities during independent travel and during absence from supervised program activities.
20. I understand that I am required to be up to date on authorized COVID-19 vaccinations and must report my vaccination using the Report Vaccination / Booster Information forms on the U-M Campus Maize & Blueprint Vaccine Site before traveling abroad unless I have an approved exemption from U-M. If I am not up to date on my COVID-19 vaccinations because I am qualified for an eligible exemption and choose to travel on a program, I understand that I've been advised of additional risks associated with traveling while not up to date on COVID-19 vaccinations and accept responsibility for those risks.
21. In a medical emergency, if I am unable to give consent, I give permission to the program leaders to authorize on my behalf medical treatment by licensed medical personnel; this includes authorization to hospitalize, secure proper treatment, administer anesthesia, conduct x-rays, or perform surgery. I understand that this authorization is given in advance of any specific diagnosis, treatment, or medical care being required and is to serve as specific consent to any and all such diagnoses, treatment, or hospital care that is recommended or deemed advisable. When requested, I agree to make repayment of any expenses advanced.
22. I accept responsibility for requesting reasonable accommodations related to a disability in a reasonable time frame before departure. I understand that I must provide the university’s Services for Students with Disabilities office with documentation of my disability to be considered for accommodations. I further understand that I am responsible for coordinating requested accommodations and that my requested accommodations may not be available at the travel destination.
23. I understand that program organizers and host institutions have the authority and right to cancel programs for health, safety or security reasons. In the event that I am en route to or at the program site during such a cancellation, I agree to depart the program site or cancel my planned arrival at the site, and return to the location designated by the U-M immediately.
24. I understand that I am responsible for all expenses related to the program, including any unforeseen expenses that may not be listed in my U-M program budget or cost sheet.
25. I understand that there are circumstances under which program organizers and host institutions have the authority to withdraw students from the program. Students withdrawn or dismissed from the program will not receive credit and will not be entitled to any refund. These circumstances include but are not limited to the following:
- Students whose conduct before or during the program is deemed undesirable and whose actions are in violation of the U-M Statement of Student Rights and Responsibilities.
- Students who purchase, possess, and/or use any illegal or unauthorized drugs during the duration of the program, including free time. This includes drugs that are illegal in the United States and/or of the country of participation.
- Students whose conduct is in violation of the rules and guidelines of the partner/host institution.
- Students whose conduct is in violation of regulations set forth by the on-site Resident or Program Director.
- Students whose conduct is in violation of the host country’s civil and/or criminal statutes.
- Situations in which the student’s behavior, whether academic or social, jeopardizes the reputation of the program, the participation of others in the program, or the health and safety of the student or other participants.
- Failure to participate in the required pre-departure, on-site, and post-travel orientations, programs and assignments.
- Failure to maintain application requirements (academic or disciplinary), including course prerequisites, or failure to notify program organizer of any enrollment status changes.
- Failure to comply with the U-M COVID-19 Vaccination Policy (up to date with COVID-19 vaccinations / approved exemption)
26. I understand that if I choose to withdraw from the program for any reason, I am responsible for any and all associated costs and am subject to the academic policies of the U-M and host institution.