Each year, the LSA Scholarships Office awards Two-Year Renewable Scholarships to transfer students entering the College of LSA from another college or university. These awards are made based on a student's scholarship application, their undergraduate admissions application, and their financial need, as demonstrated by their FAFSA and CSS profile.
Incoming transfer students admitted for fall term should complete the Two-Year Renewable Scholarship application as soon as they are admitted to ensure they are considered for all LSA Scholarships they qualify for. Read on to learn more about our Two-Year Renewable Scholarships and the application process for incoming transfer students.
What does the scholarship cover?
The Two-Year Renewable Scholarship covers educational expenses such as tuition, room and board, and textbooks.
Amounts and Duration
Award amounts vary for each scholarship and are awarded exclusively to incoming transfer students. LSA Scholarships Office provide up to $15,000 of support for in-state students or up to $25,000 for out-of-state students each year. All Two-Year Renewable Scholarships are renewable for two years of undergraduate study, provided students maintain eligibility by completing their requirements each academic year.
The Two-Year Renewable Scholarship application for the 2023-24 academic year will open January 15 and close on April 15. Decisions will be made on a rolling basis through mid to late April, so the sooner a student applies, the better their chances of receiving a scholarship. Students who wait until the final deadline to apply may be disappointed to find that all scholarships have already been awarded.
To qualify for a Two-Year Renewable Scholarship, a student:
- Must be transferring into the College of LSA from an external institution or from U-M's Flint or Dearborn campuses.
- Must be an undergraduate admitted for fall term to a degree program in the College of LSA. Students will be considered even if they haven't enrolled yet.
- Must be enrolled (or intend to enroll) full-time (12 credit hours or more) each term.
- Must be a U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident (i.e. possess a green card).
- Must apply for and receive need-based support through the Office of Financial Aid.
- Must have a FAFSA and CSS profile on file with the Office of Financial Aid (OFA) and must renew their FAFSA annually.
To maintain their Two-Year Renewable Scholarship, a student must:
- Maintain a cumulative 3.0 GPA.
- Maintain full-time enrollment of 12 credit hours or more per term.
- Must write a thank you letter to the donor of their scholarship, if applicable.*
- Must attend any special events where the donor of their scholarship will also be in attendance.**
*Not all scholarships require a thank you letter. Students will be prompted to complete a thank you letter if it is a requirement of their scholarship.
**Our office will provide details to students as these requirements arise.
How do I apply?
Eligible transfer students should complete our Two-Year Renewable Scholarship application as soon as they are admitted to LSA. The application process has four steps.
Step one: Verify your Friend Account in Wolverine Access. Instructions to do this are below under the question: How do I verify a Friend Account? If you have forgotten your Friend Account password, you can reset it here.
Step two: Once your Friend Account is verified, click the button below and log in to the LSA Scholarships application portal by using your Friend Account ID and password. If you do not verify your account, you will not be able to log in.
Step three: Complete our general application. When asked which scholarship program you are applying to, click the box for the "Two-Year Renewable Scholarship."
Step four: Once the general application has been submitted, you will then be directed to complete the application for the Two-Year Renewable Scholarship program. Submit this application for full consideration.