Skip to Content

Search: {{$root.lsaSearchQuery.q}}, Page {{$}}

Preparing for PitE

High School Student Preparation

Program in the Environment is an interdisciplinary program. There are four prerequisites in our major, some of which can be fulfilled with AP or IB credit earned while in High School. You can prepare by taking a few AP or IB courses such as Environmental Science and/or Biology. Please see U of M Admissions for the College Board scores that must be achieved in order to receive college credit.

Transfer Student Preparation

If you’re transferring in from a community college or university, you can also take courses that will prepare you for a major in the Environment. Pre-requisites for the PitE major include Introductory Environmental Science, Biology, or Geology with lab may be eligible for transfer credit.

Caution: Several University of Michigan departments do not accept transfer work completed in an online format, specifically Mathematics, Chemistry and Statistics. If you plan to transfer any courses to The University of Michigan in those areas, please make sure to take them in a classroom setting.

Visit Campus - Meet a PitE Advisor

Are you planning to visit the University of Michigan campus?  Prospective students (and their parents) are welcome schedule a meeting with an advisor in Program in the Environment to learn more about the Environment major and/or its five minors:


Contact us to schedule a date and time to meet via email: or call (734) 763-5065.